Dre was like, “Nah, I’m going to do my shyt. Big, you do whatever you want to do.”

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
How was it transitioning from deejaying for Outkast to deejaying for just Big Boi?

It wasn’t a big transition because I put a lot of shyt together and knew the music. Big was just so hurt because he couldn’t believe him and Dre wasn’t going to tour together anymore. In fact, when Dre did “Hey Ya,” we had to do a promo thing for MTV in Cannes, France and they wanted Outkast to do a 20-minute set. So, they wanted Dre to do “Hey Ya” and Big to do “The Way You Move” and about four more songs. Dre was like, “Nah, I’m going to do my shyt. Big, you do whatever you want to do.” That was the first time I saw Big be sad. I think he almost cried because he couldn’t believe that. Dre did “Hey Ya” and had the life-sized character poster boards.

Link for full interview with outkast dj, Cutmaster Swiff.

Tour Tales | DJ Cutmaster Swiff talks pre-fame Outkast, Prince giving Andre show advice, and the duo’s legacy

Last edited:

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
I think Dre came to his senses too in France

because he eventually saw kast could not do a interview.. without a hey ya performance

Regis Leno .. letterman etc those shows got their ratings off hey ya

It was one of the awards shows where Dre performed prototype instead of hey ya

he was forced back out n he literally said for the thousandth time 1..2..3..4

he was done after that performance

idlewild came .. he let big do all the performance with Morris brown

the same ppl who was usin em for ratings fell back

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Dre fukked up so much money for for Big Boi.

I'd be pissed and sad too.
wah wah wah... he can't perform. you seen him at coachella with his back to the crowd the first show.

why should he have panic attacks on stage just so you can be entertained? if he doesn't have it mentally to perform then let him bow out.

H. Selassie

Black Royalty
Daps
As a lifelong Kast fan, Dre’s mercurial nature irks me. That said...Based on the 4 classics they gave us in their heyday, he owes Hip-Hop nothing. He didn’t cheat the game. We were not robbed.

Big Boi is his brother so their personal relationship is between them.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
This was fair if Dre was still going hard after Kast. But dude faded to black. Can't nobody but Big hold anything against him.
nikka started getting into acting n shyt like that around this time frame. Started trying to separate himself from the group and hip hop shyt.