Crime is starting to go down despite reports that crime is rising

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
A lot of those statistics are wrong

A lot of cities don’t report it because of tourism and they don’t want to hurt their name

Crime is out of control from Seattle to Alabama and everywhere else in between
Car jackings in Atlanta are on a whole other level. If you not Ubering into the city then you’re playing yourself

I see the bay and DC is like this too

Lakers Offseason

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tell this to the people that live in Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore, etc that has to deal with this bullshyt that it's being taken care off and crime is going down.

Human Torch

Byrd Gang 🦅
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly born. PG raised
Crazy in Philly and other places, too.

Was just telling my grandma that I think these PG county and DC kids outdid Philly kids this year. (Not in a celebratory manner).

She still lives in West Oak Lane. I be worried about her too cuz she’s 80+ and still driving and everything else.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Yea that’s how peaks work
Philly had a 20% decrease in murders but people are still getting killed everyday. It’s a lot of room for improvement when you break records

Also be wary of stats in mayoral election years , especially when 1 party (democrats in most cases in majority black cities) control the local government. People will be demanding tough on crime candidates so enforcement from police usually goes into overdrive leading up to election

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Media is designed to keep you in a fear state so that you’re more easily influenced by the ads they promote. The world has INCREASINGLY become safer and safer and easier to live in and succeed in since the beginning of time, but people don’t wanna hear that.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
In a related note, Retailers have been overstating theft. I copied and pasted parts I thought were important. Methinks companies are riding this shoplifting wave to justify business cuts and increase prices. Fear mongering

NEW YORK (AP) — The National Retail Federation, the nation’s largest retail trade group, has revised a report released in April that pulls back the claim that organized retail crime accounts for nearly half of overall industry shrink, which measures overall loss in inventory, including theft

David Johnston, the national retail group’s vice president of asset protection and retail operations, told The Associated Press in an interview on Thursday that the discrepancy was based on K2 referencing U.S. Senate testimony delivered in 2021 by Ben Dugan, who at the time was the president of a nonpartisan group called the Coalition of Law Enforcement and Retail, or CLEAR. In testimony, Dugan said that organized retail crime accounted for $45 billion in annual losses for retailers and cited the coalition

The K2 analyst then made an incorrect inference linking the 2022 NRF security survey’s results with the CLEAR figure. Johnston said he hasn’t been able to confirm where CLEAR derived the $45 billion amount, but he said that a 2016 security survey by the retail trade group reported $45 billion in overall shrink loss.

The revised report also deleted any estimate of organized retail crime’s overall impact in dollars and any reference to CLEAR.

“It was an inaccurate inference,” Johnston said. “We missed it.”

It’s unclear how much money retailers broadly are losing due to organized retail crime — or if the problem has substantially increased. But the issue has received more notice in the past few years as high-profile smash-and-grab retail thefts and flash mob robberies have garnered national media attention. Over the past few quarters, an increasing number of retailers including dikk’s Sporting Goods and Ulta Beauty have been calling out rising theft, citing it a factor in shrinking profits.

Target announced in late September that it was closing nine stores in four states, including one in New York City’s East Harlem neighborhood, and three in the San Francisco Bay Area, saying that theft and organized retail crime have threatened the safety of its workers and customers. The stores closed in late October.

But a shoplifting report examining 24 major U.S. cities published in November by the nonpartisan Council on Criminal Justice paints a different picture. The report, which uses police data through the first half of 2023, shows shoplifting incidents were 16% higher compared with the first half of 2019. But excluding New York City, reported incidents actually fell 7% over the same time period.

Ernesto Lopez of the Council of Criminal Justice and co-author of the report, had said the study adds new context to previous efforts to measure shoplifting trends, which were based on data from single jurisdictions or retailers. Still, more data is needed.

“At this point, we just don’t have a strong grasp on the extent and changing nature of the shoplifting problem, ” he said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Thursday in response to NRF’s revision. He noted that it’s unclear how many retailers are reporting theft incidents to police, and how often they are reporting them. He also said it’s unclear how anti-theft measures taken by retailers may be affecting theft levels.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
The property crimes are bad too. All that shyt creates trauma

Y’all don’t get it

Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't. I've had my shyt broken into multiple times. But if it's that or get my head blown off its an easy choice. And I can also say, as someone who's see/heard people get killed more than once. Yeah, I'd rather someone just take my TV.

Again, if there was a choice.

You can’t use Detroit its a city that has a historical high crime rate. Detroit had 309 murders last year

I get your point, but then we'd be constantly moving the goal posts. 0 crime will never exist, ever. But if we're talking about a homicide low that's reaching the levels of pre-recession 1970's that's a step in the right direction. Not saying crime is all of a sudden "over" in Detroit or anywhere else.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
People gotta protect their narratives.
What narrative?
In a related note, Retailers have been overstating theft. I copied and pasted parts I thought were important. Methinks companies are riding this shoplifting wave to justify business cuts and increase prices. Fear mongering

NEW YORK (AP) — The National Retail Federation, the nation’s largest retail trade group, has revised a report released in April that pulls back the claim that organized retail crime accounts for nearly half of overall industry shrink, which measures overall loss in inventory, including theft

David Johnston, the national retail group’s vice president of asset protection and retail operations, told The Associated Press in an interview on Thursday that the discrepancy was based on K2 referencing U.S. Senate testimony delivered in 2021 by Ben Dugan, who at the time was the president of a nonpartisan group called the Coalition of Law Enforcement and Retail, or CLEAR. In testimony, Dugan said that organized retail crime accounted for $45 billion in annual losses for retailers and cited the coalition

The K2 analyst then made an incorrect inference linking the 2022 NRF security survey’s results with the CLEAR figure. Johnston said he hasn’t been able to confirm where CLEAR derived the $45 billion amount, but he said that a 2016 security survey by the retail trade group reported $45 billion in overall shrink loss.

The revised report also deleted any estimate of organized retail crime’s overall impact in dollars and any reference to CLEAR.

“It was an inaccurate inference,” Johnston said. “We missed it.”

It’s unclear how much money retailers broadly are losing due to organized retail crime — or if the problem has substantially increased. But the issue has received more notice in the past few years as high-profile smash-and-grab retail thefts and flash mob robberies have garnered national media attention. Over the past few quarters, an increasing number of retailers including dikk’s Sporting Goods and Ulta Beauty have been calling out rising theft, citing it a factor in shrinking profits.

Target announced in late September that it was closing nine stores in four states, including one in New York City’s East Harlem neighborhood, and three in the San Francisco Bay Area, saying that theft and organized retail crime have threatened the safety of its workers and customers. The stores closed in late October.

But a shoplifting report examining 24 major U.S. cities published in November by the nonpartisan Council on Criminal Justice paints a different picture. The report, which uses police data through the first half of 2023, shows shoplifting incidents were 16% higher compared with the first half of 2019. But excluding New York City, reported incidents actually fell 7% over the same time period.

Ernesto Lopez of the Council of Criminal Justice and co-author of the report, had said the study adds new context to previous efforts to measure shoplifting trends, which were based on data from single jurisdictions or retailers. Still, more data is needed.

“At this point, we just don’t have a strong grasp on the extent and changing nature of the shoplifting problem, ” he said in a statement sent to The Associated Press on Thursday in response to NRF’s revision. He noted that it’s unclear how many retailers are reporting theft incidents to police, and how often they are reporting them. He also said it’s unclear how anti-theft measures taken by retailers may be affecting theft levels.
this article is all over the place

Daps
Yeah but idiots will always eat up the crime narrative no matter what you tell them

Case in point, a bunch of posts from velcro shoe wearing idiots in this thread who think their opinions mean more than actual stats and facts.

Thanks Republicans for making idiots think their opinions matter more than actual facts :francis:

Last edited: