Wyclef Jean's The Carnival Appreciation Thread

Mega

Superstar
Daps

This one is my favorite, though. The chick singing at 02:03 :ohlawd:

Yep. Never knew what he was saying but I've always liked "Jaspora"

Jaspora= Diaspora.
In the song Cef is talking about some members of Haitian Diaspora back in the days that fronted as if they were not Haitians.

The chorus "Jaspora, mwen pa respeke Jaspora"= Diaspora, I don't respect Diaspora.

This album is certified classic in Haiti. GenX and Millennials in Haiti know this album front to back.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Love this album.
Was pleasantly surprised that it was a mainstream hit. There are entire songs in Kreyol, and didn't think people could rock with album with so many songs they couldn't understand.

After the sales of The Score, I guess the label gave him complete creative freedom.

Also, will say the same thing about this album as the Score and Miseducation. Gets lost in the shuffle sometimes, because they are hard to categorize in people's minds.

The artist is a rapper, but is this technically a rap album?

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Love this album.
Was pleasantly surprised that it was a mainstream hit. There are entire songs in Kreyol, and didn't think people could rock with album with so many songs they couldn't understand.

After the sales of The Score, I guess the label gave him complete creative freedom.

Also, will say the same thing about this album as the Score and Miseducation. Gets lost in the shuffle sometimes, because they are hard to categorize in people's minds.

The artist is a rapper, but is this technically a rap album?

Never looked at it as anything other than a rap album TBH; Miseducation on the other hand is an R&B album IMO and I'll die on this hill.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Everyone loved this album in real time. People secretly bought it...or Columbia House/BMG, and would play it and just let it rock. It did get lost in the shuffle though...

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Since this thread was upped, I taped a performance years ago that I lost and have NEVER been able to find.

It was at a major awards show the year the album came out, and Clef performed Apocalypse with a famous Black opera singer doing the background singing (concerto de une voix).