Why do people hate TLJ so much?

Daps
i know there’s a thread on this movie, but I’m not looking through 200 pages and going through cross conversations

No attention whoring, but I see it’s got a 4.7 on fan reviews over 4000 metacritic scores

I really loved it, someone tell me why think think it’s so bad if they do?

Swiggy

The King of Comedy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
For me:

- This and TFA were already praised and declared superior films than the prequels befoe either of them even dropped, and neither has topped the best movie of the prequels.

- The treatment of Luke Skywalker is far more egregious than the treatment of Darth Vader in the treatments. The inept and convenient way they portrayed him to elevate Rey is ridiculous.

- TLJ provided the single WORST scene in the entire series with Leia -_-

- Jar Jar Finn got him a Jar Jar Rose.

- Snoke :snoop:

- Phasma :snoop:

- Akbar :snoop: :snoop:

- Feminist and statement-making narrative drive.

- Not sure if Rian Johnson even saw TFA

- THE. fukkIN. SLOW. ASS. CHASE. SCENE. Did them nikkas really chase them and have a worse explanation for it than getting a copy of "Spaceballs: The Movie"? :russ: :dead:

It's bad writing, when they had an actual history of beloved characters that the prequels didn't, and made this such a shyt show of bad writing. This movie is the reason why it takes at least 3 years to get a movie up after the previous one.

Nolan tried tellin' y'all :yeshrug:

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
:russ:

Rian started writing before he saw TFA and both him and JJ admitted they both make up their own shyt and at most discussed it over 1 lunch :francis:

This movie is the reason why it takes at least 3 years to get a movie up after the previous one

This.

While Gawd Lucas will never admit it - you can see him course correcting the prequels with each film. TPM was a political movie mixed with a kid movie. Clones he went "oww so y'all don't like Jar Jar and political manoeuvring, fine here's a detective story mixed with romance:yeshrug:" and RotS was an adventure movie mixed with tragedy.

I think TLJ is a ok movie on it's own, but it falls apart as a SW episode. The 18 hour full movie chase just doesn't work. It suffers most from lazy disgrace that was TFA though.

JJ/Disney went for a soft reboot, which is why George Lucas went :hubie:

It seems like Rian also went :hubie:

Daps
Reppin
Denver
I thought it was dope.

Couple reasons why I think it’s hated on the internet as much as it is:

1. People can’t make up their own mind about shyt. I saw it Thursday night it came out and EVERYONE was laughing at the funny parts and gasping and shyt. Walking out of the theater EVERYONE was talking about how good it was. I went to TFA with friends and we all loved it in the theater. Then after a few months of the internet picking it apart now they all say it sucks.

2. It was never gonna be good enough for some people. As soon as they announced Luke, Leah and Han would be in it everybody was expecting these old ass dudes to be saving the universes again. When they used them to transition to a new story a lot of die yards had their mind already made up that it was gonna suck.

Was there a couple bad scenes? Sure. Did it get slow in the middle? Yeah. But overall it was good, and the last 45 mins were great. I enjoyed myself watching it so why would I need to go online and shyt on it? Because it’s Star Wars if it’s not an all time classic it’s automatically trash?

Daps
I agree with a few things but still loved the movie

- the space chase scene made little sense
- Flying Leia was dumb
- little too comical

The Luke shyt I don’t mind, it’s about moving The series forward he went out in a high note showing how powerful he became. He also seemed tormented so this put him at peace

Didn’t care about Phasma, all she was was a cool suit

Snoke, wish I knew more but trilogy is clearly about the evolution of Rey and Ren

Rens evolution was top notch

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
For me:

- This and TFA were already praised and declared superior films than the prequels befoe either of them even dropped, and neither has topped the best movie of the prequels.

- The treatment of Luke Skywalker is far more egregious than the treatment of Darth Vader in the treatments. The inept and convenient way they portrayed him to elevate Rey is ridiculous.

- TLJ provided the single WORST scene in the entire series with Leia -_-

- Jar Jar Finn got him a Jar Jar Rose.

- Snoke :snoop:

- Phasma :snoop:

- Akbar :snoop: :snoop:

- Feminist and statement-making narrative drive.

- THE. fukkIN. SLOW. ASS. CHASE. SCENE. Did them nikkas really chase them and have a worse explanation for it than getting a copy of "Spaceballs: The Movie"? :russ: :dead:

It's bad writing, when they had an actual history of beloved characters that the prequels didn't, and made this such a shyt show of bad writing. This movie is the reason why it takes at least 3 years to get a movie up after the previous one.

What did Nolan say?

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
For me:

Basically right there for me. People invested in shytting on Lucas for 15 years talking about how bad the prequels were and how anyone can do better. You're now seeing wha the scale really looks like. A lot of people still won't admit to themselves how much the new ones sucked, but the numbers prove how much people really give a shyt. The franchise accelerated after the Prequels. Disney churns out another 1-2 movies like this they're going to turn Star Wars into Star Trek.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
:russ:

Rian started writing before he saw TFA and both him and JJ admitted they both make up their own shyt and at most discussed it over 1 lunch :francis:

This.

While Gawd Lucas will never admit it - you can see him course correcting the prequels with each film. TPM was a political movie mixed with a kid movie. Clones he went "oww so y'all don't like Jar Jar and political manoeuvring, fine here's a detective story mixed with romance:yeshrug:" and RotS was an adventure movie mixed with tragedy.

I think TLJ is a ok movie on it's own, but it falls apart as a SW episode. The 18 hour full movie chase just doesn't work. It suffers most from lazy disgrace that was TFA though.

JJ/Disney went for a soft reboot, which is why George Lucas went :hubie:

It seems like Rian also went :hubie:

The Prequels stuck to the story line, the originals are the ones that did all the course correcting. The Prequels all tie together as intended from the start. It's about the series of events that set up the fall of the Jedi. The only hiccup is Maul getting killed, but that's why the Emperor wanted Anakin as a replacement.

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
It marks the OG trio as failures. I grew up on the EU, I got to read Luke establish the New Jedi Order, got to see the solo twins, the Thrawn trilogy, the X-wing books and more. A fully fleshed out universe that showed progress and new ideas, even if they were crazy like the yuuzhan vong.

And now Luke has failed to recreate the Jedi Order, the new republic is down and out and Han remained a scoundrel. To add to that, Finn who was a compelling character, and perhaps the second most important character in TFA wasn't given anything to work with in TLJ. They said Phasma would be given more material but it didn't amount to much. Palpatine was the most powerful Sith lord in history, but Snoke, whose supposedly more powerful, is jobbed in the second movie.

I don't look forward to episode IX. I'll just have to wait for The old republic announcement.

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
This is the end of blockbusters and large drawing movies with actual quality. This is the actual tipping point to this slide in quality.
that has occurred since mother's group ruined America on the return of the Jedi. When they changed every blaster fire weapon to a stick. That now thirty plus years later, has evolved.
to no actual real conflict resolution that actually features no confrontation and no real actual conflict resolution or even real acknowledgement of real conflict. It is rooted in feminine deflection and navigating around conflict. It is the equivalent of cell colored mother's group based non-violent conflict resolution Canadian cartoon content. being grafted onto the totality of all American domestic children's media gon completely awry. Where previously in past gens, media content of this type.
featured real conflict and real actual weapon based conflict resolution. Which gave way to the talk it out send off no weapon and no violence conclusion.
featured in every teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon after the original animated mini series.
To finally make an actual blockbuster feature the hahaha, no weapon based conflict ending.
planting itself into actual major blockbuster film property territory.

It is the biggest betrayal of the greatest film drawing blockbuster franchise in history. The absolute destruction of the true grandfather and origin of the all encompassing film and merchandising property. Nuffin will ever be of quality after this. As they just destroyed the rubrick to blockbuster film draws at the matrix. That it will never recover from proposed spreadshyt profitability ever again.

It is the worst thing to happen in film history.
Nuffin will ever be the same and nuffin will ever draw largely again.
Giving way to the computer digital romance era. Which will as a result destroy the actual draw for quality products till the end of time.

Art Barr

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
This is the end of blockbusters and large drawing movies with actual quality. This is the actual tipping point to this slide in quality.
that has occurred since mother's group ruined America on the return of the Jedi. When they changed every blaster fire weapon to a stick. That now thirty plus years later, has evolved.
to no actual real conflict resolution that actually features no confrontation and no real actual conflict resolution or even real acknowledgement of real conflict. It is rooted in feminine deflection and navigating around conflict. It is the equivalent of cell colored mother's group based non-violent conflict resolution Canadian cartoon content. being grafted onto the totality of all American domestic children's media gon completely awry. Where previously in past gens, media content of this type.
featured real conflict and real actual weapon based conflict resolution. Which gave way to the talk it out send off no weapon and no violence conclusion.
featured in every teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon after the original animated mini series.
To finally make an actual blockbuster feature the hahaha, no weapon based conflict ending.
planting itself into actual major blockbuster film property territory.

It is the biggest betrayal of the greatest film drawing blockbuster franchise in history. The absolute destruction of the true grandfather and origin of the all encompassing film and merchandising property. Nuffin will ever be of quality after this. As they just destroyed the rubrick to blockbuster film draws at the matrix. That it will never recover from proposed spreadshyt profitability ever again.

It is the worst thing to happen in film history.
Nuffin will ever be the same and nuffin will ever draw largely again.
Giving way to the computer digital romance era. Which will as a result destroy the actual draw for quality products till the end of time.

Art Barr

I think you're being a little melodramatic breh. I do agree though that the hate on this film could alter the future success of the franchise. I mean they're still going to make millions with future episodes and pass as blockbusters. However, that revenue will gradually decline as evident by the 77% drop currently being reported with TLJ.