“A torture for the eyes”: Chinese moviegoers think Black Panther is just too black

BrooklynShow

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Crown Heights Brooklyn
“A torture for the eyes”: Chinese moviegoers think Black Panther is just too black

Some moviegoers disliked Black Panther because they felt Marvel was trying too hard to be politically correct (link in Chinese). While many reviewers on Douban stopped short of leaving overtly racist comments about the film, many discussed their discomfort of being surrounded by so much blackness.

“Maybe the Chinese are still not used to a film full of black people,” wrote one reviewer on Douban (link in Chinese). The commenter said he had to pinch himself more than 10 times to stay awake during the movie because “Black Panther is black, all the major characters are black, a lot of scenes are black, the car-chasing scene is black—the blackness has really made me drowsy.”

Another reviewer who came into the theater late made a similar observation: “When I entered the theater, a bunch of black people was fighting in the night… I’ve never been in a theater so dark that I couldn’t find my seat.”

Someone else said the experience was worse in 3D (link in Chinese): “The film is filled with black actors and actresses. Also, because the film’s colors are a bit dark, it’s nearly a torture for the eyes to watch the film’s 3D version in the theater.”

It’s yet another reminder of China’s limited exposure to race. Last month, in the annual Lunar New Year TV gala by China’s state broadcaster CCTV, producers had a Chinese actress in blackface and cast a black actor to play a monkey. In October, a Chinese museum hosted an exhibition titled “This is Africa” that juxtaposed images of black people to animals, including monkeys and cheetahs.

Still, Black Panther could be a start for Chinese people to learn about the black culture, argues writer Niesha Davis on Shanghai-based digital publication Sixth Tone. “Exposure to pop culture that encompasses diverse representations of black people can exert a powerful influence on how individuals conceive of them,” Davis wrote

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Frankly this comes down to how people view African societies.

Until theres real economic and geopolitical clout coming out of Africa, they won't be respected even in movies.

Asians look up to white societies and vice versa for reasons that can't be mythicized.

Africa needs to make people jealous on a fundamental level.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
This is hardly surprising as they probably hardly never see Black people anywhere. In the West I guess we tend to overlook how diverse the societies in which we live are, because of constant racism.

This...people take Western culture of multi-culturalism for granted....

A lot of people outside of the West are ignorant of other races and kinds of people...

360Waves

2 girls and they get along like I'm Lou Will
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It did exceptionally well in a China but let’s allow a few one-off comments to define how all of China feels about the movie. Like you can’t find cacs in America who’d say the same shyt. At least they have the excuse that they don’t regularly encounter black people.:skip:

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
This BS article:martin:

When u look on that Doubon site those comments about "it being to black" are barely on there. I browsed that shyt for the past 10-15 minutes and prolly only saw 2 comments at best related to this.

BP kicking ass in the Country cacs said a black led movie would not do good at.(there reasoning for why big budget black movies are not made)

Now that the narrative is being destroyed. They gonna resort to something else.

If this fails and it gets good reviews. Watch how cacs r gonna resort to something else.

They determine to let the narrative of"black movies can't sell in China" to live to justify the lack of big budget black movies

Last edited:

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
This BS article:martin:

When u look on that Doubon site those comments about "it being to black" are barely on there. I browsed that shyt for the past 10-15 minutes and prolly only saw 2 comments at best related to this.

BP kicking ass in the Country cacs said a black led movie would not do good at.(there reasoning for why big budget black movies are not made)

Now that the narrative is being destroyed. They gonna resort to something else
This is the state of media of our country. They write stories based on online comments and twitter comments now. You can find anything on social media to fit whatever narrative you're trying to paint. I can find people who believe the earth is flat and then write a story about "A suprising amount of people believe the earth is flat" as if it was unknown there are wackos and oddities out there. Doesn't make it a news story.

...and people wonder why the media is losing respect. Its a joke.

The Exchanges

All Star
Daps
Off subject but how was Killmonger a bad guy :gucci:

:skip:

He murdered innocent people, tried to overthrow a country and attempted to wage war on other countries.

Him not being as bad as others is debatable but we can’t act like Killmonger wasn’t bad.

By that logic, Thanos just “balancing” the universe.

I know they don’t feel that way but when the white Norse god was fighting mutant aliens and shyt.

But since they black all of a sudden it’s, “intimidating or too, black”
:stopitslime:

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
This is hardly surprising as they probably hardly never see Black people anywhere. In the West I guess we tend to overlook how diverse the societies in which we live are, because of constant racism.

Didn't stop BP from doing big numbers (I think I saw 60 mil in 2 days somewhere on FB).

Their reaction to people they have never seen is to throw shade?