Zimbabwe Succession Watch: Mnangagwa is the second president of the Republic

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mugabe reportedly offered asylum in Equatorial Guinea

Former president Robert Mugabe has reportedly been offered political asylum in Equatorial Guinea.

A leading weekly‚ The Standard‚ quoting sources‚ reported that Equatorial Guinea President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo had paid a visit to his close friend Mugabe at his private residence‚ the Blue Roof in Borrowdale‚ where the offer had been made.

However‚ Mugabe is said to have warmly declined the offer.

"This is my home‚ I will die here. I will visit you as and when I want to but I will never abandon my people‚" Mugabe is reported to have said.

The paper also reported that Mugabe had complained that his successor‚ President Emmerson Mnangagwa‚ was keeping a close watch on his movements.

Since stepping down after military intervention in November 2017‚ Mugabe has spoken only once to the media when he revealed that his family's security was compromised. Only pictures and videos of the former head of state have surfaced on social media‚ which have been posted by close family during celebrations such as his birthday and family dinners.

Mbasongo and Mugabe - both at some point Africa's longest serving leaders – cemented their friendship in 2004.

Zimbabwe arrested former British soldier and mercenary Simon Mann who led a band of 69 soldiers en route to Equatorial Guinea to unseat Mbasongo on 7 March 2004.

Their Boeing 727 was seized by Zimbabwe's security forces when it landed in Harare to collect weapons.

In 2015 at the request of Mbasongo‚ Mugabe sent military experts to one of Sub-Sahara's leading oil producers.

This old mans willpower is something else

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mnanagagwa won't move on Mugabe before the election. No one knows how solid his political base is at the moment. There was a new party formed by disgruntled Mugabe loyalists, they are closely linked to some of his former people. I have seen some pictures of their rallies in Mashonaland and Midlands and they were fairly well attended. Mugabe still has some cache among some of their own supporters and chucking him out would be dicey. He has however been summoned to appear before a parliamentary inquiry into missing revenue from diamond mining allegedly worth $15billion. The tricky part is that the military has its hands deep down in that mess along with a lot of the current lot.

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's lucky that Morgan Tsvangorai (sp?) is dead. The opposition won't be able to challenge ZANU-PF rule. Hell, they don't even have to rig the election!
Mnangagwa does not have the same cache as Mugabe. Hell he used to lose elections in his constituency to unknown MDC members. ZANU PF relied on violence in 2008, got into a coalition and the economy slightly improved but then proceeded to mess things up again when they got into power. People are sleeping in queues early morning to withdraw like $50 from the bank if at all. The cast of characters is the same and I suspect without rigging they won't have that brand. The one surprising thing is how the new administration has reversed course on foreign policy, they have become pro- West than i have ever seen. Mnangagwa was bragging about receiving a 100million from the UK

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mnangagwa does not have the same cache as Mugabe. Hell he used to lose elections in his constituency to unknown MDC members. ZANU PF relied on violence in 2008, got into a coalition and the economy slightly improved but then proceeded to mess things up again when they got into power. People are sleeping in queues early morning to withdraw like $50 from the bank if at all. The cast of characters is the same and I suspect without rigging they won't have that brand. The one surprising thing is how the new administration has reversed course on foreign policy, they have become pro- West than i have ever seen. Mnangagwa was bragging about receiving a 100million from the UK
Why can't these old n!ggas just die off already ? :snoop: