City of Philadelphia will pay parents to drive kids to school due to bus driver shortage

Elim Garak

Veteran
Daps
licensed-image

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Yeah I could NEVER be a teacher or bus driver, I remember exactly how bad kids were when I was in school :hubie: no thanks

They're just gonna have to up the pay and benefits and have fewer kids per bus until the job fits the market. If taxes have to go up slightly so be it.

concise

Veteran
Daps
School bus drivers usually don’t work an 8 hour shift. It’s 6 or so hours a day. It’s a very important job though. They should have food pay and benefits, too many instances of drivers having heart attacks or strokes while driving or being under the influence.

This is only partially true. Yes, it's true that sometimes they don't do anything in the middle of the day, but they can't just take a whole second job in the middle of the day. They also have to be available for when school trips are scheduled.

BaileyPark31

Love, Peace, Health, and Wealth
Daps
Reppin
The Keystone State
That’s surprising but good to hear.

In our school district middle/ high school kids have to rely on public transit. So in addition to driver shortages causing there to not have enough service and making them late to class, they have to travel through Baltimore.. many times catching multiple buses while being exposed to lord knows what along the way

:mjcry:

Sorry to hear that. I cant even imagine putting one of my nieces on a city bus by themselves... but I'm familiar with Bmore and I know it has to be done.

Where I live public transport isn't even an option. And Only Juniors and Seniors are allowed to drive themselves to school. Our district only has 3400 kids total... so yeah we've been lucky as far as drivers. We even have the same driver from last year.

Plus... Idk how other schools work, but the drivers do 2 test runs of the bus route before school starts for the year.... and the 1st 3 days of school operate on a 2hour delay schedule (homeroom is xtended to two hours) just incase there are problems and so they likely won't miss a class.

BaileyPark31

Love, Peace, Health, and Wealth
Daps
Reppin
The Keystone State
Yeah I could NEVER be a teacher or bus driver, I remember exactly how bad kids were when I was in school :hubie: no thanks

They're just gonna have to up the pay and benefits and have fewer kids per bus until the job fits the market. If taxes have to go up slightly so be it.

In PA they're thinking about dropping the degree requirement to be a teacher. U just have to pass certification and a background check. ...

I just don't think I have it in me to be a school teacher.

eXodus

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sorry to hear that. I cant even imagine putting one of my nieces on a city bus by themselves... but I'm familiar with Bmore and I know it has to be done.

Where I live public transport isn't even an option. And Only Juniors and Seniors are allowed to drive themselves to school. Our district only has 3400 kids total... so yeah we've been lucky as far as drivers. We even have the same driver from last year.

Plus... Idk how other schools work, but the drivers do 2 test runs of the bus route before school starts for the year.... and the 1st 3 days of school operate on a 2hour delay schedule (homeroom is xtended to two hours) just incase there are problems and so they likely won't miss a class.
Damn, that’s awesome!

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
That’s surprising but good to hear.

In our school district middle/ high school kids have to rely on public transit. So in addition to driver shortages causing there to be gaps in service, making students late to school, they also have to travel through Baltimore.. many times catching multiple buses while being exposed to lord knows what along the way

:mjcry:

The way I remember it in NYC riding the school bus was for little kids and once you reached a certain age it was for medically fragile students or Special Ed cases.

Once you reached middle school you were given a MetroCard and were expected to take public transport.

eXodus

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The way I remember it in NYC riding the school bus was for little kids and once you reached a certain age it was for medically fragile students or Special Ed cases.

Once you reached middle school you were given a MetroCard and were expected to take public transport.
Yea, it’s the same exact set up in Baltimore breh. But unfortunately, the public transit system is substandard here. So long wait times are common, as well as 90+ min commutes and students often miss large portions of their 1st period classes.

Data from 2019 showed that the 20,000 high school students who relied on public transit were collectively tardy for the 1st period class, over 335,000 times. It’s probably even worse post covid.

• Wow
Reactions: ISO