Does anyone else miss the blog rap/blog rock era?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Hell No, this the era that killed Rap. After the Kanye/50 stand off and Kanye won. All these non street, weirdo rappers flooded the market.

The best rappers from that period is:

Kendrick
Wale
Drake
Cole
Cudi

Would be unnoticed in era before.
That was the beginning of my teen years and it was my introduction into hip hop music other than the shyt my cousins played. Give me some leeway:hubie:

Yinny

Biracial a little bit
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
Hell No, this the era that killed Rap. After the Kanye/50 stand off and Kanye won. All these non street, weirdo rappers flooded the market.

Kendrick
Wale
Drake
Cole
Cudi

I didn’t mind that they weren’t Street but they were incredibly corny and whiny. It was the “anti-cool” “different kids” rap that wasn’t particularly great on its own that irked me.

That said I had a departure from HH at the time was more leaning towards rock/electronica/ I’m spacing on what the genres were termed but think Kittyhawke, Postal Service, Junior Boys, Groove Armada, Thievery Diplo/Major Lazer

I still loved Wayne

Started liking Drake at “I’m Going In” though then added YM a bit later. Kendrick waaaayyyy later.

To answer the thread q, no, def don’t miss it.

Last edited:

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh

Kendrick
Wale
Drake
Cole
Cudi

Regular guy raps. shyts terrible. Just overall corny. Kendrick is cool though.

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
peak blog rock was more 2004-2012

Arcade Fire, Dirty Projectors, Deerhunter, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Bloc Party, Animal Collective, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Broken Social Scene, etc.

2013 was a turning point. Arcade Fire dropped the dance influnced Reflektor, that got mixed reviews. Conde Nast bought out Pitchfork. Hip-hop completely eclipsed rock in popular music.

UK and Australia has a popping rock scene, the states kinda ehhh right now. Indie heads seemed to drift to EDM / House music, ambient/drone or "alt" R&B. Or they love drill music and trap and pretend they never fukked with backpacker shyt like Brother Ali & Company Flow

i think the blog / underground hip-hop started in 08 and peaked in 2015

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
peak blog rock was more 2004-2012

Arcade Fire, Dirty Projectors, Deerhunter, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, Bloc Party, Animal Collective, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Broken Social Scene, etc.

2013 was a turning point. Arcade Fire dropped the dance influnced Reflektor, that got mixed reviews. Conde Nast bought out Pitchfork. Hip-hop completely eclipsed rock in popular music.

UK and Australia has a popping rock scene, the states kinda ehhh right now. Indie heads seemed to drift to EDM / House music, ambient/drone or "alt" R&B. Or they love drill music and trap and pretend they never fukked with backpacker shyt like Brother Ali & Company Flow

i think the blog / underground hip-hop started in 08 and peaked in 2015
I guess I caught the tail end of the blog rock era cause I felt like that culture sorta bled into the early 2010s. You're right about 2013 being a turning point. For my experience, it seemed like the hipsters started to feel disillusioned. The indie kids at high school started shifting to Frank Ocean ad (pre-stardom) SZA.