Did anyone think 20 years after Madlib produced The Unseen and Alchemist produced Keep it Thoro...

djfilthyrich

All Star
Daps
Alc and Madlib are both beats.

9th is hella overrated. Shoot, (from what I understand via a Phonte interview) LB essentially kicked him out of the group. Like, Nah, we good.

The Listening, God's Step Son, and some of the tracks he did with Murs are still dope to me, though. But that project he did with Buckshot, for example, nah, that wasn't it.

Just my $0.02 USD

Agree....I also liked 9ths remix of the Stillmatic album, and some of the bootleg remixes he had out at the time.....I even fukked with the trilogy he did with Boot Camp.....but after that I kinda lost interest in his production

Alc is a beast....can't wait to hear the Lulu album he's doing with Conway due out in a week.
Madlib is on another level right now......album of the year last year IMO, and those upcoming projects with WSG and hopefully Pusha should be fire

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
I knew Madlib was a generational talent and Alchemist was going to be one of the only guys making beats with a nod to DJ Premier that got placements with rappers du jour.

you’d be remiss to think guys like DJ Spinna, Kev Brown & Count Bass D aren’t all still operating at their personal bests too.

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Madlib has been killing it since those early 90s Alkaholiks albums.

There was a period I thought Alchemist had fallen off....around the mid 2000s. I remember being underwhelmed by the 1st Infantry album and some other things he was doing 04-06. The 1st Infantry album has since grown on me, although I still think it's far from his best work and there's some filler.

But him transitioning from dude guys go to for random tracks to focusing more on producing projects for different artists was good move for him and helped freshen up his style.

Daps
That two relatively new cats at the start of the 2000's in Madlib and Alchemist would not only be still around, but be legends that would be as relevant as ever to to hip-hop heads and to the game itself?

Madlib and Alchemist dropped two of the best produced albums of 2019 in Bandana and Yacht Rock 2, and they both have 2 early contenders for 2020 (Professionals and Tea in China.).

:mindblown:

It's surreal. The late 90's and early 00's was full of producers that came and went. Barely any were producing entire albums. There was so much disposable music, and most producers were hit men hired for 1 or 2 jobs per project if they were lucky. And 20 years later, Madlib and Alc are busy as ever, and slated to drop as much music as ever.

No one is promised tomorrow. That's as clear as ever in these crazy times we're living in. Just trying to give my 2 favorite producers their flowers while they're here.
:wow:

Yeah, it's kinda crazy that in '99 Al and 'Lib were my two favorite new producers. I was pollying with Peanut Butter Wolf via email about trying to get some Madlib production back in '99. Never imagined he'd have taken the production world over.

My favorite Madlib beat is still probably the Definition of Ill remix. Couldn't see him working with Erykah Badu and becoming damn near a household name in the hip-hop industry.

And I still remember recording the first Alchemist produced track off the radio. Severe and OC "If words could kill."

Daps
dont sleep on B!nk brehs :blessed:

He's been quiet as fukk recently, but I would have added Ayatollah to this group too. Al and Madlib took their fame and production credits to another level, but my top 5 "new" producers around the turn of the century were Madlib, Alchemist, Ayatollah, DJ Spinna, and DJ Hi-tek.

Hi-tek is kinda iffy as a "new" producer cuz he he's had credits since '96.

dj-method-x

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
first time I heard Malc was that Kool G rap song on Mobb Deep's Murda Muzik. I thought that was Havoc at first. I started paying attention to Alc after that.