Will Smith: It's Our Responsibility to Clean Up the Mess in the Black Community

Is Will Smith Right About Racism?

• Yes, the black community bears responsibility and must clean up the mess

• No, his opinion is short-sighted and doesn't adequately acknowledge the impact of systematic racism

Results are only viewable after voting.

William F. Russell

11x Champion; 5x MVP; 1st Black Coach
Supporter
Daps
In an interview with "Esquire," Will Smith touched on a wide range of topics (growing up in Philly, his family, working with Tommy Lee Jones, "After Earth", etc.). He also discussed race in America (particularly in the context of Ferguson) and gun issues.

In particular, he stated: "This is a gun culture. And it's painful for me, because I cannot figure out how to be helpful. I've always been telling my sons, We have to separate fault from responsibility—whose fault it is that black men are in this situation, whose fault it is doesn't matter. It's our responsibility to make it go right. It's our responsibility. It's a lot of people's fault, systemic racism, and it's a lot of people's fault that the black community is in the situation that we're in, but it's our responsibility to clean up the mess."

Big Willie certainly isn't the first black celebrity to publicly call into the question the role of the collective black community as it pertains to racially-motivated crimes and police brutality (see: Kendrick Lamar and Charles Barkley). He certainly acknowledges the presence of systematic racism but he made it a point to call blacks as a collective to task.

landscape_54cbce64e66f4_-_esq010315willsmith001-iph1080.png

Link to the interview: http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/interviews/a9938/will-smith-interview-0315/

Thoughts on his comments?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I agree with the way he framed it.

I'm usually against this type of rhetoric, but he made the clear distinction between fault and responsibility. And didn't try to excuse or diminish the systemic issues that created the environment. He simple said we can and should fight to change the conditions.

Pdiddy

Superstar
Daps
100% true......but the black community will continue to lean on Cacs to right the ship. We dont support each other enough. A local basketball team held a fundraiser...80% of the people who came out were white. 55% of the community is black.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
He's right. A bunch of outsiders can't fix our communities, the responsibility rests on us. But let the black coli militant brigade sing a different tune and call Smith a c00n.

Lol I'm waiting on this.

We need to take things Into our own hands and stop blaming others right now. It's obvious they don't care