Wyclef Jean's The Carnival Appreciation Thread

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1914–1983
512jQUX4shL.jpg

I don't understand why this album is so forgotten. shyt just had so many hits in it. I remember when "Gone Til November" was playing everywhere

"Oh-oh-oh-oh, you sucka MC's, you got no floooow, I heard your style, you're S-O-S-O" :banderas:

Last edited:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1914–1983
That album is a classic... Never forgotten in the real world.

I hear you. It's crazy, though. People barely mention it when the topic of classic albums come up. Yet when it dropped I would hear its songs all the fukking time.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was thinking about this the other day. It's like The Fugees were one album wonders collectively and as solo acts. Their first album was a commercial and critical failure. Then they struck gold with The Score. Each of them went on to pursue solo endeavors. Clef struck first with The Carnival, which had some gems. At this point, Clef was seen as a genius. Not only did he drop an acclaimed solo set, but he also helped break Destiny's Child. I don't know what it was, but he fell off to me with the second album. It's when everything about him became "struggle" from the singing to the rhymes to the production. He never really came back with anything as good or as big as The Carnival. I 've heard some of the stuff he's done since and a lot of it is cringe worthy. Same with Lauryn and Miseducation (though she just disappeared altogether outside of that Unplugged album). Great album that was huge, but then :snoop: "Mystery of Iniquity" and a few other tracks were great, but outside of that ? After "Ghetto Superstar" seemingly being on the radio 24/7 when it dropped, I don't remember much else from him.

Still remember this though:

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining
Trilingual Excellence, Multiple Genre Excellence...:blessed: album....

This is the kind of album you make when the studio heads say we trust your creative decision making, considering the type of hip hop being released at the time.

I don't speak French/Creole but these were my favorite tracks off the album

Lauryn's voice shredded it :wow:

Clef with the electric rock guitars over a reggae soundscape and French/Creole, where they do that at ? :damn:

Clef channeled his inner Bob Marley, video was humble/chill too :whew:

Just a cool track :ehh:

The Carnival 2 album was :scust: though..

Last edited:

JohnStarksMiddleFinger

Benz L. Bo$$ington
Daps
Reppin
North Carolina
Trilingual Excellence, Multiple Genre Excellence...love this album....

I dont' speak French/Creole but these were my favorite tracks off the album

The Carnival 2 album was :scust: though..

Breh! I thought I was the only that fukked that song! Throw that shyt on the car during a hot summer day :whew:

Last edited: