A Florida girl had her SAT result flagged. She says she didn't cheat and hires famous lawyer.

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
A Florida girl had her SAT result flagged. She says she didn't cheat and hires famous lawyer.
By Steve Almasy and Hollie Silverman, CNN
Updated 12:45 AM EST, Thu January 03, 2019
190103001607-kamilah-campbell-sat-controversy-super-169.jpg

(CNN)Kamilah Campbell wants to go to Florida State University and major in dance. She has a 3.1 grade point average and a lifetime of dance experience.

But after getting her score from the SAT after her first try -- a 900 -- Campbell decided she needed to do better. Her mom got her a tutor, she took online classes and she got a copy of a The Princeton Review prep book.

Seven months later, in October, the high school senior from Miami Gardens, Florida, took the test again.

Later, when she got an envelope in the mail from the testing company, she was shocked when she opened it.

It was a letter. Not results.

"We are writing to you because based on a preliminary review, there appears to be substantial evidence that your scores ... are invalid," it said. "Our preliminary concerns are based on substantial agreement between your answers on one or more scored sections of the test and those of other test takers. The anomalies noted above raise concerns about the validity of your scores."

Campbell felt like she was being accused of cheating and she wants to know why she cannot get her new score.

She believes her second total score was flagged because it was so much better than her first. She said she called the company and a representative told her she had a combined 1230 from the reading, writing and language, math and essay sections on her second effort. A score of 1600 is perfect.

"I did not cheat. I studied, and I focused to achieve my dream," she told reporters Wednesday. "I worked so hard and did everything I could do."

Zach Goldberg, a spokesman for The College Board, the company that conducts the SAT, said a score is never flagged for review solely on score gains. Score gains are celebrated, he said.

Scores could be flagged for a number of reasons, including testing sheets having similar answers or an incident occurring at the testing site, he said.

Prominent civil rights attorney Ben Crump, a Florida State graduate, got involved when asked to help by other FSU alums. He is steering Campbell and her mother through the process of demanding The College Board validate her score in time for her to be accepted into the Florida State dance program.

At Wednesday's news conference he said they are giving the company two weeks to respond to a demand letter.

He reiterated that they believe the score is not being validated because Campbell improved 330 points.

"Instead of celebrating her and celebrating her achievement they are trying to assassinate her character, and we won't stand for that," he said.

Daisy Gonzalez-Diego, the chief spokeswoman from the Miami-Dade School District, said the situation was "disturbing."

"Although this is a test administered by a private entity, and not M-DCPS, we feel a moral obligation to intervene," she said. The school superintendent has asked The College Board for assurances the investigation will be quick.

Goldberg said reviews typically take four to six weeks.

CNN's Tina Burnside contributed to this report.

mag357

Superstar
Daps
Don't know shyt about school... or the SATs...
But hope this gets resolved soon.
That is amazing... Early congratulations to that young sister...I'm going to try and keep up with this story...
I dnt know but how in the world would it be possible to cheat on the SATs

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Daps
Reppin
San Jose
How can you cheat on an SAT???:gucci::gucci::gucci:

It's fairly easy. When I took the SAT they didn't have people check IDs at the testing center so you could go in and take someone else's test for them :francis:. Girl in the OP probably got flagged by an algorithm for answering the hard questions right. The algorithm probably also compared her SAT score to her GPA. In my opinion this is flawed since I've known plenty of people who did not do well in school (they simply didn't care) but aced the SAT.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Daps
Reppin
San Jose
Don't know shyt about school... or the SATs...
But hope this gets resolved soon.
That is amazing... Early congratulations to that young sister...I'm going to try and keep up with this story...
I dnt know but how in the world would it be possible to cheat on the SATs
What kind of schools did yall go to breh :mjlol:. At my school there were guys who made 10s of thousands of dollars to take tests for others. They used to not check IDs at testing centers. Some testing centers are still like this breh.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY

It's fairly easy. When I took the SAT they didn't have people check IDs at the testing center so you could go in and take someone else's test for them :francis:. Girl in the OP probably got flagged by an algorithm for answering the hard questions right. The algorithm probably also compared her SAT score to her GPA. In my opinion this is flawed since I've known plenty of people who did not do well in school (they simply didn't care) but aced the SAT.

That's stupid tho... I remember taking the sat's in highschool and they made sure you didn't cheat had two monitors walk around and everything no other electronic devices either...:dahell: so because she got a 900 the first time then TOOK it again after STUDYING hard they think she cheated, what a person can't be smart anymore???

hatealot

Banned
Daps
My theory is she got flagged for her scores statistically being above the stand deviation compared to her peers for her increase in score. System saw this along with other variables and assumed that this is outside of the normal probability.

The College Board reports that 55 percent of high school juniors improved their scores when taking the test again as seniors. The average score improvement for all students retaking the SAT was 40 points. About 4 percent of retakes resulted in critical reading or mathematics score increases of 100 points or more. Score drops on subsequent test attempts occurred for 35 percent of students, while 10 percent experienced no change in their scores.

Now if they are saying 4% of students on re-takes score 100 points or more, then more than likely she fell into that X <1% of students whose increased their scores.
Hope they are able to get some money from this and lil lady should look at it as she broke the system and their expectations. I hope they don't force her to re-take the test

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Daps
Reppin
San Jose
That's stupid tho... I remember taking the sat's in highschool and they made sure you didn't cheat had two monitors walk around and everything no other electronic devices either...:dahell: so because she got a 900 the first time then TOOK it again after STUDYING hard they think she cheated, what a person can't be smart anymore???
What screwed her over was that she scored a 900 the first time, that's an extremely low score. You could probably score that by just guessing :francis:. As a result the alarms went off once she scored way above that score. Is it right? No. My theory is that the first time she either didn't study or just guessed. This isn't about race though as that uneducated poster @Swagnificent is claiming. That dude is the most dumb smart breh on this site :mjlol:. Full of conspiracy theories. He thinks that black Americans come from native Americans and that NASA lied about the moon landing. He's also a flat earth theory fgt.

mag357

Superstar
Daps
What kind of schools did yall go to breh :mjlol:. At my school there were guys who made 10s of thousands of dollars to take tests for others. They used to not check IDs at testing centers. Some testing centers are still like this breh.
Bro... like I said I dnt know much about school..
But a guy underneath you said that it's hard to cheat on these test... so now I dnt know what to believe

mag357

Superstar
Daps
This is RACISM plain and simple. Lots of people do better on the SAT the second time around.

I scored 100 points higher on the SAT the 2nd time I took it. I know 300 points is a lot but I'm sure they wouldn't be doing this if she was white.

Only reason they flagged her is cause she's black.
Do they know the race of the test taker?

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Daps
Reppin
San Jose
Bro... like I said I dnt know much about school..
But a guy underneath you said that it's hard to cheat on these test... so now I dnt know what to believe
It depends on the testing center breh. Also, read what he typed
Now look at the video I posted above. Most people that cheat on SATs exploit the fact that some testing centers don't check IDs to make sure that the person taking the test is the right person. That guy was talking about cheating in the traditional sense as in looking over someon's shoulder to cheat. if you try that you are dumb.

yung Herbie Hancock

Funkadelic Parliament
Daps
Reppin
San Jose
Do they know the race of the test taker?
Yes but an Algorithm flags the test taker. She got flagged for her large/unsusual jump in test scores, not because she's black . The same way banks flag someone that suddenly deposits a large amount of money. I swear the fact that yall take posters like @Swagnificent seriously makes me question this site sometimes. Dude is the epitome of idiocracy.