Being Born Poor is like a Disease

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
it's obviously a disadvantage
but plenty of people transition from growing up poor to being financially stable as adults
it's not impossible, especially here. most of us have grown up in the biggest bull market + the advent of technology
if you're smart and didn't have crackheads for parents you had a realistic opportunity to eat last 20-30 yrs

ThrobbingHood

Take from the b*tch, give to the whores.
Daps
Americas foundational "personal responsibility" ethos has build a sick resentment of the poor, as well as comprehensive misunderstanding.
And just to add, rarely are people taught to question why so few have a disproportionate amount of wealth. If someone is rich, it’s through “hard work, grit, determination and hustle.” The deflection away from nepotism, crony capitalism and of course racism is brushed aside.

If you’re poor, it’s SOLELY because you made the wrong choices. Social mobility, or the lack of it rather, is again pushed to the very back of reasons. I say this as someone who has pretty much both feet out of the rat race. I may have made it but I know I’m in the rare minority of black people who slipped through the cracks of the matrix.

Having said that, I can’t feel sympathy for anyone non-black who’s struggling. Knowing they have far more doors opened for them than we do ourselves. :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Its all about mindset. I didn't know how poor we was growing up because none of my people really put out that energy. I've seen my Ma bring us from living with my grandma, to the projects, to a middle class lifestyle. My grandma moved down to GA with nothing so think about that. It just take a plan.

Mindset is definitely a factor. You'll NEVER be wealthy solely off saving money and working alone, but you can be financially stable through good financial choices. One is reasonably attainable, while the other is not. I'm not saying people shouldn't want to be wealthy, but there are several good positions in between poverty and wealth that one could attain more "easily" and within our control and efforts.

Family Man

Superstar
Daps
I have long said that if your born poor, that you need to do whatever it takes and I mean whatever it takes to get out and not pass that shyt to the next generation.

Saw this video and reminded me of what I felt like when I was poor at young age!

Felt this, do whatever it takes to get out! Always work on your financial IQ always. Glad to see TLR has a stock market thread finally!

True thing.

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Income vs mouths to feed....

I was legit poor in the 80s then.

4 of us and only my father worked. We ate the butter on saltines.. Syrup sandwiches, government cheese, powdered milk, making toast on the bottom rack of the oven.. I've turned the T.V with the pliers, and slept with the space heater in the room.. And I got more poor stories that we lived through to write a novel with..

But despite all of that, we never thought we were poor.. I mean we didn't have money saved up, and we met all of those metrics you guys post around here about poverty. I never heard my parents complain about W.S keeping us back.. All I've ever seen from them was a consistent hustle... We appreciated what we had, and all ways strived for more.. And if we didn't get the best, we were always happy for those that did achieve and lived a prosperous life.
People can shape their own perception of poverty for themselves.. Or those who oppress you can shape your perception for you.. Only a value system can help shape that perception..

Mr.Plan B

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no words or opinion on the woman in the video, but the video itself and her frustration hit me in my soul. The chart someone posted on the first page showing how much generations it takes for one to escape poverty is heart-shattering. I'm not going to say some of y'all never been through shyt, but when you actually been through it and have lived first hand exactly what the chart is saying, it puts it in perspective.

Not going to lie I felt that, but at the same time if I say fukk it and just do the bare minimum I will end up making the whole process longer. I think most black Americans kind of understand that to extent so they say fukk it and just wild out, not like they going to be able to save their family in one lifetime. Or they push very hard for their kids to become superstars in sport or media, that way they get a head start on other families. Women do this the most which is why they push Hypergamy.

-deleted-

Banned
Daps
Not going to lie I felt that, but at the same time if I say fukk it and just do the bare minimum I will end up making the whole process longer. I think most black Americans kind of understand that to extent so they say fukk it and just wild out, not like they going to be able to save their family in one lifetime. Or they push very hard for their kids to become superstars in sport or media, that way they get a head start on other families. Women do this the most which is why they push Hypergamy.

I get you.

nikkas in here trying to come at her. The woman in the video is just venting. She said “How do you all do it?” and posted this on TikTok Which mean she was probably comparing herself to her friends and family on social media or something. Some times when you truly are broke and see people you are familiar with flaunting their material purchases or experiences and lives, it feels like you are out of place and that you don’t belong; like you don’t “deserve” the same things they do because of your circumstances. Of course it is not true but poverty, stress and anxiety from social media can make it seem like everyone has it except you. Speaking from experience

Can’t let that shyt phase you tho, but I understand her wanting to vent