WSJ: Spotify spent over $1 Billion on podcasts. Its not working

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Their fault for investing in celebrity more than podcasts. There's great podcasts still and they have never gotten the push these celebrity driven ones did. The space just becoming filled with celebrities made it trash.

Whenever I hear a pod ad from I heart radio on Spotify it's sounds like a grand theft auto radio ad. Straight parody and just cringe levels of bad.

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
Their fault for investing in celebrity more than podcasts. There's great podcasts still and they have never gotten the push these celebrity driven ones did. The space just becoming filled with celebrities made it trash.

Whenever I hear a pod ad from I heart radio on Spotify it's sounds like a grand theft auto radio ad. Straight parody and just cringe levels of bad.
So true. I said that when celebrities started flooding the podcast game. Them fools could’ve let the regular folks have the podcast lane but they couldn’t help themselves. I’m not listening to podcasts because of the persons name on it, I’m listening for good content. It’s like you have more podcasts than listeners at this point. There’s too many out here.

Low End Derrick

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Think Spotify was spending money on them kinda pods brehs lol. They was actually foolishly spending money on non podcaster to start a pod. And all those shyts flipped. They betting on your celebrity would bring people in, but that didn’t work.

Joe rogan pod has a constant base cause he’s a podcaster, Michelle Obama who is not a podcaster getting a bag from Spotify to start a pod was stupid and it failed
They literally have Kim Kardashian as a photographic example of they types of podcasts they're talking about

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There are a lot of great podcasts - but the most popular ones are utterly devoid of any substance.

The current financing model isn't sustainable and they've poured money into the wrong places. There's no reason to give Joe Rogan or the Call Me Daddy women tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.

Good podcasts like:

Citations Needed
Millennials Are Killing Capitalism
If Books Could Kill
Unreformed
Strict Scrutiny
Blowback

Don't get as much support as celebrity podcasts which are more or less just hour-long rambling

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I wonder how much traction and revenue The Ringer is bringing in compared to cost considering used to complain about the lack of revenue it was bringing in.

Don't matter now. Simmons already cashed out for like $200M.

But Spotify spent billions of Kardashian who don't got shyt to say and Rogan and I bet most of Hoe Rogan's listeners can't even afford a subscription.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dumbest business move ever.

And they threw 4 mill at Trevor Noah? :russ:

multiple times, especially Business Wars. Politic talk has a short shelf life.
If you're a celebrity or having anything resembling a name the easiest finesse is a rising tech company, or a current tech company trying a new venture

Tech companies will borrow and burn outrageous amounts of money in their attempt to dominate market share. Netflix overpaid comedians for years. Spotify did the same thing trying to build a podcast empire

Giving Rogan $100 million is understandable because his podcast was already extremely popular. But giving the Obama's damn near the same amount? Megan Markle? The Call Her Daddy bytch was worth $30 mil to y'all?:dead:

Them nikkas set money on fire thinking celebrity was an automatic 1:1 transition to podcasting and it's anything but. Any popular podcast out there had to get that shyt out the mud

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
The Ringer is the only part of Spotify's podcast division that is profitable :yeshrug:

I spoke to the CFO of Spotify two weeks ago in Stockholm and he told me this personally.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
i only have enough room for one podcast and even that one i listen to is hard to keep up with. I’m already 2 eps behind

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps
I love true crime podcasts :blessed: Could listen to them all day, especially with the spooky music soundtrack and scripted SFX in the background. Like a mini TV show.

melraH

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
UPTOWN
They payed Bill simmons 200 + milli and I can still listen in other platforms :russ:

And I only listen to him when celtics lose to soak up tears :hubie:

I fukks with spotify heavy though cause I was able to transfer all my Old Dorm room Parties playlists:ohlawd: I had on Itunes and they still there. But I don't need to pay a subscription to be ad-free 🏴‍☠️

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Been saying for awhile, the price of a Stream is about to go up.

It's a loss leader for Amazon, Google, and Apple; keeps you in their ecosystems that pay for other things that cover the price.