70s soul vs 90s R&B

Which is better: 70s soul or 90s R&B

• Total voters

SupaDupaCool

Superstar
Daps
70s!!!!!!!!!! The best decade in music to me. You could feel everything they were singing!!!! You felt it in their soul.

The 70s is definitely the golden age of all the traditional radio genres for sure.

Not only did you have so much diversity and creativity in our music--R&B, Soul, Disco, Funk, Reggae, new age Jazz, Fusion Jazz--but even on the other side there was such unprecedented talent and creativity with Heavy Metal, Punk, the whole Stadium Rock bands, Soft Rock, Jazz Rock, Progressive Rock. And then at the tail end of the decade you had the beginning of Hip Hop, House music, Dancehall, New Wave, Post Punk. Even Salsa music started in the 70s. What a time to love music. The undisputed GOAT era of musical talent and diversity.

Its a shame really that popular music has been reduced to just House/Dance Pop and Hip Hop today for the most part. Kids really dont know how shallow and boring consuming music today kinda is.

DaRealness

I think very deeply
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I grew up in the 90s, but I have to give it to 70s soul. The 90s was definitely a dope period in music, but the 70s stood head and shoulders above it.

Interestingly enough, when I was younger a lot of much older people (I'm talking 50s and up) felt that music started to decline in the 1980s.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The 70s is definitely the golden age of all the traditional radio genres for sure.

Not Only ew age Jazz, Fusion Jazz--but even on the other side there was such unprecedented talent and creativity with Heavy Metal, Punk, the whole Stadium Rock bands, Soft Rock, Jazz Rock, Progressive Rock. And then at the tail end of the decade you had the beginning of Hip Hop, House music, Dancehall, New Wave, Post Punk. Even Salsa music started in the 70s. What a time to love music. The undisputed GOAT era of musical talent and diversity.

Its a shame really that popular music has been reduced to just House/Dance Pop and Hip Hop today for the most part. Kids really dont know how shallow and boring consuming music today kinda is.

All facts!!!!

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
Hard to beat Soul.

full

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
This.

I'd take the 80's over the 70's and the 90's.

The 80's was a mixture of old school real musicians and the new technology with drum machines, samplers ect.

And don't get me started on Anita Baker and Luther Vandross in the 80's or Micheal Jackson(Human Nature) and Prince(The Beautiful One's, Adore ect...) in the 80's. Give me the 80's.

with all due respect breh, 80s had some incredible studio producers like Jimmy Jam n Terry Lewis (started with Prince), Leon Sylvers at SOLAR records, Kashif etc genius underrated producers.. but George Duke, Bill Withers, Earth Wind And Fire, Parliament Funkadelic, James Brown and the JBs, Herbie Hancock, Isaac Hayes, Teddy Pendergrass (including his Bluenotes stuff)... it's not even close.

did I even mention Manu Dibango and Fela Kuti?.. :wow:

70s is unmatched.
those cats were touched by the ancestors:wow:

edit 1:
Roger Troutman is and was a genius. he would've popped in ANY era.
Bootsy Collins and George Clinton helped get his record deal, they knew he was special from the jump.

Last edited:

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
Early 2000s Neo-Soul (Badu, Jill Scott, D'Angelo, Dilla, Dwele, etc) is the only other period that comes close. Otherwise the 1970s is the undisputed golden age of Soul and R&B. No question.
the scariest part about this era is THAT sound was solely from J Dilla (he obviously had a lot of help from D'Angelo and his band).

⠀X ⠀

Geoff
Daps
I voted 90’s, but that’s because it’s what I grew up on. I think the 80’s was the best though.

Kool

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
with all due respect breh, 80s had some incredible studio producers like Jimmy Jam n Terry Lewis (started with Prince), Leon Sylvers at SOLAR records, Kashif etc genius underrated producers.. but George Duke, Bill Withers, Earth Wind And Fire, Parliament Funkadelic, James Brown and the JBs, Herbie Hancock, Isaac Hayes, Teddy Pendergrass (including his Bluenotes stuff)... it's not even close.

did I even mention Manu Dibango and Fela Kuti?.. :wow:

70s is unmatched.
those cats were touched by the ancestors:wow:

Bruh... I'm one of the oldest nikkas on this board and I love 70's music... but with all that shyt you posted I'd still take 80's music over the 70's.

Also... a lot of those groups you posted were still making major hits in the 80's. Like these two songs...

So... like I said... with the 80's you had oldschool shyt and the new school shyt. The 80's has way more variety of dope ass music.

Last edited:

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
Bruh... I'm one of the oldest nikkas on this board and I love 70's music... but with all that shyt you posted I'd still take 80's music over the 70's.

Also... a lot of those groups you posted were still making major hits in the 80's. Like this...

So... like I said... with the 80's you had oldschool shyt and the new school shyt. The 80's has way more variety of dope ass music.

why do black men start getting antagonistic and catty when we disagree?

also what does being old have to do with having a musical ear?

I love all the artist you posted, got all their albums.

was just having fun in the thread :yeshrug: