Why is america still so religious?

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
No holy wars are a contradiction to most major religions. My point is religious people have always contradicted themselves.

Thats another debate. Saying that religious wars are a contradiction to religions is debate within the religion, it's a theological issue; it has nothing to do with the question to know whether America is religious or not.

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
Menelik II said:
it is a pew survey/questionaire, and they grade their religiousity based off that.

The questions posed on their survey leave a LOT to the imagination since they don't really go in-depth and the questions are ALL subjective.

Also, the sample size is far too small to be of any real use. They used the responses (true or not) of about 35,000 people through all 50 states when the total US population is about 327 million.

That's a little over 1% with a margin of error of about +/- 0.6%.

Would you value the opinion of ~1% of men in-regards to ANY subject as a valid indicator of the actual thinking of the majority of men in the United States with no indication as to whether they were telling the truth or not when questioned?

:jbhmm:

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
JudgeJoeGorilla said:
I'll like to add that the Westernized Christians use Christianity as a cover for their own capitalistic agenda. For example, why there's a reason why you see pastors telling their members to live one way. However, the pastors live in contrary to what they preach.

Because outliers are far more 'newsworthy' and memorable. Their exploits generate more income to the media outlets that report them.

That's why you see more news reports about pastors driving Benzes and having private jets than those driving bikes and taking offerings to help people getting evicted or helping to pay burial costs.

Ever notice it's the same 4 - 10 pastors doing the former, yet the latter are about 98% of the population of pastors in the country?

:manny:

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Thats another debate. Saying that religious wars are a contradiction to religions is debate within the religion, it's a theological issue; it has nothing to do with the question to know whether America is religious or not.
I'm not gonna go back and forth all day because we clearly aren't gonna agree. You originally named things that you viewed aren't representative of religion. My point was simply that religious people do contradictory things all the time. I'm just gonna say I disagree with you and keep it moving the United States is no doubt extremely religious.