Can a case be made that DMX is better than Nas?

Is DMX a better rapper than Nas

• Yes

Votes: 54 16.4%
  • No

Votes: 275 83.6%

• Total voters

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not much a fan of a lot of old school hip hop but I acknowledge the greats. I constantly hear talks of NAS being the GOAT particularly because of illmatic and his classic flows & verses HOWEVER going back and listening to hip hop and listening to DMX albums especially when he was in his prime, I don't see how Nas stans can make a case for him being better than X. I don't really care for illmatic but understand why some do but after that it appears to me that Nas fell off hard and while X also fell off his albums & impact seems to have aged like fine wine in comparison with Nas. Question for you guys? Can you show me evidence or clips or fashion or something of new aged rappers wanted to dress & write rhymes like nas? Don't think so... X lyrics, style & beats are so simplistic and easy that i believe the younger generation like myself can vibe more to his music. Despite being out of the game for some time DMX still get's a lot love from the 18-24 demographics and hes as much as recluse as NAS is... look i respect Nas but he doesn't have a better discography than DMX. Dmx is truly the better rapper. Sorry nas stans, now go on and neg me for this post :smile:

One of the few old school rappers I fukk with; kept it raw and simple was not trying to flex his vocabulary

All hail Dark Man X :blessed:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Simply put, No. You may like X more than Nas, but it would be hard to make a case for X being better than Nas outside of personal preference. X had one window in which that argument possibly would've fell in his favor which was '98 -'00.

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Simply put, No. You may like X more than Nas, but it would be hard to make a case for X being better than Nas outside of personal preference. X had one window in which that argument possibly would've fell in his favor which was '98 -'00.
And didn't nas have that same window particularly after illmatic where he could have ended this discussion but fell flat on his face?

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And didn't nas have that same window particularly after illmatic where he could have ended this discussion but fell flat on his face?

DMX was in his prime. I Am... was the only Nas album that was good out of the two that he dropped at the time. Fact is Nas is still Top 5. X isn't in the discussion. Why? Nas managed to remind people of his greatness in the face of critics who said he fell off.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Easily, DMX has with out question 1 classic album ( it's dark and hell is hot) and arguably 3.

Nas only has one.

Line up there sales # too, X wins.

Pull up there shows, X wins.

Put on a bunch of people, X wins.

Battle rapping, X wins.

Only thing X was never really tested on was a rap beef like Nas and Jay had

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Easily, DMX has with out question 1 classic album ( it's dark and hell is hot) and arguably 3.

Nas only has one.

Line up there sales # too, X wins.

Pull up there shows, X wins.

Put on a bunch of people, X wins.

Battle rapping, X wins.

Only thing X was never really tested on was a rap beef like Nas and Jay had
If this post doesn't scream GOAT I don't know what else does :lawd:

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

Nas only has one.
biden-debate-ryan.gif

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
DMX was in his prime. I Am... was the only Nas album that was good out of the two that he dropped at the time. Fact is Nas is still Top 5. X isn't in the discussion. Why? Nas managed to remind people of his greatness in the face of critics who said he fell off.
X fell off because of personal problems not because he couldn't rap anymore.. his case for Top 5 is just as good as Nas

And who has nas reminded of his greatness despite his fans?

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
You can make the case, but where Nas arguably started fluttering with his sophomore albums and projects in the late nineties he brought it back in a big way at the turn of the millennium. X just flat fell off arguably after his third album. Maybe because of his movie career or the drugs, but that fourth album didn't have the impact of his first three. I personally love the Great Depression, but it wasnt the same impact and he was never the same caliber artist again.

X is top ten artist for me. Nas is just top five.

Guru

1995 -
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Nas has Illmatic, IWW, Stillmatic, Lost Tapes and Gods Son.
DMX has IDAHIH.
A large opinion on Nas is that he has only 1 classic and that's illmatic and that's fine.. can't remember hearing a song played from those albums anywhere

Are you saying nas has 4 classic albums?