Brehs Every Election Year An Album Drops That Changes HipHop. What Will It Be In 16?

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
:comeon:

The quirky, drug-influenced, chant rap is still championed.

They are both being pushed at the same time.

Which is why you have some people who are upset with Kendrick and J Cole because while they do make different, non-Trap music...it's still getting pushed as the Anti-Trap "real" Hip Hop. They are the counter to Future, who is a counter to 'nerd rap' and thus you have two sides arguing but the labels winning.

Dotcom

OnAComUP
Daps
My older coli brehs will have to help me with 92 and 96.

When I say "changes" I mean It has to be an album that became a blueprint for others or had huge cultural impact.

But I think we can all collectively agree with the following:

1992. The Chronic (thanks @Shadow King)

1996. All Eyes On Me (thanks @Ashtrey)

2000. Marshal Mathers LP

2004. College Dropout

2008. 808's & Heartbreaks

2012. Good Kid Mad City

2016. :lupe: ???????

Thoughts :ohhh:
Wow, when u said that bro..I saw a Prophecy like u'r talking to me in code ...:lupe:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Not sure I agree with AEOM for 96 b/c that sound is completely gone from hip hop nowadays and was basically gone by 97.
It did spark the double album trend.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Any other suggestions for replacement? Would you say reasonable doubt? Or something else?
I was thinking IWW actually.
It marked an "underground" artist successfully transitioning to appealing to a broader audience, and doing it in a tasteful way. :ehh:
By 2000, hip hop was so watered down. Biggie and Nas did it right...other artists though :scust:
I think you could make a better argument for LAD a year later...but that doesn't fit with the election year theme though :yeshrug:

lucky lefty

Most Annoying Jay Z (aka GOAT) Stan of All Time
Daps
Reppin
West Philly aka Illadelf aka Tha 215
Dead @ the answer being anything but the upcoming classic (great 4/5 album @ worst) that the GOAT our Flow Lord and Lyrical Savior Hova Da Gawd bout to drop
anigif_enhanced-buzz-4528-1381155488-21.gif

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
They are both being pushed at the same time.

Which is why you have some people who are upset with Kendrick and J Cole because while they do make different, non-Trap music...it's still getting pushed as the Anti-Trap "real" Hip Hop. They are the counter to Future, who is a counter to 'nerd rap' and thus you have two sides arguing but the labels winning.
This is true but to me to really have a culture changing album the next wave of rappers 6-10 years behind you (in age) make their come up off a path you pave. Kendrick and Cole carry the weight of the non-trap/real shyt and get the recognition they deserve but it seems like the bracket of youthful dudes that would follow up are generally Future and Keef's offspring. I'll be watching to see what type of artists emerge to close the decade and I myself would like to be in that class but that's a whole another beast.

I do think GKMC and TPAB opened people up to realizing that a mainstream artist can make good conscious music though.

lucky lefty

Most Annoying Jay Z (aka GOAT) Stan of All Time
Daps
Reppin
West Philly aka Illadelf aka Tha 215
This retarded ass theory makes zero sense anyways considering the GOAT our Flow Lord and Lyrical Savior Hova Da Gawd didn't drop an album in 2012, 2008 or 2004

OP is a dumb fukk of the highest order to think anyone but the GOAT our Flow Lord and Lyrical Savior Hova Da Gawd is capable of dropping a game changing album especially @ this point in rap

Daps
Reppin
Yeah
I was thinking IWW actually.
It marked an "underground" artist successfully transitioning to appealing to a broader audience, and doing it in a tasteful way. :ehh:
By 2000, hip hop was so watered down. Biggie and Nas did it right...other artists though :scust:
I think you could make a better argument for LAD a year later...but that doesn't fit with the election year theme though :yeshrug:
What about fugees the score?

OnlyInCalifornia

Southern California/Vegas
Daps
Reppin
The Coli's 420th member
This is true but to me to really have a culture changing album the next wave of rappers 6-10 years behind you (in age) make their come up off a path you pave. Kendrick and Cole carry the weight of the non-trap/real shyt and get the recognition they deserve but it seems like the bracket of youthful dudes that would follow up are generally Future and Keef's offspring. I'll be watching to see what type of artists emerge to close the decade and I myself would like to be in that class but that's a whole another beast.

I do think GKMC and TPAB opened people up to realizing that a mainstream artist can make good conscious music though.

A lot of new artists are Future clones....but if they are not a Future clone, they seem to be a Kendrick clone. It's like ying and yang. I think the reason you hear Future and that kind of music more is that it's better to dance/party to. No one is going to Drais in Vegas to hear J Cole talk about losing his virginity on a track.

Lemonade is going to be the album this year though. I don't see anyone toping it even if it is over hyped.