YouTube on that bull

Balla

Superstar
Daps
YouTube tightens the rules around creator monetization and partnerships
Posted 6 hours ago by Anthony Ha (@anthonyha)
youtube-unplugged.png

In an effort to regain advertisers’ trust, Google is announcing what it says are “tough but necessary” changes to YouTube monetization.

For one thing, it’s setting a higher bar for the YouTube Partner Program, which is what allows publishers to make money through advertising. Previously, they needed 10,000 total views to join the program. Starting today, channels also need to have 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of view time in the past year. (For now, those are just requirements to join the program, but Google says it will also start applying them to current partners on February 20.)

This might assure marketers that their ads are less likely to run on random, fly-by-night channels, but as Google’s Paul Muret writes, “Of course, size alone is not enough to determine whether a channel is suitable for advertising.”

So in addition, he said:

We will closely monitor signals like community strikes, spam, and other abuse flags to ensure they comply with our policies. Both new and existing YPP channels will be automatically evaluated under this strict criteria and if we find a channel repeatedly or egregiously violates our community guidelines, we will remove that channel from YPP. As always, if the account has been issued three community guidelines strikes, we will remove that user’s accounts and channels from YouTube.

Muret also described changes planned for the more exclusive Google Preferred program, which is supposed to be limited to the best and most popular content. Vlogger Logan Paul was part of Google Preferred until the controversy over his “suicide forest” video got him kicked out last week— a story that suggests some of the limitations to Google’s approach.

Moving forward, Muret said the program will offer “not only … the most popular content on YouTube, but also the most vetted.” That means everything in Google Preferred should be manually curated, with ads only running “on videos that have been verified to meet our ad-friendly guidelines.” (Looks like all those new content moderators will be busy.)

Lastly, Muret said YouTube will be introducing a new “three-tier suitability system” in the next few months, aimed at giving marketers more control over the trade-off between running ads in safer environments versus reaching more viewers.

YouTube tightens the rules around creator monetization and partnerships

Ezus Jezus

Ezus Shuttlesworth
Daps
Reppin
ONE in boy DC
Why don’t They realize that their content creators are vastly more important than the advertisers? Nobody goes to YouTube to buy shyt and most people run Adblock anyway. They are opening the door for the content creators to leave or for the competition to create better platforms.

Balla

Superstar
Daps
U mean me? Or in general ?

I dont have youtube. I was thinking of doing YouTube, but thought I'd share this if anyone was interested.

What are you complaing about? if you only had 1k subs, and 4k hours viewed, you were probably making $20 a month lol

ba'al

Vasectomy Gang
Supporter
Daps
Why don’t They realize that their content creators are vastly more important than the advertisers? Nobody goes to YouTube to buy shyt and most people run Adblock anyway. They are opening the door for the content creators to leave or for the competition to create better platforms.
Lmao, youtube has a monopoly and is connected with google. Not to mention when you say "content creators" you essentially mean people who make reaction videos, gamers, beauty tutorials, vloggers and rehashed skits. It's so many cookie cutter channels and youtube personalities it would be beneficial imo if some did decide to quit. Less click bait and forced jokes. And all the major social sharing sites are doing things similar and cracking down on content they aren't fond of honestly.

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
Lmao, youtube has a monopoly and is connected with google. Not to mention when you say "content creators" you essentially mean people who make reaction videos, gamers, beauty tutorials, vloggers and rehashed skits. It's so many cookie cutter channels and youtube personalities it would be beneficial imo if some did decide to quit. Less click bait and forced jokes. And all the major social sharing sites are doing things similar and cracking down on content they aren't fond of honestly.
I mean lots of people like to see that though.

BeeCityRoller

New Bee
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Queen City
I don't think YT will ever be profitable, at least not with this model.
I hope they are never profitable. I've seen Youtube pioneers who had 5-10 years worth of content have their channels deleted over false community guideline strikes but people like pewpie and logan paul unapologetically get the youtube spotlight. I always run Adblock and if there is a Youtuber I want to support I donate to their PayPal or Patreon, not Superchat because Greedy Google takes 30% of that

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

They are legit making it where any company with the money for infrastructure could swoop in and take their spot.