Coli (future)parents do/will you feed your kids soul food

Kwéyòl

Moon walking seeing moon people
Daps
Reppin
St.Lucia,Dominica n St.Croix
Can someone provide me with specific examples of soul food?

I am Nigerian and grew eating mostly Nigerian food, and Caribbean food. Soul food is cool, but I am not a serious fan of soul food. If I marry an African American man I will be more than happy to make it, but it's not something I see myself mostly making if I marry an African man or Afro Caribbean man.My kids will mostly eat food like this.
Jollof_rice_with_fried_fish_and_fried_plantain.jpg

That looks amazing right now :whoo: I need a plate of that ASAP:whew::to:

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jamaican food

I remember growing up Ackee and saltfish for breakfast, rice and peas and oxtail for dinner, and a slice of bun and cheese right before I go to bed. :banderas:

I ain't marrying a chick that can't cook Jamaican food. :camby:

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
That looks amazing right now :whoo: I need a plate of that ASAP:whew::to:

Its very easy to make.

I actually prefer yellow jellof rice with the peas and carrots in it, especially when it is seasoned properly. The fried or bake goat meat really makes it taste great.

Mushroom rice with black beans is also delicious, especially with moin moin

mskyanicks-black-rice-prom.jpg

782e710d96bb960a072e928cddfe7a0c.jpg

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
Jamaican food

I remember growing up Ackee and saltfish for breakfast, rice and peas and oxtail for dinner, and a slice of bun and cheese right before I go to bed. :banderas:

I ain't marrying a chick that can't cook Jamaican food. :camby:

What is Ackee? I think I know what you're talking about, but please describe it for me.

Daps
Reppin
D[M]V
It's all about moderation. Theres a difference between eating soul food everyday and on holiday occasions. If you're throwing down in the kitchen like that on the daily, yes you're going to have fat ass kids.

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
My folks raised me and my fam on what I guess could be called Soul Food but look here...my mom could cook and we had a garden..naturally grown peas and cabbage and assortment of vegetables. We didn't end up with a truckload of health issues. Now that I've moved out my diet took a nosedive but in the past year I've been on that hard making improvements and I haven't felt this good in forever.

People expose themselves coming in here acting like Soul Food is all about being unhealthy. Do you have to get every single thought in your head from some biased negative source?

Kwéyòl

Moon walking seeing moon people
Daps
Reppin
St.Lucia,Dominica n St.Croix
Its very easy to make.

I actually prefer yellow jellof rice with the peas and carrots in it, especially when it is seasoned properly. The fried or bake goat meat really makes it taste great.

Mushroom rice with black beans is also delicious, especially with moin moin

mskyanicks-black-rice-prom.jpg

782e710d96bb960a072e928cddfe7a0c.jpg

Didn't know Nigerian food sounded so amazing :whoo::to:

Home for the summer till college start up again and my mom said shes gonna make curry goat tonight :banderas:
curried-goat-rice-peas.jpg

:blessed:

Raava

Staff member
Daps
My children will grow up on a Southern/African(Cameroonian) fusion diet. I cook all of the stuff above plus the Southern food I was raised with (other than plantains and goat, the actual food items aren't that different).

They aren't that different at all. I was just reading an article about how jambalaya has roots in Jollof rice (:ohlawd:). A lot of our food is more similar than people want to admit.

I try to cook different kinds of cuisines and like @Peter Vecsey said base recipes for many require some type of oil/fat for somethings. I love to mix and match flavors. You can make it healthier or worse depending. People assume the negativity associated with soul food and try to make others sound way better when it's not. Most of the health problems in the black community is a poverty problem and how processed American food can be.

miranda

Banned
Supporter
Daps
not everyday or probably even every week, but my children will have chitlins at least once