70s soul vs 90s R&B

Which is better: 70s soul or 90s R&B

• Total voters

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
You right, I still think they really popularized the overtly sexual lyricism tho. In contrast to the Boyz II Men shyt that was going on before they came on. No disrespect to any other 90s artists

I thought this was breh I hadn’t heard before, until he started singing and it came out in a whole nother language, caught me off guard :russ:

Great composition, seems like I could have held his own against any American, I wonder how he’s actually respected in Brazil tho with the whole racial situation there
Tim Maia is very respected by both black people and cacs in Brazil. He sold out shows right up to his passing in 1998.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Nigeria also had a good funk/psychedelic rock scene during the late 70s

Daps
Reppin
Bucktown, U.S.A. (Harlem, NY) + 'Cuse, NY
70s Soul.

Even though all that music is way before my time I've grown to appreciate it thanks to my pop schooling me...sometimes on the weekend, I'll play Marvin, a little Mayfield, some Stevie, Isaac, etc.

Funny thing is that I don't like 90s R&B all that much outside of Mary J in particular and a few others. I much prefer the late 90s/early 00s Neo-Soul of Badu, Jill Scott, D'Angelo, etc.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Same late 80s to mid 1990s is the best R&B IMO
That era made it harder for me to choose but I still went with the 70s. Hard to beat the funk, soul, disco of that era.

to me it’s 70s>60s>90s=80s>00s (I will say the early 00s neo soul is under appreciated)>10s

Cape Town JHB

All Star
Daps
I think my order is:

70s (Motown, Philly International, Jackson Five, Earth, Wind & Fire, Bill Withers, Curtis Mayfield, P-Funk, Aretha, James Brown, Isley Brothers, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Al Green, Donna Summer, Stevie. Wonder, Natalie Cole, Rick James, Commodores, Chic, Michael Jackson, Prince)
60s (Motown, Stax, Sly & the Family Stone, Aretha, James Brown, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Temptations, The Supremes, The Impressions, Ike and Tina Turner)
80s (Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston, Luther Vandross, Anita Baker, Freddie Jackson, Chaka Khan, Lionel Richie, Gap Band, Rick James, Teena Marie, Keith Sweat, Sade, Tina Turner, Solar Records, Janet Jackson, Patti LaBelle, Pointer Sisters, Jam & Lewis)
50s (Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, James Brown, Frankie Lymon, Isley Brothers, The Platters)
90s (LaFace, Uptown, Mary J Blige, Keith Sweat, Lauryn Hill, Mariah Carey, SWV, D'Angelo, R Kelly, Boyz II Men, Jodeci, Janet Jackson, Maxwell, Aaliyah, Erykah Badu, Aaliyah, TLC)
00s (Alicia Keys, Usher, Destiny's Child, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Pharrell, John Legend, Rihanna, Keyshia Cole, Andre3000, Jill Scott)
10s (Chris Brown, Bruno Mars, Rihanna, Beyonce, The Weeknd, Drake, SZA)
shyt was :wow: till you got to the 2000a:scust::snoop:

backbreaker65

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Passage of Time
I think my order is:

70s (Motown, Philly International, Jackson Five, Earth, Wind & Fire, Bill Withers, Curtis Mayfield, P-Funk, Aretha, James Brown, Isley Brothers, Rufus and Chaka Khan, Al Green, Donna Summer, Stevie. Wonder, Natalie Cole, Rick James, Commodores, Chic, Michael Jackson, Prince)
60s (Motown, Stax, Sly & the Family Stone, Aretha, James Brown, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Temptations, The Supremes, The Impressions, Ike and Tina Turner)
80s (Michael Jackson, Prince, Whitney Houston, Luther Vandross, Anita Baker, Freddie Jackson, Chaka Khan, Lionel Richie, Gap Band, Rick James, Teena Marie, Keith Sweat, Sade, Tina Turner, Solar Records, Janet Jackson, Patti LaBelle, Pointer Sisters, Jam & Lewis)
50s (Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, James Brown, Frankie Lymon, Isley Brothers, The Platters)
90s (LaFace, Uptown, Mary J Blige, Keith Sweat, Lauryn Hill, Mariah Carey, SWV, D'Angelo, R Kelly, Boyz II Men, Jodeci, Janet Jackson, Maxwell, Aaliyah, Erykah Badu, TLC)
00s (Alicia Keys, Usher, Destiny's Child, Beyonce, Mariah Carey, Pharrell, John Legend, Rihanna, Keyshia Cole, Andre3000, Jill Scott)
10s (Chris Brown, Bruno Mars, Rihanna, Beyonce, The Weeknd, Drake, SZA)

John Legend nikka say WHAT!!!!

70's should have thought about Cameo who also leaked over into the 80's, L.T.D. also Jeffrey Osborne in the 80's. How Alexander O'neal didn't make the 80's I'll never know.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
John Legend nikka say WHAT!!!!

70's should have thought about Cameo who also leaked over into the 80's, L.T.D. also Jeffrey Osborne in the 80's. How Alexander O'neal didn't make the 80's I'll never know.

Or Stephanie Mills and Frankie Beverly & Maze having a presence in both the 70s and 80s.

Bands like Slave, Brick and Con Funk Shun in the 70s and 80s.

MeLisa Morgan, Kashif and Lillo Thomas in the 80s.

Not enough space to include all the greats.

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
70s soul and nothing comes close

90s R&B relied too much on Hip Hop for features and beats and couldn’t capitalize on New Jack Swing past a couple of years.

Singers from her 90s didn’t remotely have the vocal abilities of 70s singers and leaned too much on their producers/writers, who were doing all of the dirty work. Dudes like Kellz and Babyface put R&B on their backs both as producers, writers and singers.

in the 70s, the whole damn group/band had to bring something to the table and look at how many of the records from back then still hold their weight and then fed so much of the 90s rap that beefed up the second golden age.

Hip Hop producers who were kids in the 70s used that influence to bless us with so much piff when they grew up.

Last edited:

Swahili P'Bitek

Absorbingpovertywithoutlimitations
Daps
Reppin
Mtaani
70s because not only of the sound but also the topics. From love to Afro-centrism to genuine conscious street music. Hip Hop took the street edge off RnB and left it only with love songs and wannabe RnB thugs in the 90s. 70s>80s>90s.