Ya'll using ChatGPT to rewrite your dating profiles?

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
I tried but the response i got was overly corny and chatbot like

Look What ChatGPT Did to My Online Dating Profile​

How did we get to Sloth Poop?
Erin Carson headshot

Erin Carson
http://www.twitter.com/erincarson
Feb. 16, 2023 10:12 a.m. PT
7 min read
When ChatGPT rewrote my online dating profile, it turned me into a manic pixie dream girl.
SOPA Images

For the record, I don't own socks with sloths on them. Stripes? Sure. Argyle patterns? Absolutely. I have three pairs with the CNET logo on them. But no sloths.
ChatGPT thinks I might, though, and it also thinks this fact could get me matches on Hinge, or Bumble, or any dating app that has the audacity to ask me for a random fact about myself.
Click to read more Love Syncs.
Here's a random fact about me: When I tested how ChatGPT might handle rewriting my dating app profile, the experimental AI chatbot tried to turn me into a cringey manic pixie dream girl who forgets to water her "jungle" of houseplants, dances to her favorite "tunes" and is looking for "a fellow weirdo" to go on *shudders* "adventures" with.
In the last few months, humanity has been discovering the capabilities of AI tools with a fast-churning mix of horror and fascination. Art created by artificial intelligence is so cool -- except maybe it rips off human artists. ChatGPT can write songs, but does that mean creativity no longer lives in the penthouse of a building the robots don't have the keycard to?
When I first read a PR pitch mentioning ChatGPT could be used to write bios and answer prompts on dating apps, I casually quipped into the void, "But of course." Then I started wondering what kind of dater AI could be. Could I create the world's most effective dating profile via the power of machine learning?
I set to work crafting prompts, starting simple, then goading ChatGPT toward increasing chaos.
Prompt: "Write a 500-character dating app bio for a woman who likes music, books and houseplants."
Answer: "Music lover, bookworm, and proud plant parent. I spend my free time singing along to my favorite tunes, diving into the latest bestseller, and tending to my ever-growing collection of houseplants. Seeking someone who shares my passions and is ready to join me on spontaneous adventures, cozy nights in, and trips to the local nursery. Let's swap book and album recommendations while sipping coffee and discussing our favorite genres. Bonus points if you have a green thumb!"
Gross. An exclamation point? In a bio?! I would never.
Prompt: Write a funny one-sentence response to the dating app prompt: "My zombie apocalypse plan is..."
Answer: "My zombie apocalypse plan is to teach the zombies the cha-cha slide, because you can never have too much cardio in a crisis."
I stared at the response. It's a little funny. Cardio in a crisis? Is that from something? Does ChatGPT understand the underlying absurdity?
I tried to inject some subtlety and subtext.
Prompt: "Write an opener message for a dating app but don't ask the person out on a date yet. You've just watched the most recent episode of The Last of Us and are feeling emotionally vulnerable."
Hey, if Bill could booby trap his soulmate in the middle of a fungal apocalypse, maybe there's still hope for everyone else.
Answer: "Hey there! I just finished watching the most recent episode of The Last of Us and I'm feeling a little emotional. I couldn't help but notice we both enjoy the game. Want to commiserate about the ups and downs of the post-apocalyptic world and all the feels it brings?"
Can you wince yourself out of existence like the last twinkle of light from a star that died eons ago?
Then I asked ChatGPT if it believed in life after love.
The worst offender of them all sent a spidering splinter through my soul within the first two words.
Prompt: Write a funny opener message for a dating app but don't ask the person out on a date yet. The person shares your interest in cats and indie music.
Answer: "Meow there! I couldn't help but notice our shared love for cats and indie music from the 2010s. I have a feeling we could spend hours talking about our favorite fur babies and debating the best album from Fleet Foxes. Want to join forces and start our own feline-friendly indie band?"
Meow there. MEOW THERE? If someone sent that greeting to me, I would delete the entire dating app, put my phone in a plastic bag, pitch it as far as possible into the depths of the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Waste Repository and spend the rest of my life training pigeons to deliver hard copies of memes to my friends.
In an effort to process my feelings, I called TikToker Amelia Samson. Samson makes TikToks about the chemical fire that is modern dating and particularly about the mind-bendingly strange and offensive profiles floating around on The Apps. She gives voice to the rage-swaddled disbelief you feel every time someone writes "just ask" in their bio.
ChatGPT is like the cringiest guy you've ever dated.
Amelia Samson, TikToker
"Oh no," she said, when I read the "meow there" response to her over the phone, "ChatGPT is like the cringiest guy you've ever dated."
There was so much to unpack. Could it be OK to use material from ChatGPT as long as it's accurate and you just need some help packaging what you want to say about yourself? Do other daters need to know you used ChatGPT? (I'd sure want to know.) What happens if you start talking about cha-cha sliding with zombies on your profile but can't muster that level of quirk in real life?
"I think that there are ways to use it, especially for dating apps and writing things about yourself that are honest and make sense," Samson said, "[but] as it keeps progressing, and growing and getting smarter, people could start to abuse it, and that's what I think is so scary about it."
Dating apps already struggle with problems like filters, bots and catfishing. The Federal Trade Commission reported that people lost $547 million to romance-based scams in 2021. And even if some hopeful dater with a ChatGPT account isn't trying to get you to pay for his pet iguana's surgery, misrepresentation is an age-old problem in the dating world.
The jig is up, folks. You never finished reading Infinite Jest.
I never should've asked ChatGPT to write my dating profile.
Getty