Career Profiles: Supply Chain

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I work in finance and I cannot stress this point enough. Get a call center job, that'll get you in the door to accounts receivable. From there you can get into a credit department. Meanwhile, let the company pay for all your accounting training. Then you'll go into credit management. At this point, you'll be making $60k-$85k. From here, you'll start to get a lot of banks looking to recruit you. Move into commercial banking, portfolio management, relationship management etc <100k+.
Good to know my guy

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
The UPS auto promotion is bs. I put in 5 years with a degree and they wouldn't let me take the supe test. Even the supes couldn't explain why management wouldn't take me. I was midnight which was a revolving down for part time managers.
I worked at the airhub in Philly 13 years ago, in DWS and unload and they asked me every other month to be a supe...I didn't want to do it because I didn't want to shave my facial hair. Eventually I caved because I was tired of being broke.

Sorry that happened to you. Could be the management, you're always subject to the management...and no disrespect, they might not have liked you. In which case...BOUNCE...I had plenty of jobs where the management hated me. Used to work in radio...and barely any of the leadership fukked with me. So I bounced and went where I was wanted.

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
The UPS auto promotion is bs. I put in 5 years with a degree and they wouldn't let me take the supe test. Even the supes couldn't explain why management wouldn't take me. I was midnight which was a revolving down for part time managers.
I’m not in the civilian side yet but this sounds personal

Brolic

High Value Poster
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
This seems incredibly oversimplified. I was looking for supply chain jobs last month and there’s all kinds of red tape industry specific requirements for these roles.

Facts, people land those positions through friends and family. A package handler at Amazon isn’t gonna move up to a 6 figure salary

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Facts, people land those positions through friends and family. A package handler at Amazon isn’t gonna move up to a 6 figure salary
Not overnight, no. It'll probably take 10 years, but it's doable.

I didn't know a single person in supply chain when I got hired as an hourly at 19 for ups. Made 32k as a part time supe at 25 in 2009...I left ups 2 years later and made 45. Every 2 years I'd either get promoted or leave for another job making 10-20% more.

You can't get complacent or give up. NOTHING about what I said is easy...but it's doable.

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
This seems incredibly oversimplified. I was looking for supply chain jobs last month and there’s all kinds of red tape industry specific requirements for these roles.

Get a CDL A and you'll rise up quicker. Guaranteed

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
Yall think Im reaching if I’m expecting at least $100K + salary?

Bachelors degree
12 years military experience in logistics /supply
6+ years Leadership / management experience

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Yall think Im reaching if I’m expecting at least $100K + salary?

Bachelors degree
12 years military experience in logistics /supply
6+ years Leadership / management experience
Of bat, yeah...but it depends on the market too. NYC, Bay area, you can probably get that.

You could get an analyst job making 75k give or take, or a warehouse supervisor job making 65k give or take. If you have a connect, that could be a game-changer.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
:whoo: May have to bookmark this and soak all the info in, once I get rid of this fukking headache. I been downbad for the past two days:

FemaleLoathsomeChital-max-1mb.gif

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Career Profile: Supply Chain

Current Role: Entrepreneur (own my own business in food manufacturing)

Previous Role: Supply chain manager / commodity manager

Salary Range: $70 - 120k

My years of experience: 15

Location: Philadelphia, PA (but worked in Upstate NY as well)

Hot Markets: Just about everywhere; supply chain is needed by everyone but each industry is different. Philly/NJ lots of Pharma supply chain, Midwest lots of food commodity or manufacturing supply chain (especially auto), TX/LA - petrochem supply chain or petrochem supporting industries, Cali - IT supply chain, Atlanta & Indy, lots of distribution supply chain

Job Summary: In the commodity management side of supply chain you typically manage a "commodity" which is a group of similar suppliers be it electronics, motors, food products, chemicals, packaging, etc. You are responsible for making sure the current supply base performs as well as making sure you vet new suppliers, come up with cost savings initiatives, and other ways to improve supply chain.

Education: Undergrad, BS in business admin, MBA focusing on supply chain; also in supply chain certs are important. To get in the door get your CPIM from APICS (no work experience required). Later get a CPSM from ISM or CSCP from APICS.

Work Specifics: Commodity management requires an extensive knowledge about many areas of business: procurement (negotiations and contracts), finance (payment terms and calculating inventory and other costs), international business (sourcing with global suppliers and calculating landed costs), and logistics/transportation to start.

Typically you have a group of suppliers you manage and you are responsible for 1) on-time performance and quality performance, 2) annual cost savings goals, 3) developing new suppliers, 4) working with other operations (sales and operations) to forecast and plan any supply chain changes needed to support goals

Why choose this career path/Backstory: I wanted a change of careers and was interested in manufacturing. I discovered supply chain studying for my MBA at a school known for supply chain. I liked it so much I joined APICS and ISM with the cheap student membership and then got my CPIM. Soon thereafter I got a job with a manufacturer in Upstate NY and worked with them. Great job and I lived in China & Brazil among other places and traveled all over the world to vet and develop suppliers.

Related Jobs: Supply chain management is the key job you want to get but there are many supporting roles which fall in or near "supply chain". Purchasing (like with buyers), logistics managers (transportation), import/export work, trade finance, and of course supplier quality management.

How to get your foot in the door: if you don't have experience or a degree, get a certification. The most accessible is the CPIM from APICS which requires not prior experience. Get the books from interlibrary loan to save hundreds of dollars since the test fees can be expensive. Then put this on your resume and start going to local chapter meetings of ISM, APICS, or CSCMP to network. Even better if you can go to one of their national or regional conferences. Lots of people get jobs there.

Notable Companies: Breh, there are way too many to mention. Every company has purchasing or supply chain but you want to find a firm that VALUES the supply chain function and supports it both with staffing and visibility. A company that has only a few people managing billions in spend and banging on them for cost savings is not where you want to be.

Entry Level Jobs: Easiest to get into is a buyer role but you can get stuck there. Aim for commodity manager or supply chain manager if you can

Entry Level Pay: Typically $70k+ but it may be $50-60k if you are recently out of college with no experience

Top End Jobs: VP of Supply Chain in the executive level. You may report to the CEO or COO or CFO

Top End Pay: $250k or so for high level VPs

Work/Life Balance: Expect at least 25% travel to visit and deal with suppliers. For hard core supply chain gigs with large overseas supply chains (like Apple, etc.) expect 50% travel. Luckily hours typically don't go beyond 60 per week unless things are going nuts

Any Other Interesting Information: ISM has a minority interest group you can reach out to and network with. They have a meetup at national conferences. Join the supply chain organizations and read the monthly magazines, you will learn a lot. Supply chain is really big on experience so if you can't get a certification and don't have the years of experience, start in a buyer or logistics role but make it clear you want to grow into a more supply chain position. If you can't do so at your current company look around to move to another. Often smaller companies are more open to people with less experience as are companies is less 'hot' areas (second tier cities, non-sexy industries, etc.)