BARBERSHOP TALK: Should CRACK, Meth, And Heroin Be Legalized?

Should HARD DRUGS Like Crack & Meth Be LEGALIZED?

• Total voters

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
I have a serious thread today and I'm going to provide statistics. Marijuana is technically NOT a drug, but an herb. However, it's STILL classed as a schedule 3 drug. Anyhow, I was thinking that crack, meth, and hardcore drugs should be decriminalized. Listen, drug abuse is a MENTAL HEALTH issue NOT criminal issue. In the United States we lock up drug addicts because we make money off of their plight. Especially, with this B.S. "War On Drugs".

Anyway, here are some stats.
Race/Ethnicity % of US population % of U.S. incarcerated population National incarceration rate (per 100,000)

White (non-Hispanic)
64% 39% 450 per 100,000

Hispanic 16% 19% 831 per 100,000

Black 13% 40% 2,306 per 100,000

Breaking Down Mass Incarceration in the 2010 Census | Prison Policy Initiative

DRUG POLICY

Sentencing policies of the War on Drugs era resulted in dramatic growth in incarceration for drug offenses. Since its official beginning in the 1980s, the number of Americans incarcerated for drug offenses has skyrocketed from 40,900 in 1980 to 469,545 in 2015. Furthermore, harsh sentencing laws such as mandatory minimums keep many people convicted of drug offenses in prison for longer periods of time: in 1986, people released after serving time for a federal drug offense had spent an average of 22 months in prison. By 2004, people convicted on federal drug offenses were expected to serve almost three times that length: 62 months in prison. At the federal level, people incarcerated on a drug conviction make up just under half the prison population. At the state level, the number of people in prison for drug offenses has increased ten-fold since 1980. Most of these people are not high-level actors in the drug trade, and most have no prior criminal record for a violent offense

http://sentencingproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Trends-in-US-Corrections.pdf

RACIAL DISPARITIES

More than 60% of the people in prison today are people of color. Black men are nearly six times as likely to be incarcerated as white men and Hispanic men are 2.3 times as likely. For black men in their thirties, 1 in every 10 is in prison or jail on any given day.

http://sentencingproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Trends-in-US-Corrections.pdf

MASS INCARCERATION

The United States is the world's leader in incarceration with 2.2 million people currently in the nation's prisons and jails — a 500% increase over the last forty years. Changes in sentencing law and policy, not changes in crime rates, explain most of this increase. These trends have resulted in prison overcrowding and fiscal burdens on states to accommodate a rapidly expanding penal system, despite increasing evidence that large-scale incarceration is not an effective means of achieving public safety.

Just think about it, if decriminalize these drugs we can have more of a surplus for this country. It could create new jobs in the mental health field for people certified and people who majored in that. Also, we could make our citizens more productive by helping them getting back on track. However, our government as it stands is a business and they don't care about helping sick people.

So, should drugs like crack be legalized. I'm NOT for legalization of any hard drug (Weed is fine because it's soft). However, I am for rehabilitation and decrimilization of these drugs.

P.S. we need to get the crooks who are using the badge as a sheild to do dirt and hunt down these drug cartels. This sh-t is levels?

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
You just be coming up with anything to post. Legalize this shyt and grown ass men will start being forced into sex trafficking as the sex workers. Just watch..we already pushing it with legal marijuana.
Read the OP baby girl. I personally advocate for decriminalization not legalization. Also, drug abuse is a health issue not criminal issue. I also added how creating more facilities and investing in them will create more jobs in that field.