70s soul vs 90s R&B

Which is better: 70s soul or 90s R&B

• Total voters

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I admire the respect between black men and women and the ability to feel and be in love, regardless of the outcome. Men were so much more expressive of emotions then. MFs now are mean to one another on purpose, just so they don't get heartbroken.

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
90s R&B was largely formulaic and structured by corporate interests.

Not saying there weren’t great singers and producers. But once a sound was established - that was the way it had to be:

Jodeci kinda broke through that whole barrier into another structured lane.

But 70s soul was a completely different animal - real musicians, actual instruments, decades of skill and experience, talented world-class musical geniuses were at work in creating some of the most timeless, creative, and soulful music imaginable. So much experimentation was going on with the sounds at the time - black excellence at its finest.
:duck::duck:

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
70s soul. But I do think 90s R'n'B is pretty damn good though, especially compared to the shyt now. Donnell Jones where I wanna be, is leagues better than the shyt today.

I don't know what went wrong, but we do have SoundCloud and shyt, I guess.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
70s soul. But I do think 90s R'n'B is pretty damn good though, especially compared to the shyt now. Donnell Jones where I wanna be, is leagues better than the shyt today.

I don't know what went wrong, but we do have SoundCloud and shyt, I guess.

Good RnB isn’t mainstream. Unfortunately what they consider rnb today is straight pop and melodic hip hop smh. Let’s not even get into how they’re terrible vocalists.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
The 70s is definitely the golden age of all the traditional radio genres for sure.

Not only did you have so much diversity and creativity in our music--R&B, Soul, Disco, Funk, Reggae, new age Jazz, Fusion Jazz--but even on the other side there was such unprecedented talent and creativity with Heavy Metal, Punk, the whole Stadium Rock bands, Soft Rock, Jazz Rock, Progressive Rock. And then at the tail end of the decade you had the beginning of Hip Hop, House music, Dancehall, New Wave, Post Punk. Even Salsa music started in the 70s. What a time to love music. The undisputed GOAT era of musical talent and diversity.

Its a shame really that popular music has been reduced to just House/Dance Pop and Hip Hop today for the most part. Kids really dont know how shallow and boring consuming music today kinda is.
I felt like we ran out of ideas honestly:yeshrug:

What totally new genre we can create now? Everything been done, so we can only expand on subgenres and microgenres. shyt you can see this in rock. No compleyely new subgenre since the mid 90s.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
I grew up in the 90s, but I have to give it to 70s soul. The 90s was definitely a dope period in music, but the 70s stood head and shoulders above it.

Interestingly enough, when I was younger a lot of much older people (I'm talking 50s and up) felt that music started to decline in the 1980s.
The 80s , despite having clear cut gems, did OD with the electronics. I felt like music in the 90s stabilized a bit after the novelty of the electric keyboard and drums wore off.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
I admire the respect between black men and women and the ability to feel and be in love, regardless of the outcome. Men were so much more expressive of emotions then. MFs now are mean to one another on purpose, just so they don't get heartbroken.

Brazil had their own soul superstar during the early 70s: Tim Maia

You don't have to know Portuguese to feel this man's passion :wow:

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
Bobby Brown and BBD says otherwise...,, Plus I thought we were talking about music? Not Image.
You right, I still think they really popularized the overtly sexual lyricism tho. In contrast to the Boyz II Men shyt that was going on before they came on. No disrespect to any other 90s artists

Brazil had their own soul superstar during the early 70s: Tim Maia

You don't have to know Portuguese to feel this man's passion :wow:

I thought this was breh I hadn’t heard before, until he started singing and it came out in a whole nother language, caught me off guard :russ:

Great composition, seems like I could have held his own against any American, I wonder how he’s actually respected in Brazil tho with the whole racial situation there

Dynamite James

The Main attraction
Daps
Reppin
You know
I
You right, I still think they really popularized the overtly sexual lyricism tho. In contrast to the Boyz II Men shyt that was going on before they came on. No disrespect to any other 90s artists

I thought this was breh I hadn’t heard before, until he started singing and it came out in a whole nother language, caught me off guard :russ:

Great composition, seems like I could have held his own against any American, I wonder how he’s actually respected in Brazil tho with the whole racial situation there
in 1993 Jodeci didn’t have a record as sexual as these... Jodeci didn’t start getting really sexual until after the first album. 1992:

Last edited:

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
I think my order is:

70s (Motown, Philly International, Jackson Five, Earth, Wind & Fire, Bill Withers, Curtis Mayfield, P-Funk, Aretha, James Brown, Isley Brothers, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Al Green, Donna Summer, Stevie. Wonder, Natalie Cole, Rick James, Commodores, Chic, Michael Jackson, Prince)
60s (Motown, Stax, Sly & the Family Stone, Aretha, James Brown, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Temptations, The Supremes, The Impressions, Ike and Tina Turner)
80s (Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston, Luther Vandross, Anita Baker, Freddie Jackson, Chaka Khan, Lionel Richie, Gap Band, Rick James, Teena Marie, Keith Sweat, Sade, Tina Turner, Solar Records, Janet Jackson, Patti LaBelle, Pointer Sisters, Jam & Lewis)
50s (Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, James Brown, Frankie Lymon, Isley Brothers, The Platters)
90s (LaFace, Uptown, Mary J Blige, Keith Sweat, Lauryn Hill, Mariah Carey, SWV, D'Angelo, R Kelly, Boyz II Men, Jodeci, Janet Jackson, Maxwell, Aaliyah, Erykah Badu, TLC)
00s (Alicia Keys, Usher, Destiny's Child, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Pharrell, John Legend, Rihanna, Keyshia Cole, Andre3000, Jill Scott)
10s (Chris Brown, Bruno Mars, Rihanna, Beyonce, The Weeknd, Drake, SZA)

Last edited: