Ayesha Curry: "I Feel I’m Too Black For The White Community, But Don't Fit Within Black Society."

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
:skip:
So what's the Black STANDARD then friend? :mjpls:
It's just something we call ourselves it's nothing really. Point is, Black folks are diverse and that shyt he talking is movie bullshyt fantasy. I was a popular quiet kid in highschool and I wad always invites to kickbacks by the football and basketball team who were majority Black.

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps
giphy.gif

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The reason this sentiment is so heavily stated, and has been for decades, is the dichotomy of "Blackness" perpetuated by African-Americans.

As a basketball wife, she's still just as heavily surrounded by the "poverty-culture" aspects of "Blackness" as she would be if she were a Black woman in the hood, most of the AA basketball players are income-wise wealthy, but social-class-wise, haven't left the hood they're from.

It sounds like she wants Black petty-bourgeois culture, but since she wasn't raised in it, she's not going to find it. She's a Canadian actress, not a fourth-generation Spelmanite that spends her summer's in Camp Atwater with her other Jack & Jill of America friends.

She also is attributing aspects of poverty-culture to aspects of Black culture, which is a tricky thing.

Overall, she needs to stop making public statements for a few weeks.

KillerB88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL - Cleveland Ave.
It's just something we call ourselves it's nothing really. Point is, Black folks are diverse and that shyt he talking is movie bullshyt fantasy. I was a popular quiet kid in highschool and I wad always invites to kickbacks by the football and basketball team who were majority Black.
Okay. Who is "we" and what's the criteria for being a part of "we"? Don't say it's nothing really. It's clearly something. Please expound.