Edit: I'm An Idiot

King Musa

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
The thing that really disturbed me was how popular that song was in it's time, specifically Billie Holiday's version. I saw a documentary on it that at first they were afraid of releasing the song, given the theme. But it ended up being a very popular song, white people loved it. It was one of her most requested songs to be performed. I find that odd given that the song was pertinent to that time. It was a sad reality. I have trouble listening to it and don't like to listen to it too often because it's so sorrowful and painful. How people used to like to see it performed given it was still going on, I find that very "strange".

Did they understand the subject matter at the time?

King Musa

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
@bdizzle @Y2Dre Ya'll nikkas wanna get one of these Ban bets going to prove my blackness again or are you nikkas pump faking because you don't want me posting here and you have to pretend that I'm White to justify so? It's your choice, we could do this tonight, within the next minute, hour, day, I don't give a fukk. Ya'll nikkas stay accusing folks of being White for the slightest but, back down to nikkas when they challenge ya'll on whether you want the proof or not. :russ:

Daps
Did they understand the subject matter at the time?
Honestly I doubt most cacs understood the meaning. Back in them days I feel like people didn't really care about lyrics and songwriting, more the singers voice and music, jazz and lounge style singing was HUGE. Jazz was probably more popular than hip hop is today. If u listen to music from back then a lot of the lyrics were basic af aside from a lot of black artists. But cacs just want to be entertained , they don't connect because majority of them are souless