‘You look like the help’: the disturbing link between Asian skin color and status

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
‘You look like the help’: the disturbing link between Asian skin color and status
The Racist Hierarchies in Asian Cultures You Probably Didn’t Know Existed

Outside a hotel lobby in Toronto earlier this year, an elderly Asian woman stopped my mother and me to ask what time a tour bus would be arriving. Then, the woman asked in broken English: “Are you Philippine?”

“Yes,” my mom replied.

“Ahh, you look Korean!” the woman exclaimed. My mother graciously thanked her.

I darted my eyes, offended and confused at the implication that looking Korean over Filipino should somehow be taken as a compliment. Later I asked my mother: “Why did you thank her?”

“I don’t know,” she admitted sheepishly.

Throughout the years, strangers have told me how “white” I look. Non-Filipino Asians who were surprised by my heritage told me not to worry because I looked Japanese or Korean or Chinese; I never looked like their version of Filipino. And years ago, I would’ve replied exactly like my mother to that elderly woman. In my own family, the notion that fairer skin was more beautiful was always an unspoken rule. My mother filled the bathroom cupboards with Asian beauty products that promised flawless, whiter skin.

She wasn’t alone. Women—and not just Asians—around the globe are subject to the pressure of having fair skin. Skin bleaching is a 10-billion-dollar-a-year industry. And this obsession with skin color isn’t just about beauty: It has real-life consequences that can stretch to everyday prejudice, class status, and quality of life. Many layers of systematic oppression are hidden behind seemingly innocuous compliments and beautifully-packaged day creams. Filipinos, a population that traditionally has darker skin than other East Asian populations, are hit extra-hard with this reality. In California, “Filipinos are the Mexicans of Asia” is a well-known saying among Filipino and Latino communities—an adage that holds extra weight in the age of Trump.

One quick Google search brings up countless personal anecdotes laying bare these prejudices. But the dynamic of idealizing light skin is far from new. The post-Spanish colonial Philippines looked to none other than the Virgin Mary for beauty inspiration. According to Filipino scholar Nicanor Tiongson, Filipinos wanted to resemble the sculptures of saints found in their Catholic churches during this time period.

But it goes back even further than just worshipping the Catholic saints: Joi Barrios Le-Blanc, a lecturer with the South and Southeast Asian Studies department at The University of California, Berkeley, tells me that Filipino preference for fair skin dates back to the Binukot, a pre-Hispanic practice reminiscent of Japan’s geisha. The Binukot, often a wealthy girl, was chosen for her beauty from a very young age, was not exposed to sun and was raised on a hammock so her feet never touched the ground. Described traditionally as “pale as the moon and incomparably beautiful,” the Binukot retained their fair complexions because they were not allowed to work in the fields. Like the Binukot, who was pale simply because her higher class status forbade outdoor labor, fair-skinned immigrants receive privileges their darker skinned counterparts did not.

This longstanding bias bleeds into an international Asian hierarchy, on which Filipinos are considered the bottom rung. Because of its high unemployment rate, high inflation rate, and widespread income inequality, the Philippines remains one of the poorest countries in Asia. Some Filipino immigrants can’t obtain any other work simply because their qualifications aren’t recognized by host countries. (Often, Filipino doctors become nurses abroad because it is too costly and time-consuming to retrain as a doctor in their host countries. The pay as a nurse is still more lucrative than remaining a doctor in the Philippines.)

Some people in East Asian countries “have a tendency to look down on South East Asian countries, viewing them as poorer countries who have less political power,” Barrios LeBlanc told me.

Unfortunately, this prejudice also occurs among fellow Filipinos, and it seems to stem from skin color. Barrios mentioned that the Aeta people, an indigenous group in the Philippines characterized by their dark skin and curly hair, are often marginalized by their own patriots.

“Many people in the lowlands feel superiority towards other ethno-linguistic groups,” Barrios says. She recounts a story where her Filipino friend, married to an African American man, was jokingly warned by a colleague that her children would be seen as Aeta if she took them to the Philippines.

When Sierra Adkins, a Filipino-American, worked as a teacher in South Korea, she was encouraged to not disclose her Filipino heritage. In a blog post for Pilipino American Unity for Progress’ website in 2013, Adkins wrote that a colleague explained to her that Filipinos are “ranked lower socially” because Filipino immigrants in South Korea commonly take maligned gigs as nannies or prostitutes. “Filipino women were seen as second-class and unfit to teach the uber-rich students at my Hagwon,” she wrote. Adkins left Korea after only four months.

Many Asians of previous generations—both in Asia and North America—strictly adhere to this hierarchy. Courtney*, a close Filipino friend, noticed this bias in her Chinese mother-in-law. She’d matter-of-factly share her thoughts anything from Filipino-specific health conditions to stereotypes of Filipino women’s promiscuity. Her mother-in-law’s antiquated views caused Courtney a lot of grief. Though she married within her race, Courtney still felt like she wasn’t “the right kind of Asian.”

One of only times Courtney felt acceptance from her mother-in-law was when she’d comment on Courtney’s lighter skin. “She asked my husband why I was pale because Filipinos are dark,” Courtney told me. “And then said, ‘Oh, I guess she’s not so bad because she’s not dark like the rest of them.’”

Filipinos aren’t much better; the Tagalog phrase “Mukha kang katulong,” which translates to “You look like the help,” is a fairly common insult within our community. As a teen, I remember it being used to poke fun at an aunt who had gotten a suntan. This attitude even shows up in pop culture. In Singapore, a sketch comedy show called The Noose features a Filipino character named “Leticia Bongnino” whose repeated catchphrase (said in a heavy Filipino accent) is, “My name is Leticia and I am a maid.” Her character speaks broken English and has a Bangladeshi boyfriend who can only say the word “yes.” Leticia’s appearance is frumpy and unfashionable; she wears a children’s clip to pin back her short bob. A Twitter account under Leticia’s name uses bad grammar and has tweets like “BREAKING: Leticia have to clean windows today or no dinner for me.”

This hierarchy has certainly affected the way I’ve been perceived—and even the way I perceive others. In “passing” as half-white, Korean, Japanese, or any other Asian ethnicity that “ranks higher,” I have accepted a certain privilege and social acceptance from the Asian community. I have graciously thanked strangers for insisting that I have mixed heritage and that I don’t look like the typical Filipino. Given the global disdain for our darker skin and our roles as caregivers, it’s no wonder we find comfort in being mistaken for someone we’re not.

But nowadays, I’ll no longer nod politely. And the next time someone compliments me for not looking Filipino, I will say, “Actually, I do.”

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
I've talked about this in random threads after traveling in and around Asia. this way of thinking is very "in your face" in Hong Kong. the middle class and up all have Filipino maids who are treated pretty poorly. the maids work long hours, sometimes are expected to sleep on the kitchen floor...and only have Sundays off. because their families are back on the Philippines, they congregate with other maids on the floors of subway stations around the city.
8.jpg
filipinezes1.jpg

Thai women have a complex around light skin as well. good luck on finding sunblock in Thailand that doesn't have whitening chemicals :mjpls:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
After becoming friends with a Korean dude who married a Japanese chick...i quickly learned that the inter asian community is probably the most racist one...

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I've talked about this in random threads after traveling in and around Asia. this way of thinking is very "in your face" in Hong Kong. the middle class and up all have Filipino maids who are treated pretty poorly. the maids work long hours, sometimes are expected to sleep on the kitchen floor...and only have Sundays off. because their families are back on the Philippines, they congregate with other maids on the floors of subway stations around the city.
8.jpg
filipinezes1.jpg

Thai women have a complex around light skin as well. good luck on finding sunblock in Thailand that doesn't have whitening chemicals :mjpls:

that's pretty grim

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
The poorest people outside of rural White America that fill the poorest neighborhoods or backwoods of the South tend to be brown to very dark skinned. Katrina evacuee footage in Louisiana and other parts of the Delta looks like Haiti. And the multigenerational highly skilled, educated or middle income fams are varying complexions or light like Russell Wilson's. Hardly ever see dark skin families with generational wealth and education. Glad that African immigrants are dispelling this and strengthening the intellectual and financial gene pool.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
My mother-in-law said that her youngest son was the cutest of her babies because he was the lightest.

:martin:

Here's a good, short book that explores the subject of Asian colorism:
s-l300.jpg

Edit: Link Fail.

Last edited:

Idaeo

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DC
Koreans ladies also go to great lengths to shield themselves from the sun. Umbrella, sun visors...they all crave the whitest skin possible. The skincare ads you see around the country are like this

article-2684956-1F7A987700000578-4_634x1049.jpg

joeychizzle

光復香港,時代革命
Daps
Reppin

I hate this class system. bytches dodging the sun like they're fukking vampires. They think that the lighter you are the higher class you are cuz it means you work in the sun (i.e. outside, manual labour) less. Personally idgaf and enjoy my time in the sun, chilling on the beach.
Thankfully the newer generation is slowly, slowly changing that viewpoint.
Internationalized Asians like us who aren't stuck in their own communities always been chill tho.

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
does @Camile.Bidan look like the help :jbhmm:

I do.

I look more like a native South East Asian, than many American immigrants from South East Asia except for Cambodians. Most Filipinos, Indonesians, and Malaysians that come here come from Chinese backgrounds. Many of them don't even realize it until they take DNA tests. But looking at most of them in Daily city or milipitas, it's obvious they don't come from native backgrounds.

But what is a "Native" South East Asian anyways? They are half breeds of the old Black Asians and Invaders from East Asia. Invaders, who from the Genetic record, appear have been escaping the Expanding Han Empire 4-5 thousand years ago. I certainly come from a Native background that is nearly 90% Austronesian from Taiwan and 10% native Black Asian, which is the result of multiple genetic tests.

some 50% of the Y-dna lineage in the Philippines appears to come from the older Black Natives rather than the East Asian Invaders from Taiwan. My grandmother has a maternal line that goes back the Native Black Asians.

The Ancient Chinese spoke of the "blacks" that used to be in Asia, and have since been nearly wiped out or bred out of existence.

At the end of the day, the East Asian hatred of dark skin, wider noses and larger eyes in South East Asians, is hatred of Black people and their features because that is where south east asians got their features from. You can laugh and point it out, but it's just more evidence that all people hate black people? Does that feel good to hear? I would imagine not.

ⒶⓁⒾⒶⓈ

Doctors without Labcoats
Daps
Reppin
Payments accepted Obamacare,paypal and livestock
At the end of the day, the East Asian hatred of dark skin, wider noses and larger eyes in South East Asians, is hatred of Black people and their features because that is where south east asians got their features from. You can laugh and point it out, but it's just more evidence that all people hate black people? Does that feel good to hear? I would imagine not.

Or the colorism is the legacy of thousands of years of invasion, colonialism and Imperialism from the lighter skinned Japanese,Han chinese and Koreans...

Camile.Bidan

Banned
Daps
Or the colorism is the legacy of thousands of years of invasion, colonialism and Imperialism from the lighter skinned Japanese,Han chinese and Koreans...

Yes, but we come from earlier Neolithic invasions. Austronesians came in and wiped out (whether intentional or not) the black asians and the history of their meeting lives on in us and our Polynesian cousins.

The remaining black asians left in south east Asia are treated like garbage and there are less than 40K of them left. They are treated like sub humans by us-- the Malays. It's no better than how chinese treated us, but the relationships are analogous.

The Chinese came in 500-600 years ago and plainly outsmarted us, worked harder than us, and had more focus and drive than us. Let's be real, east Asians are much smarter than Malays. Singapore is a testament to that.

We had our great ancient civilizations, but they didn't last. They won, and they will continue to win. It's too late to turn the tide.

Malays like lighter skin and non-malay looks because East Asians are superior to us in nearly every aspect in life. Malays want to be East Asians. Some may get jealous, and want to kill and hunt chinese. But reasons are the same.... Its a recognition that another group out-performs your own by a significant margin.

Even I have been married to a Chinese women for the last 8 years. I have two children, and they don't really know anything about Malay culture. They only know Han culture.

They will probably gone on to marry east Asians or whites. And the self inflicted wipe-out of Malays will continue as it probably happened to the native blacks of Asia.

It is what it is.