Brehs Every Election Year An Album Drops That Changes HipHop. What Will It Be In 16?

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
My older coli brehs will have to help me with 92 and 96.

When I say "changes" I mean It has to be an album that became a blueprint for others or had huge cultural impact.

But I think we can all collectively agree with the following:

1992. The Chronic (thanks @Shadow King)

1996. All Eyes On Me (thanks @Ashtrey) or IWW @mobbinfms

(I was too young to really be aware of any cultural change in 96 as well)

2000. Marshal Mathers LP

2004. College Dropout

2008. 808's & Heartbreaks

2012. Good Kid Mad City

2016. :lupe: ???????

Thoughts :ohhh:

Last edited:

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
I'm not an oldhead but I'd imagine 92 was The Chronic. 96 was loaded so I'm not if one album defined the year.

I'm not sure how GKMC changed hip-hop cause so far it hasn't led the culture in that direction.

But I think the Kendrick/Cole album is it for 2016 if they actually drop it.

Superstar
Daps
I'm not an oldhead but I'd imagine 92 was The Chronic. 96 was loaded so I'm not if one album defined the year.

I'm not sure how GKMC changed hip-hop cause so far it hasn't led the culture in that direction.

In a way it did. GKMC led to TPAB which has for sure influenced the direction music in general is trying to go towards today. Even then, after GKMC we saw some focus in hip hop shift back to lyricism and storytelling

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
That's a pretty interesting thing you noticed, not going to lie.

Too bad none of them outside of MMLP had anything even remotely taking shots at politics or politicians.
Yeah I noticed generational changes with election years. Marketing and promotion strategies change along with people's awareness or perception of media/entertainment.

So what may appear as edgy or cool eventually becomes normal/boring predictable and something usually comes along that people will gravitate to just off of it not having a familiar face. Even if it's a rehash of the past just rebranded.

Daps
Reppin
Yeah

Thanks for your input I'm going to add that.

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
Yeah I noticed generational changes with election years. Marketing and promotion strategies change along with people's awareness or perception of media/entertainment.

So what may appear as edgy or cool eventually becomes normal/boring predictable and something usually comes along that people will gravitate to just off of it not having a familiar face. Even if it's a rehash of the past just rebranded.

:salute:

The other interesting thing is that in 2000 Eminem could say faq and have a lot of heavy homophonic talk while still being the most popular artist out. Fast forward 16 years and it would be complete career suicide. Not saying it was cool for Eminem to do that but things have changed quite a bit since then.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
:comeon:
In a way it did. GKMC led to TPAB which has for sure influenced the direction music in general is trying to go towards today
I don't hear artists going that direction. At least not in the ones getting pushed hip-hop. The quirky, drug-influenced, chant rap is still championed.

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
:salute:

The other interesting thing is that in 2000 Eminem could say faq and have a lot of heavy homophonic talk while still being the most popular artist out. Fast forward 16 years and it would be complete career suicide. Not saying it was cool for Eminem to do that but things have changed quite a bit since then.
As a kid during that era emenim was the highest example of being cool for me and a lot of my peers I guess because Pop was so huge and cookie cutter. Ironically kind of like right now.