Before the MGSGZ reviews start rolling in: How NOT to review a game

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
http://www.gameskinny.com/5tejc/metal-gear-solid-v-ground-zeroes-how-not-to-review

If you're reviewing a game based off its length and price, you probably should not review video games. The length of a video game will always be justified by its quality, therefore, determine the quality of the game, rather the length

A 5 inch painting can be just as high quality in creativity and content as a 3 foot painting. Professional reviews have no personal banter splashed upon their articles. Whether dying fifty times or being unsatisfied with the graphics.

Before writing a review, explore everything the game you are reviewing has to offer. Complete it 100% before you jot down the 10% you played.

It is unwise to sucker punch the game creators by telling readers not to buy their product or by using profanity or slander. It is one thing to list the pros and cons in an organized fashion but on a whole different scale, ranting and raving in your review will do no one any good. No one enjoys being told what to do.

Leave it up to the reader, it is their money and time, do not squander it with an unbalance of negative and positive points in your post. The decision is in your reader's hands, not yours, most viewers want worth, so tell them your insight without ruining their perspectives and desires to play.

I think this list should fit all games pretty good. Game reviews are inconsistent in what reviewers add/remove points for. One game gets docked for having a lack of content, then another game that has an abundance of content does not get extra points for the content. (Should free DLC then raise the score of a game)The length of a game should only matter in how that length influences the experince, not how that length should influence the price. It's not up to a reviewer to decide what a game should be "worth".

Now I already know Ground zeroes is gonna get trashed in reviews, but I think situations like this is why games are still not accepted as an artform. Everybody from fans, to press, to publishers take a very amateurish/immature approach to the industry.

Thoughts?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yea man I don't know why Ryse gets docked for things Uncharted is praised for. :troll:

J/K

Nah I agree, review the game for THAT game. Too many times reviewers review a game with an obvious 'other' game as a reference point for how it should be. It's kind of hard to not be biased though at times like if I had to review Killer Instinct, it'd be hard for me not to bring up other games. At the end of the review, if I were to say, save your money and wait until more content is out, someone would say that I'm biased for w/e reason that may be. I think reviews should just do away with scores. Either go with Must buy, buy, rent, pass and skip but even with this metric there would be ruffled feathers, "what do you mean skip ________, I love that game!"

chemicalsword

winter is coming
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Starkset...
I don't put much stock in reviewers honestly. i watch some.. take a mental note of what I think are valid points, but I don't think they have ever swayed me away from coppin a game that I really want. often times using excessive profanity or "trash" to describe a game takes away from the reviewer's credibility imo. I do think the video game review biz is lacking in professionalism.....

Daps
While I believe that games should be reviewed for what they are and not what they are "missing," reviewers definitely should tell people if they don't think the price of a game is justified by the length or amount of content. You could still give a short game a 9/10 or whatever but tell your readers that you don't think it is worth $60.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I see this happen a lot with short games.

Game is a five hour long Grade A shooter. "Despite strong shooter mechanics the game is on the short side and not worth full price."

Game is a three hour walk through a painting. "The game might be short but its philosophical depth makes it worth every penny you spend on it."

:camby: