You mean to tell me I've been living a lie when it comes to squats?

luckyse7enz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit/Los Angeles
So, for the longest, I've been doing squats and when I learned to do them, I believe I was told to keep feet flat, my heels down, toes slightly outward, feet about shoulder-width apart, and....

....absolutely do NOT let your knees pass your toes. :ufdup:

(Put a pin in that for a second)

I've been doing it that day for years, deep below parallel even, and my form's been pretty decent up until the past few years when I've gone up in weight. (275, 315 for sets of 10-12, but never wanted to go beyond and I always work out solo).

Lately, my stance has started to become slightly staggered with my right leg inching forward and I've been paying for it with a bit of hip pain. I obviously noticed and, of course, I figured it was because I'd become lax with the form and overcompensated for the extra weight.

Did some reading up and heard that some (established) guys stagger a bit, but it still didn't feel right.

Last night, I'm squatting and this guy comes up and asks to work in. "Of course".

Dude starts pulling out his knee wraps and he's got the Romaleos on, so I'm watching like :leostare:

I figured if there was ever a person I could ask to critique my form, it'd be this cat. I chat with him and dude seems like a squat junkie, so he helps me out a bit when I'm in motion, letting me know if my foot's come back, when I'm going too wide, and if I'm angling. It's a solid experience. I get the form that I want, even though it feels off now.

So, I'm heading out after the workout and I'm talking to the front desk guy about what happened and how I'm trying to fix my squat. At some point, I mention that I might be overcompensating for weight AND trying to be strict to the "no knees over the toe" thing...

(Unpin it now)

He goes, "Oh...yeah, man...you know? Turns out that's a myth. Check it out. Look up Julian Smith on Instagram."

I check it out and the guy on there's doing all sorts of squat variations with good amounts of weight and basically keeping his feet down but at some points, he's doing his squats with both legs in, shoulder-width, sumo, sissy, you name it. :ehh:

I get home and do my googles. Turns out that EVERY place is saying it's a myth. Same with lunges. :dwillhuh:

I'm going to try it out. Of course, I'm not about to get all crazy with form. I keep my pause & full control :dame:, but I'm going to try to tear quads up this summer. I've never been able to shred them.

What are your thoughts? :jbhmm:

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

luckyse7enz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit/Los Angeles
Yea I've been letting my knees go forward for years. I have a good bit of forward lean too. You have to squat in a way that works for you. I've tried to squat like other people and hurt myself :snoop:

From what I've started seeing now, the knees going slightly over your toes is fine, so long as you aren't unbalanced and ON your toes. Restricting the motion of your knees puts more torque on the hip, apparently.

I guess....don't lean and just keep the feet down without worrying about a barrier between the knees and the toes.... :patrice:

I'm probably going to end up in one of those Youtube black holes tonight, watching squat videos.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
:lolbron:

Yea.... good squat checklist is probbably:

- push from middle of foot
- feet and knees should be pointed in same direction
- depth should be parallel or just under (I don't believe in ATG, a lot of people just use it as a bounce reflex)
- descent should be controlled

Everything else either doesn't matter (how far your knees go ahead of your toes) or is personal choice (high bar, low bar, stance width)

IMO better to not over think it. Just follow like 3-5 cues at setup and through each rep. Record your form to see where you are doing well and need to improve. Everything else falls into place

semtex

:)
Daps
People ignore basic physics for longer leg squatters.

"Don't let your back lean over"

I'd lose all balance if I did that
You definitely have to lean forward. Whoever said otherwise must be doing them smith machine squats that them IG thots be doing :mjlol: I initiate the squat by pushing my hips back then start to drop it low and bend my knees

Entropy Fan

Superstar
Daps
You definitely have to lean forward. Whoever said otherwise must be doing them smith machine squats that them IG thots be doing :mjlol: I initiate the squat by pushing my hips back then start to drop it low and bend my knees

Yea. I have very long femurs so when I sit back the bar gets far from my mid foot so I have to bend my short ass torso over a decent amount.
Some people don't get people have to squat differently.

I've seen some long torso types squat to the ground and barely bend their backs

• Dap
Reactions: Meh
Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
Even though I'm near a foot taller than he is I stole some of my squat cues from Eric Lilebridge in terms of bar, hand, knee tracking and foot placement

I tried it out a few years ago videoing my lifts and doing side by sides with his (pause) been lifting similar ever since

Low bar just below parallel just really works for ME.

I use long pause (5-10 seconds) front squats a lot for teaching positioning etc

As a tall dude as long as my knee follows the line my foot points in I'm all good. I don't trip if my knee sort of tracks over my foot or if there's some but not excessive forward lean since I'm moving some long ass limbs and compensation has to happen somewhere.

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
Never worried about form too much, if it feels right after the workout then I'm doing what best for me. As long as my muscles are sore and not my joints, I'm good.