WTF was Jayz thinking going at Nas?

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
Such a gotdamn false narrative šŸ™„that has been debunked extensively numerously

Of all the people Jay has dissed in his career, how come Nas is the only one he gave life to šŸ¤”

Nas career in the dirt....=3 million albums sold between I AM and Nastradamus.
I AM rated 4 mics. Nastradamus 3.5

Lost Tapes was all music made from the period Nas was supposedly "career dead."

The narrative is simply foolhardy to anyone with common sense
First of all, I'm not from NY. So that means I'm neither from Brooklyn or Queens. 2nd, I am was 4.5 mics, Nastradamus, that sold off the strenght of IAM, WAS 3 mics. Which at the time was his lowest rated album, but I don't put stock into mic ratings. 3rd, in 2000 QB's finest dropped and it wasn't good either and still went gold. Though I Am was well received, it was still a step below IWW and the critics were harsh on that too(as they were harsh on Reasonable Doubt as they were both rated in the same Source issue with Nas on the cover(The year 2000 issue, I still have it). So even though Jay's albums weren't classics he was releasing, somehow he had the mainstream in his pocket and sometimes that's all that matters. I will reiterate my previous point, "hip hop is an unforgiving genre". You will not get 3, or 4 albums to get it right.". From 97 to 2000 Nas had dropped 4 projects and only 1 of them were good. Some of the Lost tapes was Stillmatic material. My copy of Stillmatic had Everybody's Crazy and No idea's original(not the Barry white sample version) . Like DMX , he still went platinum with The great depression and even the Grand Champ following, but that was it. Jay got him hungry again. When I criticize Nas,, his dikk riders swear I'm some Jay z fan or hating on him. When I criticize Jay Z, his dik riders swear I'm a Nas fan and hating on him. I bought both of their albums since the beginning. shyt, I bought Stillmatic 3 times and Blueprint twice. Even steve stoute said in an interview he made Nas do "ether" over because I told him if he put that out, his career was over. Yall mfers up here acting like Nas was dropping classics from 97-2000. Nas had 1 good project in that time frame and Stillmatic put him back on this path he's at now. Left that Jiggy shyt alone and just made dope music agian.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
First of all, I'm not from NY. So that means I'm neither from Brooklyn or Queens. 2nd, I am was 4.5 mics, Nastradamus, that sold off the strenght of IAM, WAS 3 mics. Which at the time was his lowest rated album, but I don't put stock into mic ratings. 3rd, in 2000 QB's finest dropped and it wasn't good either and still went gold. Though I Am was well received, it was still a step below IWW and the critics were harsh on that too(as they were harsh on Reasonable Doubt as they were both rated in the same Source issue with Nas on the cover(The year 2000 issue, I still have it). So even though Jay's albums weren't classics he was releasing, somehow he had the mainstream in his pocket and sometimes that's all that matters. I will reiterate my previous point, "hip hop is an unforgiving genre". You will not get 3, or 4 albums to get it right.". From 97 to 2000 Nas had dropped 4 projects and only 1 of them were good. Some of the Lost tapes was Stillmatic material. My copy of Stillmatic had Everybody's Crazy and No idea's original(not the Barry white sample version) . Like DMX , he still went platinum with The great depression and even the Grand Champ following, but that was it. Jay got him hungry again. When I criticize Nas,, his dikk riders swear I'm some Jay z fan or hating on him. When I criticize Jay Z, his dik riders swear I'm a Nas fan and hating on him. I bought both of their albums since the beginning. shyt, I bought Stillmatic 3 times and Blueprint twice
I Am getting 4.5 was industry politics

3.5 at best

Bar Razor

All Star
Daps
Where the F was you, locked up in the mountains, when the battle happened and Nas proved boy wasnā€™t on his level? Lol.

Iā€™m not talking about flowing or career or hot tunes or who you preferā€¦Jayz right there or above son being objectiveā€¦Iā€™m talking about locking horns scrap. Jayz out of his weight class, too light in the cakes for Esco. Not singing and playing and sounding stupidā€¦while Esco being surgical and scientific šŸ˜†, tore ya boy apart
Personally, I've never been a Jay-Z fan. I think he took over from having beats that created club hits, and drilling "Jay-hova" into people's heads over and over again. But it boils down to that I'm more of a fan of fierce flows, and Jay-Z always sounded like he was talking over records to me. Like I don't find his sound appealing. The great irony is that I do hip hop karaoke a lot at a spot I've been a regular at for years (kill it of course), and my go tos are Dirt Off Your Shoulder and N in Paris (also can't stand Kanye) because A. They are crowd pleasers and B. I actually find both songs to just be great pure hip hop songs. But if it was up to me, I'd just do Wu Tang, Kool G Rap, Black Thought etc. joints, all of whom I think are much better rappers than Jay-Z.

NV-ME

Make It Hot-ta
Daps
Reppin
FiyaStarter
Jayz a fn legend but this negro really thought his ā€œchyeahā€¦ungh huh unghā€¦we in da buildinā€ happy zookeeper ass was gonna make it out alive steppin to an apex predator. Be a brilliant business man and a fukking idiot at the same time brehs. Get destroyedā€¦.nig had a 4% chance of winning that battle. Shhit lowkey pissing me off, Ryan Garcia tryna step to Iron Mikeā€¦gtfoh, what are you doing? Youā€™re nice but heā€™s gonna rip your nose off B. Smh, yall be safe thoā€¦nig shoulda sent Sigel, he woulda got gutted too but stillā€¦you not built like that champ

Whatā€™s Nas most vicious verses?
:russ: :russ: :russ:

and u right

MikeStamina

All Star
Daps
Y'all doing that juvenile ass grasping at straws shyt .
FOCUS
We're not debating mic ratings

Logically n factually tell us how a "dead" Nasir Jones was resurrected by Jay Z

Did Nas skills or sales drastically fall off?
If so, how do you explain some of Nas' best music being on I AM n Lost Tapes?
I guess we're also pretending the original I AM never existed

Why didn't Jay resurrect Mase Prodigy Ja Dmx Hammer ? I guess Jay couldn't make them hungry šŸ™„

I'm looking for sound logic. Not just saying shyt to say shyt

I wonder if folks understand that their personal opinion does not make something a fact

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Answer the question

nas the goat

so what song u playing since 2003 from Nas

That nig Cladyclad be like

d328d73f-47c9-4ab3-9c6f-923700a192e0_text.gif

My son got brought to his f'n knees and crumbled and aint even entertaining the topic anymore, lol.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
:why: You have no fukking clue and are in no position to say that

That was truly the tail end of being able to market beef. Literally everywhere Nas went they wanted to talk about Ether. That interest propelled him back into the spotlight
nikka it was NAS

If his next album was dope he would have still SOLD records and been relevant without Jay Z beef

Nas fan base didnā€™t magically disappear in 2000/2001

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Let arrogance override your common sense and get beat to a pulp brehs

Jayz and them ashy Roc nigs all steppin to Nas..

Dynasty chose to die Nasty, šŸ˜¢

Last edited:

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Where the F was you, locked up in the mountains, when the battle happened and Nas proved boy wasnā€™t on his level? Lol.

Iā€™m not talking about flowing or career or hot tunes or who you preferā€¦Jayz right there or above son being objectiveā€¦Iā€™m talking about locking horns scrap. Jayz out of his weight class, too light in the cakes for Esco. Not singing and playing and sounding stupidā€¦while Esco being surgical and scientific šŸ˜†, tore ya boy apart

Jay was clearly better and more hungry than Nas,which is why he was so dismissive. Jays only mistake was continuing to be dismissive after Ether dropped and giving us Super Ugly:mjlol:

He was clearly trying to give the impression that Ether was nothinf and he was just going to shrug it off. But Takeover still remains the superior diss in terms of concepts and disses. Ether is just a better song and has added shock value because we never saw Nas drop the technical lyricism and basically just roast a nikka. And most importantly the beat,its mostly the damn beat:wow:

But no way in hell Nas wouldve won against 3 more verses of Takeover caliber bars. The one verse alone gets compared to the entirety of Ether:wow:. SuperUgly is basically and afterthought.

Jay probably seperated fron Rocafella because nobody told his ass SuperUgly wasnt the one lol.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
And your not factoring in the other factors. Like people wanting to see Jay lose,similar to 50cent. Plus Nas had alot of fans who were former fans glad to see him come back to the forefront,which added to the excitement. Nas represented "real hiphop",so Nas was going to have those peoples support regaardless of what diss he dropped.

This batle set the standard for strategizing in rap beefs. You see it now even with Drake,Jcole,Kendrick. Folks trying to frame themselves as underdogs being bullied. Folks dropping bait tracks and warning shots,so they can say they have the final response on some Kyle shannahan shyt. Personally I hate it,if yall got beef just keep making records til the fans call it.

UnQuantized

Superstar
Daps
Jay Z sounded like a disappointed fan on Takeover. Nas sounded like an older brother putting his younger brother in his place. Nas is four years younger.

Daps
nikka it was NAS

If his next album was dope he would have still SOLD records and been relevant without Jay Z beef

Nas fan base didnā€™t magically disappear in 2000/2001

If Run DMC & Kane were able to fall off then Nas was eligible. There was a lot of nikkax in the forefront at that point and nobody was wondering where Nas was. The music that was making its way out wasnā€™t what it need to be. Nas had enjoyed a lot of crossover success as he wasnā€™t some sort of underground darling like people who werenā€™t around wanted to make him out to be. Those people had went other placesā€¦he was ice cold