Why was Into the Spider-Verse so damn good?

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I gotta give this the GOAT post credits for being in tune with pop culture without being super late or overly corny

095.png

:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

F K

All Star
Daps
Miami boy sittin in that producer chair , that's why :umad:

Knowledge

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's me and my daughter's favorite flick right now. She wants to watch it with her friends for her birthday sleepover this friday. The 4k bluray rip just dropped the other day.
It was so good I had to pay for it again in amazon prime :ufdup:

Anyways, it kinda rubs me the wrong way now that I know spiderman homecoming took from miles story to make that movie work

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Saw this with my son. He's 8 and it's real hard to keep his attention for an entire movie. Man, neither one of us moved. There were so many elements from serious and permanent deaths... to silly shyt like spidey pig, but he was still funny... the music was hitting. didn't OP any powers or even let him get them off like that (trying not to say too much)... he was a typical awkward teenager but not urkel type goofy and not fresh prince smooth either... there was a balance to everything. kids can watch, adults too, old style comic graphics layered on hd clarity.. it was beautiful to look at too. I wish I caught it in 3d

I just took him to see Lego movie 2 and something stood out to me. They had a joke in there about Marvel not returning their calls. Marvel and Lego do make legos, but they won't allow characters to be in the movies. Meanwhile DC does and also releases a lot of animation movies as well.

Marvel really doesn't do this (I know this is Sony, but since the collab, they been hitting). Another huge thing this had going was coming out of left field.. And with a black spiderman.. Like someone else said... it felt black and the characters felt black, without needing to be black panther, in your face, with it. It was really an authentic movie. Everything felt real

I dropped my son off the next morning and honked on him and screamed like Pops did in the movie... "I love you too dad" :mjcry:

parallax

Superstar
Daps
I can't speak for everyone but to me...

1. Low/low-ish expectations. Very few people were expecting this movie to be more than just aight at best. So the only way the movie was gonna disapoint me personally is if it was straight ass.

2. Miles was a likable and relatable character. I pretty much had my mind made up that I was gonna love this movie before Miles even made it to school. He was a refreshing protagonist especially as far as superhero protags go. He seemed "hip" and conifident and well... Black withoit coming across as pandering. But vulnerable and imperfect without coming off weak.

3. It was low-key a "Black" film. The whole style and vibe of the film felt Black to me. The Black characters sounded Black, felt Black, and didn't feel like White actors in digital Blackface. The fact that the Black characters were voiced by Black actors made a hell of a difference. Miles had a certain "swag" to the character that made me feel like "this is a Black child"

4. For comic book/Spider-man fans it was faithful to the source material. Maybe not so much a specific issue or vol of Spider-man but the heart and pathos of the character(s). "Anyone can wear the mask" is basically the Spider-man broke down to it's most base parts.

I'm sure there's some things I'm missing but thats all I got for right now. Film is an experience.:wow:

not really. what makes a spider is not falling back on loss. not everyone is fit to be one of the spider men and thats what makes them so special(even if there are a shyt ton of them)

ShaneTheRogue

Roguelike
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tennessee
not really. what makes a spider is not falling back on loss. not everyone is fit to be one of the spider men and thats what makes them so special(even if there are a shyt ton of them)

I interpreted it as anyone willing to step up can be a hero. Bouncing back from L's is a major part of that tho.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Because its continuing the marvel movie tradition of understanding, and most importantly, TRANSLATING the core mythos, ethos and pathos of their characters.

Spider Man, of pretty much every single major super hero, has the most relatable backstory.

Enter the Spider Verse took the logical leap for Spider Man and focused on showing that Spider Man is more than just Peter Parker, Spider Man is an archetype, not only within comic books, not only within the Marvel Universe (Nova and another super hero named Gravity were originally Spider Man clones despite having different powers/origins) but even with his own mythos . Meaning the put upon everyman who gains Spider powers is the core conceit of every character who wears the mantle.

Couple that with a incredible art direction, modern, hip writing that channeled stylish, youthful energy without being infantile, extremely clever and funny direction (Phil Lord and Chris Miller have been killing it since Clone High, only real ones remember that show :banderas:) and Marvel/Sony realizing that Spider Man is the true GOAT of the Marvel Universe and putting money and creative power behind the brand.

The result was incredible to say the least.

*correction: Lord and Miller produced and provided the screenplay for EtSV. Rodney Rothman, Bob Perischetti and Peter Ramsey (a breh from Crenshaw :blessed:) directed it

Last edited:

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
loss is the driving force of all spiders. its an important facet. without it you get clowns like superior and ghost spider

There will be no Superior or Spider Gwen slander round here :ufdup:

Spider Gwen easily one of the best designed costumes of the decade.

And Superior was a great arc...showcased that humility is ultimately the core of Spider Man. I'm kinda salty that Marvel keeps dragging out Ocks story as Spider Man instead of ending it where it was (or letting him remain the Superior Octopus)

parallax

Superstar
Daps
There will be no Superior or Spider Gwen slander round here :ufdup:

Spider Gwen easily one of the best designed costumes of the decade.

And Superior was a great arc...showcased that humility is ultimately the core of Spider Man. I'm kinda salty that Marvel keeps dragging out Ocks story as Spider Man instead of ending it where it was (or letting him remain the Superior Octopus)

i will slander the shyt out of that coward. getting hoed up by osborn was the highlight of the nonsense that was superior