Billionaire Jack Ma: If You’re Still Poor at 35, It’s Your Fault

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
The rise of Chinese billionaire Jack Ma is China’s most important Cinderella story today. From struggling to get a job at KFC to growing a multi-billion dollar online marketplace from his tiny apartment, Ma struggled for over a decade to grow his empire and now shares his brutally honest wisdom to anyone hungry enough to listen.

The following story told by Ma comes from an op-ed article originally published in Chinese and translated by Vulcan Post.

In it, Ma talks about his own struggle against all odds, the four things that absolutely kill ambition and why if you’re still poor at 35, you can really only blame yourself:

“Before I founded Alibaba, I invited 24 friends to my house to discuss the business opportunity. After discussing for a full two hours, they were still confused — I have to say that I may not have put myself across in a clear manner then. The verdict: 23 out of the 24 people in the room told me to drop the idea for a multitude of reasons such as ‘you do not know anything about the internet,’ and more prominently, ‘you do not have the start-up capital for this,’ etc., etc.

“There was only one friend, who was working in a bank then, who told me, ‘If you want to do it, just try it. If things don’t work out the way you expected it to, you can always revert back to what you were doing before.’ I pondered upon this for one night, and by the next morning, I decided I would do it anyway, even if all of the 24 people opposed the idea.”

“When I first started Alibaba, I was immediately met with strong opposition from family and friends. Looking back, I realised that the biggest driving force for me then was not my confidence in the Internet and the potential it held, but more of this: ‘No matter what one does, regardless of failure or success, the experience is a form of success in itself.’ You have got to keep trying, and if it doesn’t work, you always can revert back to what you were doing before.

“As with this quote by T. E. Lawrence: ‘All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.’”

Alibaba Group Holding Ltd founder Jack Ma gestures in front of the New York Stock Exchange before his company's initial public offering (IPO) under the ticker "BABA" in New York

“People lose out in life because of these four reasons:

Being myopic to opportunity
Looking down on opportunities
Lacking understanding
Failing to act quickly enough
“You are poor because you have no ambition.

“Ambition is living a life of great ideals; a magnificent goal in life that must be realised.

“In this world, there are things that are deemed unfathomable, but there is nothing in this world that cannot be done. The depth of one’s ambition determines the potential of one’s future.”

Alibaba Group Holdings Ltd. and Founder Jack Ma As Company Files for U.S. Initial Public Offering of E-Commerce Giant

Ma then lists all the reasons why someone would still be poor at 35 along with a strong dose of the reality of being successful:

“You are poor because you do not have the desire to become successful.

“You are poor because you lack foresight.

“You are poor because you cannot overcome your cowardice.

“You are poor because you lack the courage and determination.

“With ambition you can overcome all inferiority and maximize your potential!

“With ambition you can persevere, continuously learn new things and strive for perfection.

“With ambition you can defy all odds, and create miracles when others dare not.

“No matter how poor your family is, do not doubt your own abilities and lose sight of your ambition.

“When your family deems you worthless, no one will pity you.

“When your parents do not have money to pay the medical bills, no one will pity you.

“When you are beaten by your competitors, no one will pity you.

“When your loved ones abandon you, no one will pity you.

“When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.

“Go big, or go home. Otherwise, you’re wasting your youth.”

If You're Still Poor at 35, It's Your Fault, Says Billionaire Jack Ma

What do you all think about what Jack Ma said?

It made me think of my situation in a thread I posted:

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/how-can-i-get-my-life-together-and-stop-being-a-loser.433813/

Doobie Doo

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh, NC
I agree with him if the end goal is non-poverty. You've had 17 years as an adult to figure shyt out. We all had our moments on the bottom but if you can't get to some form of middle class by 35 all hope is lost is you are a fully functioning healthy adult without a drug problem.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Oh look,

Another rich piece of shyt blaming the poor for their problems as he likely bands together with his rich friends and politicians to make sure they can get away with as many crimes or change as many laws as possible to increase their wealth.

fukk this guy.

:russell:

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
I agree but not being a billionaire doesn't make you poor. I hope he's not implying that ...
No he just said "if you're poor" and I agree.

I got friends and cousins who get fired from every fast food job they ever have or they complain about money but they work 3 days a week and call out 2 days a week

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh look,

Another rich piece of shyt blaming the poor for their problems as he likely bands together with his rich friends and politicians to make sure they can get away with as many crimes or change as many laws as possible to increase their wealth.

fukk this guy.

cant lie, i came in feeling the same way but after reading that he started out strugglin to get a job at KFC, he can say what he wants :heh:

i thought he was some communist party trust fund cocksucker, but he WAS poor :ehh:

MillionMills

Superstar
Daps
Oh look,

fukk this guy.

I thought the article said he was once poor and struggled to get a job at KFC

You caught feelings :umad: we already know what time it is for you

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
cant lie, i came in feeling the same way but after reading that he started out strugglin to get a job at KFC, he can say what he wants :heh:

i thought he was some communist party trust fund cocksucker, but he WAS poor :ehh:
Are there self-made rich people? Of course.
The vast majority are not though.

It is tiring to be lectured about struggle from people who are born into great situations.....or were fortunate enough to receive certain help and opportunities that allowed them to climb the ladder.

Economic mobility is at one of the lowest points in the country's history. People aren't poor just because they want to.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama

:dwillhuh: Man miss me with that bootstraps bullshyt.

[5] Ma attended Hangzhou Teacher's Institute[6] (currently known asHangzhou Normal University) and graduated in 1988 with a bachelor's degree in English. While at school, Ma was elected student chairman.[4][4] He became a lecturer in English and International Trade at the Hangzhou Dianzi University and later enrolled at Beijing-based Cheung Kong Graduate School of Business (CKGSB), graduating in 2006.[1]

In 1994, Ma heard about the Internet. In early 1995, he went to the US and with his friends' help he got introduced to the Internet. During his first encounter he searched the word "beer". Although he found information related to beer from many countries, he was surprised to find none from China. Further, he tried to search for general information about China and again was surprised to find none. So he and his friend created an "ugly" website related to China.[8] Within five hours of creating the website he had received emails from some Chinese wishing to know about him. This is when Ma realized that the Internet had something great to offer. In April 1995, Ma, his wife and a friend collected $20,000 and started an Internet company. Their company was dedicated to creating websites for companies.

So timing was a huge benefit of his success as well.

Ma began building websites for Chinese companies with the help of friends in the US. He has said that "the day we got connected to the Web, I invited friends and TV people over to my house," and on a very slow dial-up connection, "we waited three and a half hours and got half a page.... We drank, watched TV and played cards, waiting. But I was so proud. I proved (to my house guests that) the Internet existed."[9] (At a conference in 2010, Ma revealed that he has never actually written a line of code nor made one sale to a customer. He acquired a computer for the first time at the age of 33.[10])

LMAO