Bloomberg on Black girl made homeless by his programs "Some of us are lucky and some of us are not."

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This entire article is :huhldup:. I've never seen a politician, not even Trump, who was so open about how much he favored rich people over the poor. (For sure Trump does it to an extreme too, but even his loose mouth isn't this open about it.)

Unsurprisingly, Bloomberg’s tenure saw an explosion in both rent prices and homelessness. By the end of Bloomberg’s time, “half of renting households paid more than 30 percent of their income in rent and utilities.” Commercial rents soared too, and beloved mom ‘n’ pop stores that had been in the city for decades closed by the hundreds. (Moss’ blog is a heartbreaking catalog of these.) The St. Vincent’s Hospital was shuttered and turned into luxury condos, just one of nearly 20 hospital closures between 2000 and 2013.

At the end, nearly one of every three children in the city resided in poverty, and the “record-high shelter population includes more than 22,000 homeless children.” The New York City Coalition For The Homeless has been absolutely scathing, noting that “the number of homeless people in NYC has soared to all-time record highs under Bloomberg; and the number of poor New Yorkers has also risen and remains at alarming levels.”

Bloomberg’s administration required homeless people to prove to shelters that they had no other options. In fact, he was critical of the very notion of a “right to shelter,” and said that shelters might be clogged with rich people taking advantage of the system: “You can arrive in your private jet at Kennedy Airport, take a private limousine and go straight to the shelter system and walk in the door and we’ve got to give you shelter.” (Because lots of oligarchs in limos are trying to check in to the New York City homeless shelters.) As the Coalition for the Homeless noted, “he sought to repeal longstanding court orders obligating the City to provide emergency shelter for homeless children and adults,”and “urged New Yorkers to overturn these fundamental legal protections for homeless people, saying: ‘New York City taxpayers have just gotta go to call their representatives in Albany and say, ‘We ain’t gonna do this anymore.’’”

Bloomberg “even lobbied against a measure that sought to save city funds and prevent homelessness among disabled New Yorkers living with AIDS.” Bloomberg also:

… chose to cut off homeless families from priority access to public housing apartments and Section 8 vouchers – permanent housing resources that had successfully helped move tens of thousands of homeless kids and families from shelters to stable housing under three previous mayoral administrations. They then replaced those programs with short-term subsidies that became a revolving door back to homelessness for thousands of families.

Former City Council chair Christine Quinn was blunt: “In a time of prosperity, he took aggressive steps from a policy perspective to hurt the homeless.” Bloomberg’s idea of a solution to homelessness was giving them one-way bus tickets to get them out of the city. Today, Bloomberg insists that inequality is a top priority, but before his sudden transformation into a Democrat, Bloomberg said of inequality that “that’s not a measure of something we should be ashamed of.” (Recall he specifically wanted billionaires to move to New York to increase the “income gap.”)

Asked about all this, Bloomberg alternated between pretending it wasn’t true and admitting he didn’t give a shyt. “Nobody’s sleeping on the streets,” he said, though even if they were, he believed the shortage of housing was a “good sign.” The Coalition for the Homeless says that, confronted with the problem he had caused, “the mayor and his aides responded with evasions, distortions, and a refusal to accept responsibility.” He had the audacity to “claim[] credit for the same legal right to shelter for homeless New Yorkers that he has fought aggressively to repeal!”

The human reality of this situation was documented well in a New York Times profile of an 11-year-old Black girl named Dasani, constantly bouncing from bed to bed in the city. The Times described how Bloomberg’s vision of a New York for billionaires had treated girls like Dasani as nonentities:

In the shadows of [Bloomberg’s “new gilded age”] it is Dasani’s population who have been left behind… With the economy growing in 2004, the Bloomberg administration adopted sweeping new policies intended to push the homeless to become more self-reliant. They would no longer get priority access to public housing and other programs, but would receive short-term help with rent. Poor people would be empowered, the mayor argued, and homelessness would decline. But the opposite happened. As rents steadily rose and low-income wages stagnated, chronically poor families like Dasani’s found themselves stuck in a shelter system with fewer exits. Families are now languishing there longer than ever — a development that Mr. Bloomberg explained by saying shelters offered “a much more pleasurable experience than they ever had before.”

Asked to comment on Dasani’s story, Bloomberg said, “That’s just the way God works. Sometimes some of us are lucky and some of us are not. (God apparently being the one making New York City housing policy these days.) Asked whether he was concerned about the poor, he reiterated his usual line about how everything depends on benevolent businessmen like him, and then gave the classic billionaire’s line about how because there is air conditioning people should shut up and stop complaining that the rent is too high:

“When we grew up we didn’t have air-conditioning. Air-conditioning in the schools, the subways. Are you crazy? Now, by most of the world’s standards, you ain’t poor.”

Bloomberg’s approach to poor people is that he knows what is best for them, and that their job is to shut up and do what he says. He has even said that regressive taxes are good (regressiveness is “the good thing about them”), because taxing the poor more makes them behave. Has called for fingerprinting public housing residents and food stamp recipients (making New York one of the only places in the country to do this). One could see this same mentality in his signature proposal, the “big soda” ban; big sodas are unhealthy, but Bloomberg thought more about how to control poor people’s decisions than how to improve their material conditions. In defending taxing the poor for their own good, he said he didn’t want to “pander to these people.

Bloomberg reserved his sympathy for bankers. As mayor, he gave Goldman Sachs more than a billion dollars in tax breaks to build a headquarters in New York. Later he said Occupy Wall Street was unfairly targeting financial industry workers who were “struggling to get by.” After all, he said, “This is our industry. We’d appreciate it if someone recognized that this is our tax base.” He was scathing about the Obama administration’s effort to regulate banks after the financial crisis, calling fines “outrageous” and suggesting that Wall Street insiders, rather than Congress, should be writing the laws, and has supported cutting the corporate tax rate. He called raising taxes on the rich “about as dumb a policy as I can think of,” making his usual case that rich people give us everything, describing Elizabeth Warren’s wealth tax as “mean.” Bloomberg can be comically out of touch with working people; when the city was crippled by a blizzard he suggested residents use the free time to take in a Broadway show.

That's just a small passage, the entire article has a LOT more receipts. He hates unions, hates teachers, hates Black people, hates poor people, and is a giant fan of the police state.

A Republican Plutocrat Tries To Buy The Democratic Nomination ❧ Current Affairs

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Damn, this part might be even worse.

The Police State

“I think we disproportionately stop whites too much and minorities too little.” Michael Bloomberg

“I have my own army with the NYPD.”Michael Bloomberg

Michael Bloomberg’s NYPD became infamous for an authoritarian approach that saw hassling young Black men as an important part of everyday crime control. The most controversial Bloomberg-era policy was Stop and Frisk, which ultimately reached nearly 700,000 stops per year. At certain points, 90 percent of those stopped were nonwhite, and the vast majority were innocent of any wrongdoing. Bloomberg himself always insisted the program was not racist, but said that “when it comes to policing, political correctness is deadly.” He was caught on tape in Aspen specifically saying that police needed to be focused on young male minorities. (While Bloomberg did not deem Stop and Frisk racist, he did think it was “racist” for Bill de Blasio to have his Black family in campaign ads.)

The effect of this was a racialized police state. Young Black and Hispanic people in Bloomberg’s New York were constantly under suspicion because Bloomberg believed they were all potential criminals. As Edward Wyckoff Williams described life for Black residents: “innocent of crime, guilty of no infraction, they are harassed, placed against walls, handcuffed, sometimes released… but never respected.” The New York Times documented the impact of this on the lives of young people like Tyquon Brehon:

By his count, before his 18th birthday, he had been unjustifiably stopped by the police more than 60 times. On several occasions, merely because he asked why he had been stopped, he was handcuffed, placed in a cell and detained for hours before being released without charges. These experiences were scarring; Mr. Brehon did whatever he could to avoid the police, often feeling as if he were a prisoner in his home.

This op-ed by Nicholas Peart gave a first-person account of how life under stop-and-frisk felt:

After the third incident I worried when police cars drove by; I was afraid I would be stopped and searched or that something worse would happen. I dress better if I go downtown. I don’t hang out with friends outside my neighborhood in Harlem as much as I used to. Essentially, I incorporated into my daily life the sense that I might find myself up against a wall or on the ground with an officer’s gun at my head. For a black man in his 20s like me, it’s just a fact of life in New York.

Every justification that Bloomberg gave for Stop and Frisk turned out to be a myth. It didn’t keep New Yorkers safe, it wasn’t race-neutral. It was simply terrorism against racial minorities, the enforcement of a racial social order at gunpoint. Bloomberg viciously attacked anyone who questioned the program, though, even invoking the specter of 9/11 to warn of what police reform could lead to. When a judge found the program unconstitutional, he blasted her as “some woman who knows nothing about policing” who was endangering New Yorkers.

While he was mayor, from “2002 to 2012, the New York Police Department made about 440,000 arrests for marijuana possession alone.” And, of course, Black people are arrested “on low-level marijuana charges at eight times the rate of whites… with Latino people arrested at five times the rate of whites.” Bloomberg was and is a true believer in the war on drugs. “I couldn’t feel more strongly about it,” he said, declaring that the legalization of pot was “one of the stupider things that’s happening in our country.” He repeats this language frequently, also calling it “the stupidest thing anyone has ever done.” “We’ve got to fight that,” he said just last year. (Bernie Sanders has promised to legalize marijuana across the country.)

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
This entire article is :huhldup:. I've never seen a politician, not even Trump, who was so open about how much he favored rich people over the poor. (For sure Trump does it to an extreme too, but even his loose mouth isn't this open about it.)

That's just a small passage, the entire article has a LOT more receipts. He hates unions, hates teachers, hates Black people, hates poor people, and is a giant fan of the police state.

A Republican Plutocrat Tries To Buy The Democratic Nomination ❧ Current Affairs
And is running as a Democrat. You don’t say.

goatmane

Veteran
Daps
I had to look up the part where Bloomberg called Blasio racist for showing his black wife... wow

Bloomberg says de Blasio running 'racist' campaign

AP
Updated 12:59 a.m. EDT Sep. 8, 2013

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in an interview that one leading Democrat vying to replace him is running a "racist" campaign based on "class warfare."

Bloomberg made the comment about candidate Bill de Blasio in an interview with New York magazine due on newsstands Monday. It appeared on the magazine's website Saturday.

De Blasio is white, but he has been polling well among blacks since he began airing television ads featuring his interracial family. His wife is black and the couple has a son and a daughter. De Blasio has also criticized Bloomberg as not doing enough for the poor, saying New York has become "two cities," one for the rich and one for everyone else.

In asking Bloomberg about the mayor's race, the interviewer calls de Blasio's bid "in some ways … a class-warfare campaign." Bloomberg interjects, "class-warfare and racist," according to the magazine.

Asked to explain what makes de Blasio's campaign racist, Bloomberg responded, "Well, no, no, I mean he's making an appeal using his family to gain support. I think it's pretty obvious to anyone watching what he's been doing. I do not think he himself is racist. It's comparable to me pointing out I'm Jewish in attracting the Jewish vote."

Bloomberg, a self-made billionaire, said he also found de Blasio's "two cities" rhetoric divisive

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Still not voting for trump.:francis:
Trump and Bloomberg are both completely unvoteable.

And is running as a Democrat. You don’t say.
He was a Republican as New York mayor. It's not like he has principles beyond wealth and control, he just changes his party registration, platform, and ads to wherever he sees an opening. Right now he's trying to bank that $1 billion in ads and bought endorsements can overwhelm the airwaves and cover up his entire past record and ideology.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I had to look up the part where Bloomberg called Blasio racist for showing his black wife... wow

AP
Updated 12:59 a.m. EDT Sep. 8, 2013

NEW YORK (AP) — New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg said in an interview that one leading Democrat vying to replace him is running a "racist" campaign based on "class warfare."

Bloomberg made the comment about candidate Bill de Blasio in an interview with New York magazine due on newsstands Monday. It appeared on the magazine's website Saturday.

De Blasio is white, but he has been polling well among blacks since he began airing television ads featuring his interracial family. His wife is black and the couple has a son and a daughter. De Blasio has also criticized Bloomberg as not doing enough for the poor, saying New York has become "two cities," one for the rich and one for everyone else.

In asking Bloomberg about the mayor's race, the interviewer calls de Blasio's bid "in some ways … a class-warfare campaign." Bloomberg interjects, "class-warfare and racist," according to the magazine.

Asked to explain what makes de Blasio's campaign racist, Bloomberg responded, "Well, no, no, I mean he's making an appeal using his family to gain support. I think it's pretty obvious to anyone watching what he's been doing. I do not think he himself is racist. It's comparable to me pointing out I'm Jewish in attracting the Jewish vote."

Bloomberg, a self-made billionaire, said he also found de Blasio's "two cities" rhetoric divisive
Crazy part about that shyt is that he was trying to win his fourth term as mayor in a city where it was only legal to serve two terms.

"The fact that Michael Bloomberg has more money than Donald Trump is actually a good reason not to let him anywhere near the presidency, because it would mean he would have a kind of absolute power to shape political policy—if a legislator opposed him, he could easily give a hundred million dollars to their opponent. If someone tried to sue him, he could bring a hundred million dollar legal team against them. Do not think Michael Bloomberg would not do this, because this is exactly what Michael Bloomberg has been doing. He simply bought a change in the law when he wanted an illegal extra term, now that he’s out of office he wants to see the old term limits restored because it was a “one-time thing,” and of course he called the idea of extending terms for city council members an “absolute disgrace.” (rules are for everyone else). The entire theory of his presidential run is that you can just use money to buy power."

He's literally got too much money man. If he won election as president he might just spread $50 billion out between all the legislators and straight buy a new Constitutional amendment to get a 3rd term. :snoop:

Trece

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
From another story:

Mike Bloomberg has on repeated occasions faced and fought allegations that he directed crude and sexist comments to women in his office, including a claim in the 1990s that he told an employee who had just announced she was pregnant to "kill it."

"He told me to 'kill it' in a serious monotone voice," the woman alleged in a lawsuit. "I asked 'What? What did you just say?' He looked at me and repeated in a deliberate manner 'kill it.'"

:sadcam: