Misc You Guys Like Metal?

Peter Parker

Superstar
Daps
Oh shyt, forgot about this hidden gem of a thread. Good re-up.

@Broletariat @Peter Parker how ya'll feel about Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer? Weakling - Dead As Dreams? Eyehategod - Take As Needed For Pain?
Dead As Dreams is fukking insane, one of the best Black Metal albums I've ever heard in my life, damn shame they only made that one album. Never been too big on EyeHateGod and I can't say I've heard the Burning Witch album to comment on it

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
Anyone a fan of skindred? (their older stuff)

They filmed the video for nobody gets out alive in Toronto years ago. Got paid 75 to be in the video. Kicked it with the lead singer. Remembered me years later when I caught them and non point. We talked about Skunk Ananse. Was surprised I knew them.

joeychizzle

光復香港,時代革命
Daps
Reppin
They filmed the video for nobody gets out alive in Toronto years ago. Got paid 75 to be in the video. Kicked it with the lead singer. Remembered me years later when I caught them and non point. We talked about Skunk Ananse. Was surprised I knew them.
:ohhh: sweet

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Mithras - Worlds Beyond the Veil
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Deicide - Legion
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are the Sick
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Slough Feg - Down Among the Deadmen
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Gorguts - Obscura
Bathory - Blood, Fire, Death
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Sepultura - Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation
Massacra - Final Holocaust
Immortal - Pure Holocaust
Summoning - Dol Goldur
Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream
Morpheus Descends - Ritual of Infinity
!T.O.O.H!- Rad a Trest
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops

and more. Great genre of music.

:dwillhuh: :damn: You really really understand the positive aspects of Metal music, and that's hard to find among Metal fans on metal forums (they usually just want to hear riffs, speed and or technicality) let alone on a sports/Hip Hop board. Goddamn, this list is official :wow:.

I don't listen to Burzum on principle (I'll admit of what I heard the songwriting is there, but I can't listen to a Nazi cac), but the majority of your list is indicative of truly distinguished, discerning taste and genuine understanding of Metal's awesome ability to narrate through structure.

I really recommend based on the above Septic Flesh's Mystic Places of Dawn and Esoptron, particularly the former.

Northern Son

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Classic albums:

@Asantehene

By best composed I don't mean greatest show of technicality. If I did, I'd stan shyt bands like Dream Theater, Dillinger Escape Plan, Necrophagist etc. I'd like Paganini more than Corelli, etc. Technicality is cool, but it's not what I look for exclusively. Some of the best and dopest metal bands are really simple, like Havohej or Burzum. But they express something using musical language in a metal framework. I don't fukk with most sludge stuff (I like Neurosis and Jesu to an extent) because I just don't find it that impressive.

Black Metal isn't about complexity or technicality either. It's about using melodic development to express the self. Good metal at it's core is sorta like music from the baroque->romantic period; it expresses through composition.

For example those two bands i posted are actually quite conventional in some respects. They use consonant melodies to construct their music, but do so in a very intelligent way. Atheist is incredible because they twist 80s and 90s death metal riffs perfectly into a free jazz framework like Coltrane or Coleman, and there's a similar tonal approach. Yet it's still intrinsically metal. Compare this to a Between the Buried and Me or other 'progressive' bands that simply play in contrasting time signatures and throw in keyboard interludes here and there to give an impression of being free and forward thinking. But all they're doing is pasting things together from different sources without integrating them and building upon them thematically and musically. At the Gates are incredible on that album (and their second, but they later became shyt), because they drive songs forward using musical motifs with contrast in counterpoint and harmonization. It seems simple, but the intertwining melodies they use are modern classical in nature almost like a Bruckner. Listen again, and note that this music is not based upon repetition or novelty, but upon a progression from one point to another that supercedes a rock paradigm into something approaching the ambient or romantic music spectrum. You have to see beneath the noise to discover the melodies underneath. They may be dissonant, but they're there.

Sorry if that's incomprehensible. But don't be fooled by the label of 'progressive'. Most of these guys calling themselves so aren't constructing things smartly, just fast and with different time signatures :beli:

I don't expect people to enjoy or like it though :yeshrug:

Fantastic post.

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
If you aren't listening to Cobalt's "Slow Forever" you lost :ufdup:

shyt is so, so good :ohlawd:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
The latest Nails album, You will never be one of us, finally leaked. :ohlawd:

This is like 10/10 :blessed:

If you are at all interested in grind, death, or hardcore, you'll like this shyt. All their albums have been amazing

Hope

God's Grace
Daps
Reppin
NYC
The latest Nails album, You will never be one of us, finally leaked. :ohlawd:

This is like 10/10 :blessed:

If you are at all interested in grind, death, or hardcore, you'll like this shyt. All their albums have been amazing
Hearing it's great, they are fun, but just not my style. Have a chance to see them in NYC, bu the venue sucks, not worth time. Zao is playing soon in same venue with Jesus Piece. Those small Veneu aggressive shows are not fun any more. I'm fancy and on another level.

Gonna see Gojira/Tesseract in October. And Summer Slaughter tour (only for Nile and After The burial) this July.

after this i'm retiring from shows for 5 years.