winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yeah we split hairs one way and just accept the numbers the other way

Sony stan’s :wow:
You crack me up. All you really ever do is call people stans like that means something when you're the biggest stan on this site. You can easily find post where me an alleged Sony stan has openly criticized that company. I don't even recall you ever criticizing something Microsoft has done. I could be wrong and if I am please show me a thread where you take Microsoft to task.

Everybody knows Halo and 343i are in decline. You wanna sit up here and argue bullshyt when Microsoft guts the company after Halo Infinite flickered out and then had to turn around and come to their defense when fans were questioning if the studio would even be allowed to keep Halo. Let you tell it things are as rosy as ever.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You crack me up. All you really ever do is call people stans like that means something when you're the biggest stan on this site. You can easily find post where me an alleged Sony stan has openly criticized that company. I don't even recall you ever criticizing something Microsoft has done. I could be wrong and if I am please show me a thread where you take Microsoft to task.
This is like saying” i got black friends, i ain’t racist”

fukk outa here i don’t care what you’ve criticized.

When you are in the same thread arguing one studio selling 40-50 million games is “running a franchise into the ground” While another studio selling that same amount of games is one of the best studios on earth.

The only explanation is stan shyt :manny:

“Insomniac is one of sonys best studios, despite the fact that they inherited one of the most popular IPs on earth and i don’t even play their games”

“343 inherited Halo so their 40-50m games sold mean nothing”

Stan shyt :stopitslime:

“Rare is trash despite being more profitable and large and growing than it’s ever been, cause i’m not jealous of their game”
Stannary :scust:

Everybody knows Halo and 343i are in decline. You wanna sit up here and argue bullshyt when Microsoft guts the company after Halo Infinite flickered out and then had to turn around and come to their defense when fans were questioning if the studio would even be allowed to keep Halo. Let you tell it things are as rosy as ever.

Such a decline……or is this the part where we don’t care about numbers again….:lupe:

Goat studio tho :wow:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Xbox gets 3rd party support. Their problem is getting their internal studios to a level where there is a consistent stream of quality titles coming from them at a steady clip. I'm not saying they can't do that. They can but I just have my doubts.

Microsoft is more the hands off money guy with Xbox than the visionary. They aren't stepping in and creating / nurturing studios from a low level up They're just buying existing companies. When you buy companies like that the founders and visionaries almost always end up leaving because they don't want to be under a giant corporation.

Look at Rare. Microsoft bought them, the founders left and Rare today is a ghost of it's former self when they were one of the hottest studios in the business.

Look at Naughty Dog. Sony bought them, the founders left and Naughty Dog today is one of the hottest game devs in the industry. Their success level has drastically increased since before purchase.

Most of the best studios at Sony and Nintendo started out as smaller studios they purchased and turned into juggernauts over time themselves or in Nintendo's case many are completely internally developed.
Xbox has 3rd party support like the Nintendo switch has 3rd party support... But even worse. It's there but it's not prioritized or optimized for the system, you legit don't know for sure if a game that is releasing is going make it to the Xbox when coming to console. Nintendo at least gets true random 3rd party exclusives. The Xbox does not, and until they get that they won't be, even if that means they have to essentially "be their own 3rd party developer" aka have enough studios so that they can't be skipped, over looked or under prioritized, and if they are still after all that, hey they are self-sufficient. :manny:

Sony purchasing "smaller studios" they been working with for almost 20 years isn't some amazing feat. A lot of Sonys smaller studios are just studios that failed or got closed down and rolled over on into something else or merged.

It was also at a time when, why wouldn't you go to Sony or Nintendo? MS is the new dog and hasn't proved they were in it for the long haul, but tbh Sony hasn't either. They've legit never experienced a complete bad generation, luckily the PlayStation is making money for them (as far as we know), but if it didn't for 2 or 3 generations who knows :jbhmm:

Getting 1st pick in the draft when you are the two best teams isn't some kind accolade for Sony and Nintendo

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Xbox has 3rd party support like the Nintendo switch has 3rd party support... But even worse. It's there but it's not prioritized or optimized for the system, you legit don't know for sure if a game that is releasing is going make it to the Xbox when coming to console. Nintendo at least gets true random 3rd party exclusives. The Xbox does not, and until they get that they won't be, even if that means they have to essentially "be their own 3rd party developer" aka have enough studios so that they can't be skipped, over looked or under prioritized, and if they are still after all that, hey they are self-sufficient. :manny:

Sony purchasing "smaller studios" they been working with for almost 20 years isn't some amazing feat. A lot of Sonys smaller studios are just studios that failed or got closed down and rolled over on into something else or merged.

It was also at a time when, why wouldn't you go to Sony or Nintendo? MS is the new dog and hasn't proved they were in it for the long haul, but tbh Sony hasn't either. They've legit never experienced a complete bad generation, luckily the PlayStation is making money for them (as far as we know), but if it didn't for 2 or 3 generations who knows :jbhmm:

Getting 1st pick in the draft when you are the two best teams isn't some kind accolade for Sony and Nintendo

All those studios are great because of nintendo and sony, thats the point you are missing.

Most of those award winning sony studios probably Wouldn’t exist without their funding and acquisitions over the years.

The difference between a Nintendo partnered Rare and a Microsoft owned Rare kind of says it all

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Being two decades into this you aren't a new dog anymore. Microsoft spent too much time farming out development of games to third party companies instead of building their own studios. Their solution to that problem is just M&A now buying out whole publishers. The reality is they should have been doing what Sony was. Working with small to medium developers and publishing their games and bringing in the most talented ones into the fold while cutting lose the ones that don't work out. They should have been building up their own brands. Xbox built up many games that just ended up on other platforms.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Being two decades into this you aren't a new dog anymore. Microsoft spent too much time farming out development of games to third party companies instead of building their own studios. Their solution to that problem is just M&A now buying out whole publishers. The reality is they should have been doing what Sony was. Working with small to medium developers and publishing their games and bringing in the most talented ones into the fold while cutting lose the ones that don't work out. They should have been building up their own brands. Xbox built up many games that just ended up on other platforms.

Exactly.

So many good developers making xbox exclusive content like Remedy, BioWare, Doublefine (in mid 2000s), Moon Studios, Artoon, etc. could have all been smaller studios Microsoft bought and built up over the last 20 years like other publishers. Then they chose to close their other studios like Lionhead that could have been making new rpg games, or let studios walk away like Epic and Bungie.

They just have had absolute shyt management and an even worse foresight for gaming. They are the reason they don’t have successful, homegrown studios outside of Playground and turn 10

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Exactly.

So many good developers making xbox exclusive content like Remedy, BioWare, Doublefine (in mid 2000s), Moon Studios, Artoon, etc. could have all been smaller studios Microsoft bought and built up over the last 20 years like other publishers. Then they chose to close their other studios like Lionhead that could have been making new rpg games, or let studios walk away like Epic and Bungie.

They just have had absolute shyt management and an even worse foresight for gaming. They are the reason they don’t have successful, homegrown studios outside of Playground and turn 10
No way in hell should BioWare have been able to walk with Mass Effect and have it on PlayStation. Xbox should have owned that IP. Alan Wake 2 GOTY level game and it started as an Xbox only franchise allowed onto other platforms. When Sony was making deals with smaller and medium devs Sony retained the rights to the series they made.

The reality is, and Xbox gamers not gonna like, this they bought Bethesda when Bethesda was already in obvious decline. Activision also in a quality decline and turned into a CoD factory. Blizzard showing signs of stress. We looking to see if Microsoft can reinvigorate these companies but given the luck they've had building brands in gaming it's questionable. If they're going to continue to have this hands off approach it's even more questionable when you buy a company declining from their peak and let them continue to run themselves with on oversight.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Again when you don't have the luxury of 3rd party buffers everything is make or break.

Just because you got relationships with folks doesn't mean they want to join your team :mjlol:

Microsoft studios had an amazing line up of original games dropping on the OG 360 something like 15 or more games. This fresh out the gate, PlayStation by this point has bought a whole publisher, has complete and utter market cap dominance as 3rd parties weren't trying to do the extra work for GameCube and the Xbox was more powerful than both.

At some point you need a buffer to keep that kinda of creativity up, outside of Sega there was like zero Japanese companies. Funny enough all the great Western companies that had gems on Xbox are basically owned by Xbox now. But let y'all tell it they clearly weren't building relationships.

It's crazy to say Microsoft wasn't doing that, but go ahead and tell me how you attract developers to your system and keep them there when they A) already have years of track records with Sony and B) they can make the games and money they want where they are at without having to change anything up?!

To top it off, you couldn't be sure Xbox was even going to be around to say or if it was just another one of MS pet projects.

It's really not as simple as they shoulda... They did, they just didn't really have attractive offers outside of the Power of the systems (and money) which would allow developers to create things closer to there vision or do something on Xbox that they might not be able to do elsewhere.

And let's keep it a buck, once MS started to buy stuff straight up in 2017/18 that's only when Sony decided to put a ring on some of y'all favorite companies before MS could do so.

:mjlol:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Again when you don't have the luxury of 3rd party buffers everything is make or break.

Just because you got relationships with folks doesn't mean they want to join your team :mjlol:

Microsoft studios had an amazing line up of original games dropping on the OG 360 something like 15 or more games. This fresh out the gate, PlayStation by this point has bought a whole publisher, has complete and utter market cap dominance as 3rd parties weren't trying to do the extra work for GameCube and the Xbox was more powerful than both.

At some point you need a buffer to keep that kinda of creativity up, outside of Sega there was like zero Japanese companies. Funny enough all the great Western companies that had gems on Xbox are basically owned by Xbox now. But let y'all tell it they clearly weren't building relationships.

It's crazy to say Microsoft wasn't doing that, but go ahead and tell me how you attract developers to your system and keep them there when they A) already have years of track records with Sony and B) they can make the games and money they want where they are at without having to change anything up?!

To top it off, you couldn't be sure Xbox was even going to be around to say or if it was just another one of MS pet projects.

It's really not as simple as they shoulda... They did, they just didn't really have attractive offers outside of the Power of the systems (and money) which would allow developers to create things closer to there vision or do something on Xbox that they might not be able to do elsewhere.

And let's keep it a buck, once MS started to buy stuff straight up in 2017/18 that's only when Sony decided to put a ring on some of y'all favorite companies before MS could do so.

The only company realistically that was a threat of being bought was insomniac and sony own a majority of their IP. Thats the benefit of cultivating talent even when you don’t out right own them, the best decision each one of sonys acquisitions could have made was to sign where their IP resided.

It would be like someone trying to buy intelligent systems or Retro out from under nintendo.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Who was Ninja Theory before Sony messed with them on Heavenly Sword? They had made a game for Microsoft and that was it. Who was Quantic Dream really before Sony messed with them?

You telling me Microsoft couldn't find teams that had ideas and nurture them but they could get Capcom to make Dead Rising for them? They let Bandai Namco take their money and make Tales of Vesperia then port it to the PlayStation by adding a new character. They let Mass Effect end up in EA's hands and had it on PlayStation.

Modern Sony's whole identity was born on the PS3 when Sony was licking their wounds from Microsoft kicking their teeth in. Meanwhile Microsoft had Lionhead and Rare making Kinect games convinced people jumping around failing their arms was going to be the future of gaming trying to outdo Nintendo.

The same company that has $65 billion to spend on Activision Blizzard couldn't find up and coming developers with new ideas and fund their games. Nah they were too busy going to major publishers and large studios funding their games retaining zero rights to them trying to swing for the fences.

Even after that era when Nadella committed to the brand which was like 2014 they still didn't seek out strategic partnerships. They just went on a major M&A spree with no cohesion to it.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Exactly.

No way in hell should BioWare have been able to walk with Mass Effect and have it on PlayStation. Xbox should have owned that IP. Alan Wake 2 GOTY level game and it started as an Xbox only franchise allowed onto other platforms. When Sony was making deals with smaller and medium devs Sony retained the rights to the series they made.

The reality is, and Xbox gamers not gonna like, this they bought Bethesda when Bethesda was already in obvious decline. Activision also in a quality decline and turned into a CoD factory. Blizzard showing signs of stress. We looking to see if Microsoft can reinvigorate these companies but given the luck they've had building brands in gaming it's questionable. If they're going to continue to have this hands off approach it's even more questionable when you buy a company declining from their peak and let them continue to run themselves with on oversight.
So on one hand MS is a monopoly and buying up the industry on the other hand y'all are saying they should have been more monopolistic by locking down publishers and IP's that were birthed on xbox.

Y'all all over the place, MS doesn't need to be another Sony, Phil told y'all what the cold hard facts.

They are not going to out Sony, Sony and nor should they still be trying to. Much like Nintendo they need to find their own lane and that's what gamepass, playing across different mediums is for them.

You don't have to like it, but it is what it is.

And as time goes on and people can easily play there Xbox collection or gamepass on more and more things you'll start to see changes in overall market behavior

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'ma just keep it 100 no winning business or team cultivates talent they haven't had a conversation about acquiring.

But go ahead.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
So on one hand MS is a monopoly and buying up the industry on the other hand y'all are saying they should have been more monopolistic by locking down publishers and IP's that were birthed on xbox.

Your reading comprehension levels are in the toilet if thats what you got out of that.

Theres a difference between buying entire publishers with proven multi-million (billion) selling multiplatform IP, and buying devs and studios that debuted their games on your console that THEY already funded from the start.

Alan Wake along with Quantum Break would have both rightfully been xbox IP’s that they could have cultivated, and they would have shared the same universe. When a studio is somewhat new and you are funding their development pipeline over several games it’s fully fair game for you to make an offer to bring them in internally. No one would have a problem with that.

It’s monopolistic to wait until years later after they blow up to buy them at their peak.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Y'all all over the place, MS doesn't need to be another Sony, Phil told y'all what the cold hard facts.

They are not going to out Sony, Sony and nor should they still be trying to. Much like Nintendo they need to find their own lane and that's what gamepass, playing across different mediums is for them.

You don't have to like it, but it is what it is.

And as time goes on and people can easily play there Xbox collection or gamepass on more and more things you'll start to see changes in overall market behavior
Finding broke or low capital individuals and funding their ideas in exchange for a level of ownership to the rights isn't trying to out Sony Sony it's a business practice as old as time. When an author signs a book deal the publisher retains rights to publish the series. That author isn't taking that same series and walking to another publisher for example.

Microsoft is trying to do what DC did against pre-Endgame Marvel. Without doing the groundwork they tried to backwards launch a connected film universe off Man of Steel and Batman v Superman jumping right into Justice League meanwhile Marvel was laying out movies for many years to build up to Infinity War.

They're out here buying whole publishers and canceling in-progress games on rival platforms while not having the vision to see something like Redfall being release would just harm their reputation for quality and should have been canned. Go back and look at Sony. In the PS3 days they'd put out something like Lair. That kinda stuff doesn't really happen so much anymore because their leadership has the experience over time to know what games to nip in the bud.

Microsoft went out there and hyped up Redfall. They hyped up Starfield and when these games came out the reception didn't go as planned. Meanwhile Hi-Fi Rush was a shadow drop and was one of their best received games but got zero hype cycle before release. Do they even really know what they're doing?