why does larry bird have zero 40pt finals games?

Supreme365

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC
They didn't shoot as many 3's as they do today. Look at your link, in 7 of those games he doesn't even attempt a 3, 0 attempts. Plus, they had a more well rounded team. Lower scoring games compared to today.

The 80’s scoring was comparable to today’s if not higher. The game was slow and sluggish pre 60’s and from the 90’s-early 00’s

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
The 86 team was just that a TEAM. One of the best teams on paper along with the 83 Sixers and 87 Lakers. No one person had to do everything.

So Bird's only really spectacular Finals win was when he had one of the best teams on paper ever and didn't have to do that much.

In every other season of his career, he either lost or looked really underwhelming in the win.

Hmmm....

Crazy when you consider he was one of the greatest 3pt shooters of his entire generation.
Even crazier when you see Bird shot 32% from 3pt in the playoffs for his career. Some of his series performances from 3pt include 1-6, 1-5, 1-4, 1-7, 5-16, 3-14, 2-7, 5-19, 1-14, and 0-5. Not really stand-up series for a guy who is frequently lauded as one of the all-time great shooters. For some reason Bird stans always real, real quiet about that.

Bird almost certainly has the worst career playoff 3pt% of any "great shooter" in history.

Lower scoring games compared to today.
Crazy this got 5 daps. Bird's teams scored MORE than the average team today. The pace in the NBA every single year from 1980 to 1989 was higher than 2021.

The 1980 Celtics, for example, averaged 114ppg and were still just 5th in the league. He supposedly carried that team, yet only had to score 18% of their points.

KidJSoul

Veteran
Daps
Part of that is true. The reason why I don't see it the same as Bird is:

A. Magic lost less than Bird did, winning 5 titles in the exact same span that Bird won just 3.
B. Magic had some monster clutch games and series in huge moments, more than Bird ever had.
C. Magic was clearly a pass-first player while Bird was known for his scoring above his passing, so the fact that Bird has such poor scoring performances in big games sticks out more.

Magic lost less because the Western conference was MUCH weaker than the East at the time. You knocked Bird for playing 40 win Rockets teams... when those same 40 win Rockets teams beat the Lakers to get there...

The 1986 Rockets beat the Lakers to get the finals... and probably would have won more if it weren't for Ralph Sampson's career altering back injury and the Rocket's drug abuse that gutted a lot of their young roster.
The Greatest Team That Never Was
You know how LeBron made 8 straight finals in the East? And we add the caveat that the East was really bad in most of those years?
Well that's how it was in Magic's west in the 80s. The one team that could have given him a legit challenge only lasted 2 years.

At least Bird had to play 1 decent or good team in the 76ers and Pistons on the way.
Bird's all around game was all-around. His assists numbers weren't super high but he often set up the offense. He's not without flaws, his scoring performances as you noted weren't great.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
So Bird's only really spectacular Finals win was when he had one of the best teams on paper ever and didn't have to do that much.

In every other season of his career, he either lost or looked really underwhelming in the win.

Hmmm....

Even crazier when you see Bird shot 32% from 3pt in the playoffs for his career. Some of his series performances from 3pt include 1-6, 1-5, 1-4, 1-7, 5-16, 3-14, 2-7, 5-19, 1-14, and 0-5. Not really stand-up series for a guy who is frequently lauded as one of the all-time great shooters. For some reason Bird stans always real, real quiet about that.

Bird almost certainly has the worst career playoff 3pt% of any "great shooter" in history.

Crazy this got 5 daps. Bird's teams scored MORE than the average team today. The pace in the NBA every single year from 1980 to 1989 was higher than 2021.

The 1980 Celtics, for example, averaged 114ppg and were still just 5th in the league.

I don't get it. Him not having a 40 point Finals game means he's not great?

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
He looks the same height as magic in that pic who is 6'9" the hair just makes him seem an inch taller.
Paul george was not a good example because he actually grew a little after coming into the league and is only 6'8" now, despite being incorrectly listed at 6'9".
Nah, Magic is shorter than Bird by at least an inch.
main-qimg-1d22ab4f83b1e22bc6ac21df26c2dbce

magicbird.jpg

larryandmagic_custom-52a8eb610f92fa367812fa2125e9abee9d7191db.jpg

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

Those are nice numbers an all but...:patrice: i don't think arguing that Larry Bird is a bad shooter will work with any old head or any sports figures. Might work on an online forum though. but if you bump into pro ball player in barbershop and try to say this ya'll probably be treated like a casual breh. People weren't looking at stat sheets back then, and weren't driven by analytics. Players these days will stop shooting when they are having an off night in order to preserve their percentages at the expense of winning. Can't really say a great shooter from that era was bad just because his percentage doesn't compare to modern standards

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I don't get it. Him not having a 40 point Finals game means he's not great?
No, I think 40 points is an arbitrary cutoff. Bird is one of the greats but had extremely underwhelming playoff performances, and you can see that clearly without having to use an arbitrary cutoff.

Those are nice numbers an all but...:patrice: i don't think arguing that Larry Bird is a bad shooter will work with any old head or any sports figures. Might work on an online forum though. but if you bump into pro ball player in barbershop and try to say this ya'll probably be treated like a casual breh. People weren't looking at stat sheets back then, and weren't driven by analytics.
That argument doesn't make any sense. I didn't say Bird was a bad shooter but he definitely underperformed in the playoffs. How does saying, "But old heads glorify their heroes regardless of how they actually performed!" prove anything?

Facts are facts. If you can't argue with facts then why the fukk should I take your opinion seriously?

Magic lost less because the Western conference was MUCH weaker than the East at the time. You knocked Bird for playing 40 win Rockets teams... when those same 40 win Rockets teams beat the Lakers to get there...
You do realize the west champ plays the east champ for the title, right? :why:

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
That argument doesn't make any sense. I didn't say Bird was a bad shooter but he definitely underperformed in the playoffs. How does saying, "But old heads glorify their heroes regardless of how they actually performed!" prove anything?

Facts are facts. If you can't argue with facts then why the fukk should I take your opinion seriously?
you posted his playoff stats in response to me saying he was a great shooter, if you don't disagree why did you disagree?

Darealtwo1

Veteran
WOAT
Daps
He looks the same height as magic in that pic who is 6'9" the hair just makes him seem an inch taller.
Paul george was not a good example because he actually grew a little after coming into the league and is only 6'8" now, despite being incorrectly listed at 6'9".

nikka this is PG as a young rookie, I showed you PG after he grew....nikka stop tryna make larry bird to be 6'9....He's 6'11 at the LEAST

e6e0ca465154984b43b83117bed736ff.jpg

Cyber

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tennessee
The East was a bloodbath in both the regular season and postseason unlike the run and gun inflated West of that era, he often went through a gauntlet before reaching the finals team which was usually against one of the few West teams with a respectable defense (the 86 Rockets didn't rank highly in defense but they did have Hakeem). Plus the Celtics were an equal opportunity kind of offense, Bird did a lot of his scoring off ball and rarely needed to hold the ball long in order to make a decision

A lot of teams in the 80s really didn't give a fukk about defense like that but the teams Bird faced (they used to face conference opponents way more back then) especially in the playoffs were the usual exceptions to that rule whose success wound up birthing the defensive oriented mindset of later periods before rule changes and other factors allowed the pace and space era to take hold. He would definitely have had a few 40 point games in today's environment

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
you posted his playoff stats in response to me saying he was a great shooter, if you don't disagree why did you disagree?

I didn't disagree, I used your claim to emphasize my point. My point is that Larry Bird consistently failed to step up in the playoffs. If he's a "great shooter", as we both agree, yet he only shot 32% from 3pt in the playoffs for his career, doesn't that help demonstrate my point?

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
Having no 40 point performances is no big deal, but Bird did have some shooting struggles in the postseasons/finals. It’s not uncommon since defenses tend to be tougher in the playoffs.

Still, a star player would get killed with criticism today if he got into a bar fight during the playoffs, hurt his hand, his shooting percentages go down, and then his team lost in the finals.

The lajers ducked them in 86 and lost to houston in 81 as well. Plus the lakers had caje walks in the west. Put them in the east and they dont make all those finals and bird has more ships. Its all relative

The West was definitely the weaker conference in the 80s.

Olajuwon absolutely killed them in the 86’ WCF. Sampson is the one who made the crazy game winner to advance to the finals after Olajuwon got ejected, but Akeem was unstoppable in that series.

Teams wanted their own Twin Towers duo around that time. Magic Johnson actually wanted Lakers management to trade James Worthy, and I think Byron Scott, to Dallas for Roy Tarpley and his friend Mark Aguirre. Jerry West veto’d it.

History could have gone a lot different if that trade had gone through.

Last edited:

JJ Lions

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't disagree, I used your claim to emphasize my point. My point is that Larry Bird consistently failed to step up in the playoffs. If he's a "great shooter", as we both agree, yet he only shot 32% from 3pt in the playoffs for his career, doesn't that help demonstrate my point?

Not really, you're only using the 3pt stat? A shot he didn't take that much?

And competition in the Playoffs will be tougher than average games.

Steph numbers drop as well.
Regular season vs Playoffs FG% 47.7% - 45%, 3pt FG% 43.3% - 40.1%

Playoff FG%
Steph Curry - 45%
Larry Bird - 47.2%

Larry Bird Stats | Basketball-Reference.com
Stephen Curry Stats | Basketball-Reference.com