Does anyone else miss the blog rap/blog rock era?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Anyone familiar with the rock side of the blog era? What was your favorite band?

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I felt like it was an in between time between Spotify era of 2015+ and the rapper cosign era of the early to mid 2000s. Technology was advanced enough to have relatively easy access to music but not saturated enough that artists had to relay on streams for success.

Yeah I think it was like a perfect balance between more access but not too much and not monetizing everything. Tons of dudes were just dropping one off projects, or just a couple of tracks on their SC page, free download, not even a mixtape, it was like this big "let's just get our music out there" movement. I was deep into Soulection and that type of stuff and absolute HEAT was dropping like every week from artists I had never heard of and would never hear of again lmao. I mean as strange as it sounds I had a lot of fun in that era all by myself in front of my computer searching and digging, ending up on random blogs about mexican eletronic music:mjlol:

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
2009-2014 was such a legendary time for hip hop and rock music brehs. I was in middle school/high school during the times and it just brings back good memories:mjcry:

And this is just 0.0001% of it
Shout out to Kitty Pryde:banderas:

It wasn't a legendary time, you were just a teenager so this is the time that shaped your taste in music :yeshrug: although I will admit that you caught a halfway decent time, there is brehs on here looking through rose tinted glasses at the murder inc run or the swizz beats pushing three keys on his triton over and over era :scust:

JayStarwind

Superstar
Daps
There was a thread some time ago in The Booth about this. It was a cool era because you had more access to new artists that were seemingly appearing out of nowhere every other day, but you still kind of had to dig in those blogs to find them. More guys got on but there still was a premium on creativity so there was a lot of diversity. And as a fan it was fun as hell to go from one blog to another, to YT joints with 3000 views, to Soundcloud and Bandcamp to try to find this or that track you heard on some random mix. I loved it especially as I was also kind of digging in the whole electronic/bass/"trap"/moombathon/etc scene.
And diversity was the biggest selling point imo. Folks dog the era because they feel like it was boring, but every rapper/group having their own style was dope as it opened up listener's ears to different sounds and perspectives. No one sound dominated which allowed everyone to eat.

I only experienced the Rap side of things. What are some of your favorite Electronic projects from back then?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Blog rap is literally the reason we are at this low in hip hop. Those bloggers became gate keepers, and they did a terrible job.
I could see that point. The music was amazing but the execution was bad. The Anthony Fantano types made reviews that put rap into a pidgeonhole.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
Masked Singer features B/C list celebrities. Why are yall acting like Wiz is playing in the G League? Lol.

rap fans dont give a shyt about him. Kush & OJ era dont even resonate anymore cuz he sold out so bad

D

Does Crenshaw-era Nipsey count as blog rap?

Marathan, Marathon Continues

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
I could see that point. The music was amazing but the execution was bad. The Anthony Fantano types made reviews that put rap into a pidgeonhole.

does he still make reviews? He was a cornball

Yinny

Biracial a little bit
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
Blog rap is literally the reason we are at this low in hip hop. Those bloggers became gate keepers, and they did a terrible job.

And they were shyt writers. Vibe and the other mags, I used to really look forward to their pieces and reviews - not as a Bible but they were actually good and had interesting non-salacious stories.

Fader, etc really became about everything but the music itself (lifestyle-shoehorning "the culture"), which wasn't even that remarkable. Then they became contrarian or just insufferably wrong womp womp