why does larry bird have zero 40pt finals games?

The_Third_Man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Larry Bird is the only top 10 players whose playoff stats aren't better than his regular season stats. the funny thing, fans always give him props to his "will to win/killer instinct".

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know how we can settle the question of whether @Rhakim 's evaluation of Larry Bird is irrational hate or not. You need to tell us this breh:

Do you agree that everything you said in your argument about Bird not being all that and mainly being successful due to being on stacked teams but coming up short and being exposed when he's not on a team with way more talent applies equally if not even more to one Wardell Stephen Curry II?:jbhmm:

Your answer will determine the quality of your hate for Larry Legend.:obama:

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Wild how many people are posting vague pro-Larry shyt without actually looking at the series?

Bird won 2 Finals against badly outmatched Houston teams (one had a 40-42 record in the regular season and the other had 2nd-year Hakeem trying to beat arguably the most stacked Celtics team of all time). Outside of that he faced the Lakers 3 times, losing twice and barely winning the other in 7 only because Magic choked badly near the end of every Celtic win.

So this idea, "great team ball is why they were so successful" is disingenuous. They were successful because they had far, far more talent than the teams they beat, regardless of how they played. When they faced evenly matched teams they weren't very successful at all.
What you're saying applies to Magic too. So much of his Finals were injury luck.

The 1987 finals he played a Celtics team with Larry Bird having a bad back and Kevin McHale with a broken foot

In 1988 magic played 2 losing teams in the same postseason.

This is why some say we shouldn't really even prop up guys before the 90s as a whole :manny:

They literally had first round byes up until 1983 I believe.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
And what I don't understand is why he's ranked so high in people's all-time lists.. He never won B2B titles despite the stacked rosters he had.
Most of th players on those rosters aren't if famers if they aren't playing with bird. When bird got hurt, the Celtics didn't really play well I believe even when having McHale and Parish I think.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I know how we can settle the question of whether @Rhakim 's evaluation of Larry Bird is irrational hate or not. You need to tell us this breh:

Do you agree that everything you said in your argument about Bird not being all that and mainly being successful due to being on stacked teams but coming up short and being exposed when he's not on a team with way more talent applies equally if not even more to one Wardell Stephen Curry II?:jbhmm:

Your answer will determine the quality of your hate for Larry Legend.

Steph's playoff resume is underwhelming too, though I think it's a bit unfair to compare because Steph hasn't had as much time to distinguish himself. But if Steph doesn't win any more titles and has another couple years where he underperforms in a playoff exit, then I'd say that his playoff resume and Bird's playoff resume would actually look pretty similar.

@Rhakim getting sonned again :mjlol::mjlol:

Gangstar weighing in against you pretty much means you've won the argument. :obama:

Which reply most clearly rebuked my claim about most of Bird's big series and nearly all his big elimination games looking shaky in the light?

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
1984 Finals Vs Lakers in which Boston won in 7 games Bird averaged 27.4 ppg & 14 rpg :hhh:That was 1984. The game was different. Those were monster numbers :scust:

In Game 7 when it mattered most, Bird had just 20 points on 6-18 shooting. The Celtics only won cause the refs gave them 51 trips to the line (common theme for the white Celtics in the 1980s, go figure!) and Magic choked late for the 4th time that series.

27ppg on mediocre shooting is decent, though not a "monster" average in a series where the Lakers averaged 118ppg and the Celtics averaged 115ppg. If Giannis was only averaging 27ppg right now against the Suns, would we consider it great or would we consider it disappointing? It's crazy that you have to pick a series where Bird scored just 23% of his team's points as Bird's great scoring series, while Bron gets shyt on for not scoring enough in years like 2010 where he scored 28% of his team's points against the Celtics.

Yeah @Rhakim has some sort of grudge i dont get it.

Bird had bad playoff games and sometimes series. Every player in nba history not named michael jeffrey jordan has had bad playoff series playing full nba seasons.

Bird sucks lol smh
It's not about Bird having "some" bad games and series. I listed literally every single closeout game or series he played except for '86.

I listed 2 bad Finals ('81, '85), 4 other bad series losses ('80, '82, '83, '88), and 7 bad elimination games ('80, '82, '83, '84, '85, '87, '88). And that's even leaving off the injury-filled tail of his career. So what great performances does Bird have to offset that? Basically the '86 Finals when they had the greatest team in Celtics history playing an underwhelming Houston team? What else?

What you're saying applies to Magic too. So much of his Finals were injury luck.

The 1987 finals he played a Celtics team with Larry Bird having a bad back and Kevin McHale with a broken foot

In 1988 magic played 2 losing teams in the same postseason.

This is why some say we shouldn't really even prop up guys before the 90s as a whole :manny:

They literally had first round byes up until 1983 I believe.
Part of that is true. The reason why I don't see it the same as Bird is:

A. Magic lost less than Bird did, winning 5 titles in the exact same span that Bird won just 3.
B. Magic had some monster clutch games and series in huge moments, more than Bird ever had.
C. Magic was clearly a pass-first player while Bird was known for his scoring above his passing, so the fact that Bird has such poor scoring performances in big games sticks out more.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
They didn't shoot as many 3's as they do today. Look at your link, in 7 of those games he doesn't even attempt a 3, 0 attempts. Plus, they had a more well rounded team. Lower scoring games compared to today.
Crazy when you consider he was one of the greatest 3pt shooters of his entire generation.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Steph's playoff resume is underwhelming too, though I think it's a bit unfair to compare because Steph hasn't had as much time to distinguish himself. But if Steph doesn't win any more titles and has another couple years where he underperforms in a playoff exit, then I'd say that his playoff resume and Bird's playoff resume would actually look pretty similar.
Especially when you consider the fact that due to injuries and Monta, Steph didn't really establish himself as a star until he was like 26.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Larry Bird was 6'11.....I hate when people say he was 6'9. Dude was avg 11 boards for a reason. Mans was a GIANT on the court.

They make him shorter just like they make KD shorter than what he is. These dudes are 6'11 not 6'9

paul-george-larry-bird.jpeg

FPM_9379.jpg

Larry-Bird-and-Magic-Johnson.jpg
He looks the same height as magic in that pic who is 6'9" the hair just makes him seem an inch taller.
Paul george was not a good example because he actually grew a little after coming into the league and is only 6'8" now, despite being incorrectly listed at 6'9".