Baby boomers facing spike in homelessness: "As much as we try, we might be stuck"

bnew

Veteran
Daps

BY JONATHAN VIGLIOTTI
JULY 28, 2022 / 7:44 PM / CBS NEWS

San Diego, California — Maria Negrete, her daughter and her granddaughter live in their car in San Diego after they lost their jobs and got evicted from their apartment.

"It's hard because as much as we try, we feel that the system pushes you to the position that we are," the 65-year-old told CBS News.

Negrete said she does not see how she and her family will get back on their feet.

"I don't see any way, especially with everything so expensive, like gas, the rents, everything," she said. "And that's heartbreaking for me."

Negrete is a member of one of the fastest growing groups now facing homelessness: baby boomers. Like her, many worked low-paying jobs and had no savings to fall back on when times got tough.

The number of homeless people over 55 is expected to spike to 225,000 nationwide in the next four years — a 32% jump from 170,000 in 2017 — according to a University of Pennsylvania study.

"We hear the same story over and over again. 'I've lived in this place 10, 15 years. And now I have to move because they've increased the rent above what I even earn for a given month,'" said Teresa Smith. Smith started Dreams for Change, an organization that helps homeless people by providing jobs and safe parking for those with cars.

Nearly half of Smith's clients are baby boomers. The crisis grew during the pandemic and has been intensified by record inflation and housing costs.

In San Diego, the average two-bedroom apartment is more than $3,700 a month, up 21% from last year, according to rent.com.

"My biggest concern is that as much as we try, we might be stuck being in the car for a long time," Negrete said.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Dudes are really blaming random people for ending up homeless. "fukk them" because four Republicans were elected president in the last 40 years?

Sound like clowns here.
Nahhhh people from that generation loved talking shyt about the younger generation about what they were/weren’t doing and now they’re complaining and ending up the exact same situation as everyone else. They’re finally seeing and experiencing the same things we tried telling them for years about but didn’t want to listen or telling us to suck it up and deal with it.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Nahhhh people from that generation loved talking shyt about the younger generation about what they were/weren’t doing and now they’re complaining and ending up the exact same situation as everyone else. They’re finally seeing and experiencing the same things we tried telling them for years about but didn’t want to listen or telling us to suck it up and deal with it.
So dudes are celebrating random people becoming homeless because of the years they were born?

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
So dudes are celebrating random people becoming homeless because of the years they were born?
Sounds like it to me. They’re lumping them all in together and generalizing which is no different than what people do on this site on a daily basis. Is it fair? Nope, but that’s The Coli for you.

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
Dudes are really blaming random people for ending up homeless. "fukk them" because four Republicans were elected president in the last 40 years?

Sound like clowns here.
Ironically the homeless in question are more likely to be people who have either never voted or would have likely voted opposite of Republicans if they did participate. And look at what the most recent voting generations have allowed, following that logic, they have allowed Trump and everything that follows.

BunchePark

Coli N Calisthenics
Daps
Reppin
Broward
Yea "fukk the boomers they ruined the world"

That's been a thing online for a minute

I can't say if it's true or not idgaf too busy trying not to fall off out this bytch 🤣😂😂🤣

Apparently they the reason shyt fukked up tho

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

These "people" talk as if they're not the descendants of "boomers". :dead:

Mainly white people have this type of hate for their parents/grandparents. And nikkas hang with these people and talk the same shyt about theirs.

shyt is fcking sad.