Any serious runners in here? Just ran a 30k and legs failed me late

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Just ran a 30k on basically no training (which is dumb I know). I’m a natural runner and my pace is alright and my cardio is alright as my pace was around 10:30-10:45 min miles, then later around 11-11:15 as I’ve never done 30k before and was nervous about going too fast

Felt really good and amazing until mile #15 and my legs essentially gave out. I could feel them tighten up and I couldn’t run faster than a fast walk as I was nervous they were gonna pull and I couldn’t finish. Eventually crossed the finish line at a bit faster pace and my legs were about to seize up lol

my wife asked the race organizers how I was doing around mile 13 and they said “really good, he’ll finish around X time” that ended up being cratered due to my legs failing me with 2.75 miles left

Was pretty frustrating cause I still felt ok but my body just gave up

Anyone else consistently run? Got any tips or funny stories

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Advice on how to stop your legs from giving out after 18 miles? :gucci: Did you get enough rest and fluids? Have you considered cocaine?
I’ll be honest I probably got like 7 hrs, drank couple Gatorade before, carb heavy food the previous night, some carb food in the AM along with a protein/energy bar.

During the race brought with me some gum and airheads that I took after 1.5 hrs of running. Didn’t drink water until later in the race as I heard that’s probably the right thing to do

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
You Kenyan or something ?
Nah I’m black and Native.. my sister got 3rd place for females and she’s the reason I did it to begin with

Essentially tried to copy a version of what she did, she mentioned maybe salt packs but I felt like I was doing well with the water and Gatorade balance during the run. I know salt can make it worse depending on the balance

When I looked at my splits mile 14 I ran 9:30 so I was def feeling good late in the race and felt I could finish really strong and then it just collapsed after that.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah I’m black and Native.. my sister got 3rd place for females and she’s the reason I did it to begin with

Essentially tried to copy a version of what she did, she mentioned maybe salt packs but I felt like I was doing well with the water and Gatorade balance during the run. I know salt can make it worse depending on the balance

When I looked at my splits mile 14 I ran 9:30 so I was def feeling good late in the race and felt I could finish really strong and then it just collapsed after that.

I don’t know how old you are, but rolling out of bed and completing a 30k with no training is crazy impressive, regardless of age

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
I don’t know how old you are, but rolling out of bed and completing a 30k with no training is crazy impressive, regardless of age
Thanks brah, appreciate it.. Im 35 so I’m an “old” dude, probably thinking of my past too much where I could run forever.

Anyone who is on the fence with a 5-10k you should do it.

kaldurahm

All Star
Daps
Haha I'm a consistent runner, 30k is very serious. I remember running a half marathon, 23k, with very little training and it was a big mistake. Yeah your legs gotta be on point, much moreso than the endurance/conditioning imo, thought that's very important as well. Next time you do that type of run, you'd probably have to average 20-30k in runs per week and train for at least 4 months.

You're going to have to rest for about a week, stay hydrated for the day, get your electrolytes in. Good work, but next time get the training in, you can injure yourself. 5k-10k with no training isn't a big deal.