Ayesha Curry: "I Feel I’m Too Black For The White Community, But Don't Fit Within Black Society."

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Paraphrased :jawalrus:

On being taken seriously
: “I think a lot of people do not take me seriously,” “They think this is something I’ve obtained because of my husband’s income. That’s not true. He hasn’t invested a dime in my restaurant business.”

On Detractors: “It’s this weird hierarchy of misogyny,” she says. “When my career was starting to take off, this male reporter bashed me on live television, saying I should be more like the other [basketball] players’ wives. He literally said, ‘They sit there, they don’t cause any problems, and they look pretty.’”

“Why am I not allowed to have a passion and a dream and a voice?” she marvels. “That started a fire in me. I could not be stopped, and I wanted to prove myself. Now the conversation has shifted. Stephen doesn’t get any negative [questions] about me. Especially in the Bay Area, people say to him, ‘I like her food a lot,’ and that’s been special for me.”

On identifying as Black: Her mother is Jamaican and Chinese, and her dad is Polish and African American. “Growing up in Canada, I identified as all things,” she says of her childhood in Toronto, where her neighbors were mostly Asian and Indian. “Then I moved to North Carolina at 14, and that was a culture shock. That’s where I realized, I’m a black woman, something I’ve grown into appreciating and loving.” It’s also a lesson she’s passing on to her daughters. “They’re fair in complexion, and they’ve said: ‘I’m not black; look at my skin.’ And I said: ‘No, no, no. You’re a black woman. You have melanin. It’s part of who you are. Our descendants are from Africa. This is what that means.’ It’s been a journey teaching them that.’”

On what the black community could do better: “My own community needs to embrace everyone better. Sometimes I feel like I’m too black for the white community, but I’m not black enough for my own community. That’s a hard thing to carry. That’s why my partnership with CoverGirl was special for me because I felt like I didn’t fit the mold [of a CoverGirl],” she adds. “I’m not in the entertainment industry, in the traditional sense. I’m not thin; I’m 170 pounds on a good day. It’s been a journey for me, and that’s why I want my girls to understand who they are—and to love it.”

On "botched" boob job: “I didn’t realize at the time, but after having Ryan, I was battling a bit of postpartum that lingered for a while. It came in the form of me being depressed about my body,” she explains. “So I made a rash decision. The intention was just to have them lifted, but I came out with these bigger boobs I didn’t want. I got the most botched boob job on the face of the planet. They’re worse now than they were before. I would never do anything like that again, but I’m an advocate of if something makes you happy, who cares about the judgment?”

Read the rest of the interview here. I think it's an interesting read for the most part: People Didn't Take Working Mom Ayesha CurrySeriously. They Should Have

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
she needs to go back to complaining about referees fixing nba games her husband loses to lebron and kyrie.

:russell:

That would be better than whatever she's doing now. Better still would be her going to that cooking show she had and leaving it at that.