Being Born Poor is like a Disease

---

Superstar
Daps
I have long said that if your born poor, that you need to do whatever it takes and I mean whatever it takes to get out and not pass that shyt to the next generation.

Saw this video and reminded me of what I felt like when I was poor at young age!

Felt this, do whatever it takes to get out! Always work on your financial IQ always. Glad to see TLR has a stock market thread finally!

SleezyBigSlim

Banned
Daps
I have long said that if your born poor, that you need to do whatever it takes and I mean whatever it takes to get out and not pass that shyt to the next generation.

Saw this video and reminded me of what I felt like when I was poor at young age!

Felt this, do whatever it takes to get out! Always work on your financial IQ always. Glad to see TLR has a stock market thread finally!

She's not poor, the dumb bytch took out multiple student loans to persue 2 different BA's and then nursing school. Her parents fukked up by making her pay bill's as a kid. Kids are left financially illiterate when this happens. When children start working and earning their own money they should be able to buy what they want with their money (within reason and age appropriate). If their parents take some of that money it impairs their judgement on money cuz no 16yr old wants to pay bills. If you dictate any funds from your child's paycheck it should be for savings and or investment.

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Its why I joined the military right out of high school. Those 8 yrs changed the whole trajectory of my life, especially compared to most of my immediate family. It ain't for everyone but it definitely worked for me. Now you could classify my little family I've created as on the fringes of upper middle- class. We damn sure comfortable and we live life instead of just surviving

Daps
Reppin
NULL
She's not poor, the dumb bytch took out multiple student loans to persue 2 different BA's and then nursing school. Her parents fukked up by making her pay bill's as a kid. Kids are left financially illiterate when this happens. When children start working and earning their own money they should be able to buy what they want with their money (within reason and age appropriate). If their parents take some of that money it impairs their judgement on money cuz no 16yr old wants to pay bills. If you dictate any funds from your child's paycheck it should be for savings and or investment.

:mjlol:

Please tell me what is financial literacy... and I was paying my Grandma’s rent when I was 16.... she didn’t ask me for anything.... I just did it because I could and wanted her to spend that money on other things that she wanted or wanted to do....... being poor is being born with a societal handicap and there isnt an argument that can be made to refute it

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I see it as a knowledge gap. Poverty is a weird state of "not knowing what you you need to know to get out of being poor", if that makes any sense to yall. It's a bunch of unknown, unknowns.

It really is "the trap". It takes some freakish trauma to get out of it. Often times your values are so fcked up by where and how you're born that someone can literally tell you how to get out but it simply doesn't register.:francis:

What do I mean? Most folks even in the hood, are warned about credit, 401k(s), stocks, stem, high paying manual labor, birth control, avoiding student loans, etc at least once in life. But because none of these things register in a poor persons mind, they will often fight against a person telling them it, and will actively do the opposite thing.

Obviously, life circumstances can put you in poverty, but it is entirely on yourself to get out. When traveling abroad I've even seen this dynamic play out in 3rd world countries where the easily available manual labor gigs are ignored and made fun of because of values. I've seen poor black folk in literal slums talking bout "I'm too good for manual labor".:why:

You see the same thing in the US with the utter contempt for trades like plumbing, electricians, and carpentry. And it's all based on values. Nikkas literally don't know that these gigs are something they should know/value.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
:russell:

If you have two Working Hands and two working legs I don't want to hear it

hostsamurai

Demon King Of Salvation
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
London
It's not like a disease it is a disease.

Lower quality of life, lower life expectancy, greater disparities in healthcare, greater occurrences of long term health conditions, low aspirations, knowledge gap. You could have the potential to go to a great university and get $100k a year but because no one you know knows anything about the education game, whether it's teaching children an extended vocabulary or playing classical music while their brains are forming, or effective studying or even applying for all scholarships that gap is huge.

So people in poverty are fighting against their own biases and competencies, their own health, a lack of sheer resources and above all the rest of the competition.

How is anyone supposed to rise out of poverty without luck?

Last edited:

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I see it as a knowledge gap. Poverty is a weird state of "not knowing what you you need to know to get out of being poor", if that makes any sense to yall. It's a bunch of unknown, unknowns.

I liked this quote, very simply put. I can't claim extreme poverty, but the lack of knowledge and foundational basics that I did lack really hurt me. I had a single mom and absent Dad, Mom made like 25,000/year. I had exposure to things outside of that, other friends lives, parts of my family, I wasn't blind. But, I didn't understand college, credit, a host of other things, I didn't really understand how to make a lot of money, legally, and what that path was. I was wondering the other day at what age I understood what mortgage was. It was a lot later in life. There's no blame I have to direct at my parents, I feel they were trying their best.

oh, and poverty is something that affects your mental/physical health, almost as if it were a disease. It's a lot like addiction, people don't grasp it, on a fundamental level.

I also notice I value money in more extreme, and even detrimental ways than many of the more privileged i know, and tend to spend more easier and with less complaint, likely because I am simply grateful to be able to spend rather than negotiate on the price point, because it was a scarcity to me.

Last edited:

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
That's when she started to realise why some women start selling ass:francis:

---

Superstar
Daps

Utter fukking ridiculous, some of you cats lack the ability to see beyond you nose real talk.

20180217_WOC744_0.png

You are born poor it takes an extra ordinary special person to climb out of the hole, it takes not 1 not 2 not 3 not 4

5 generations in America to pull the family and yourself out of the hole.

large_nsbkrQG9RNl5SEb6nUJwneT1pXp6T4gsBmB51TCaFAw.png