"Do you know who that is?"

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
This is what I asked my 5-year-old yesterday at the mall, as we were looking over the balcony and down into a display which included a group of decorated Christmas trees, faux snow, glitter and garland. There was also a big chair and, in it, sat the man we all know - Santa Claus.

Anyway, she stopped to look down, and her eyes stopped on him. I was curious if she knew who he was, so I just asked, "Do you know who that is?" She shook her head and said, "No."

It was a strange feeling. I grew up believing in Santa and already got excited around Christmas time (until the age of 9) from the very thought of seeing him and getting gifts on 12/25. Of course, as a young girl, I wasn't thinking about or even knew what White supremacy was or how it affected me as a Black person in this country. As an adult, I don't claim to be 'woke' or a hotep sister. I've just reflected enough to truly question the value in passing on a lot that was giving down to me as 'tradition'. Santa Claus during Christmas is one of those traditions. It is an internal struggle, I have to admit, because a big part of me feels like Black kids need to always know the truth about things because Black people are not the ones that benefit from the illusions which comprise life under WF.

While I'm not trying to shelter my kids from the world, I'm really not trying to outright lie to them either. Given the climate of life for Black folks in this country, it is just hard to tell my kids an old white man is going to give them presents for them behaving well. That being said, I quickly explained to her who Santa was or, rather, who some people think he is. She replied, "But you and daddy buy us gifts for Christmas." That is what she had been taught up until that moment.

I'm wondering for other brehs and brehettes here with kids, what do you tell your kids about Santa during this time of year? For the ones who don't have kids, what would you tell them about Santa if you had them? What were you guys told about Santa coming up? Do you think it 'spoils' the season for kids by not giving them something 'magical' to believe in this time of year?

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Everyone raises their kids differently and no way is wrong, but you can't use white supremacy as an excuse. It does kind of ruin the magic if they don't have Santa to believe in, but it depends on the child. She's only 5 so she needs something to believe in. I would've let her believe and then tell her the truth in a few years. She's still too young to worry about the world's problems.

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
Everyone raises their kids differently and no way is wrong, but you can't use white supremacy as an excuse. It does kind of ruin the magic if they don't have Santa to believe in, but it depends on the child. She's only 5 so she needs something to believe in. I would've let her believe and then tell her the truth in a few years. She's still too young to worry about the world's problems.

I do hate the fact of her not believing in something. That is why I felt so weird when she told me she didn't even recognize him. But I guess that shouldn't be a surprise because we have never discussed Santa in this house. Honestly, if we lived in an area where there was a Black Santa, I probably wouldn't have that big of an issue with it.

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
I'm not a Christian but I celebrated Christmas every year. It was brilliant. You can decorate your house with black Santas you don't have to have a white santa. It's a symbol not a literal historical figure.

Did you grow up in Morocco?

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I do hate the fact of her not believing in something. That is why I felt so weird when she told me she didn't even recognize him. But I guess that shouldn't be a surprise because we have never discussed Santa in this house. Honestly, if we lived in an area where there was a Black Santa, I probably wouldn't have that big of an issue with it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They all find out the truth anyways. Long as you raise a smart, caring, and good woman, that's all that matters. Enjoy her innocence now while you can.

Elle Seven

Superstar
Daps
I wouldn't worry too much about it. They all find out the truth anyways. Long as you raise a smart, caring, and good woman, that's all that matters. Enjoy her innocence now while you can.

So true.

I'm not sure if the reason I'm so hyper aware of the Santa race thing is because I grew up in an all-black environment, but my kids don't. It's common for them to be the only chocolate chips in a sea of milk, so to speak, when we go places around here, so the Santa bit is something that haunts me personally now. I'm not even sure if it's something they are aware of, though.