Batman 1989 appreciation thread

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Tihs is by far my favorite scene seeing this as a young scrap left me with the permenant :birdman: face

Last edited by a moderator:

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
[ame=http://youtu.be/5iG8xRiHyNc]Batman 1989 Toys Commercial #2 - YouTube[/ame]

i remember begging grandpa to get me that bat copter, instead i got the joker with the wash away makeup face

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
i kind of got a question about the ending what was that green beret thing in the jokers pocket?

[ame=http://youtu.be/DFR5oZQrIVc]Jack Nicholson Joker's Last Laugh - YouTube[/ame]

btw the soundtrack is slammin, i wasnt ready for funk like this back then, "vicki waiting" sounds like it should be on 'around the world in a day', some songs are written as the joker some as bruce wayne/batman and even vicki vale, prince around this time wore a suite that was like half black with a batman cape and half joker he believed that apart of himself was female lol

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
According to actor Pat Hingle (Commisioner Gordon) in his Special Edition DVD interview, there was a flashback scene shot, but not used, that reveals that after Bruce Wayne's parents were murdered, Bruce was cared for by Gordon, who was then a young street patrolman. The still photo of the young Bruce Wayne being held by an unseen policeman in the newspaper story that Vicki Vale and Alex Knox reads, is from that scene. Although discarded, the idea was re-used for the re-boot film, Batman Begins with Gary Oldman as Gordon. Also, the idea of this fateful meeting between Gordon and the future Batman has been incorporated into the DC Comic series to further explain the alliance between Gordon and Batman.

Patsy Kensit auditioned for the role of Vicki Vale.

In the film Jack Napier, The Joker, is the murderer of Batman's parents. One of the facts not addressed in the film that has its roots in the comic is that Batman would dream whichever villain he was chasing at the time was the one who murdered his parents.

The character of Alexander Knox (Robert Wuhl) was a character created for the movie. In the script the character was killed during the parade scene. In an interview with Starlog Magazine done at the time, Wuhl joked that his character should become Robin in the sequel.

A scene was cut from the parade sequence (but made it in the comic book version of the script) where the crowd discovered that all the money that the Joker was handing out was counterfeit. In a follow-up to the Joker's earlier line that he wanted "My face on the one-dollar bill," all the dollar bills that were thrown to the crowd had the Joker's picture in place of George Washington's.

In an interview with About.com, Christopher Nolan (director of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight) described this film as "...a brilliant film, visionary and extraordinarily idiosyncratic...". (Even Nolan appreciates and likes this film. So all this fanboy craziness over which Batfilm is better is even more pointless.)

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps

Michael Jackson was asked to write and perform the songs for the movie, but he had to turn it down due to his concert commitments.

Jack Nicholson received a percentage of the gross on the film, and due to its massive box-office took home around $60 million. As of 2003 it is still the single-movie record for actor's salary.

In the original script, the paper Knox and Vicki worked for was the Gotham Gazette, not the Gotham Globe.

The original script featured a bitter rivalry between Bruce Wayne and Knox over Vicki.

In the original script, Bruce Wayne was described as a man with "muscles on top of muscles and scarred from nightly combat".

In the original script with Robin included, the Flying Graysons (John, Mary, and dikk) are introduced at the parade scene. The Joker shoots the trapeze artists sending John and Mary to their deaths and leaving dikk to survive. dikk later becomes Robin in full costume at the end. The special edition version of the DVD release of Batman features an animated storyboard sequence of this scene, where dikk Grayson was voiced by Jason Hillhouse, and Batman and the Joker were voiced by Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill respectively.

For its first video release, the film was graded slightly lighter as cinema audiences had complained that it was filmed so darkly that they could hardly see what was going on.

Anton Furst's designs for Gotham City were incorporated into the comics during the early '90s. The design was removed during the "No Man's Land" arc.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps

In Sam Hamm's original script, the first time we see Smylex's effect (called Smylenol in the script) is on the two female models, who are only represented as cardboard cut-outs in Joker's commercial. The original scene has them in a bikini photo session with a photographer who is urging them to smile more as he snaps away. The girls begin to giggle, which at first pleases the photographer, then their giggles become laughter, then uncontrollable helpless hysterics, which has the photographer going from mild annoyance to complete horror as the exhausted girls expire from forced hilarity, with the ghastly Joker-like grins frozen on their faces. As it was originally intended, the death scene is much more protracted than the one with the female newscaster, depicting death by Smylex as a particularly agonizing, if mirthful, way to go.

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
The first script draft of Batman Returns was intended to be a direct-sequel to the previous film. As a result, sub plots and continuity from the first film that would have been addressed included gift shops selling fragments of the destroyed Bat-Wing, further revelations into the past of the now deceased Jack Napier AKA Joker, and even Bruce Wayne proposing to Vicki Vale by the end of the film. However, Tim Burton was uncomfortable in making a direct sequel and as a result, the script was rewritten.

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
They see me trolling, they hating.....
I always felt like Batman returns was a direct sequel

:yeshrug:

Batman Forever is when I noticed sh1t starting to fuk up tho :dwillhuh:

and by the time Batman and Robin dropped I was officially done with Batman for a longggg time

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
PHO-09Apr13-158121.jpg

From what i heard, they were just in talks with michael jackson, however according to the book about prince behind the masks and music by ronin ro (who did dr. dres bio) at the time prince and mj were talking about working on something together while mj was on the bad tour and prince was on the lovesexy tour so no idea what it was they were working on, i just know tim burton was furious when he heard the news saying something along the lines of "My films are not like top gun!" im like come on that would have solidified it as the GOAT soundtracks and not only that make the film even more timeless

me i think it would have worked however way you put it, it could have been batdance vs. something mj did, stranger in moscow sounds like a batman track from bruces perspective anyway..

[ame=http://youtu.be/YaFoR7lVfj0]Stranger In Moscow - Michael Jackson - YouTube[/ame]

OmegaK2099

Gettin' It In
Daps
tumblrmcsp10tzco1qb33w4.jpg

I ROCK THE PARTAY I ROCK THE HOUSE! I ROCK THE WHOLE WORLD NORTH EAST AND WEST!

Vicki Vale: "AND PURPLE! I LOOOVE PURRRRPLEE!"

TELLEM-WHAT-HIS-NAME-IS! PARTYMAN! PARTYMAA-HAAAN! ROCK A PARTY LIKE NOBODY CAAA-HAAAN! GET IT UP! OW YEAH! IF IT BREAKS WHEN IT BENDS....YA BEST NOT PUT IT IN!