Finding a good lawyer

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
OP, best way to find good ones is through a referral. Everything looks glowing on a firm website. I’m in a few legal group chats, one with about 4,500 or so black lawyers/law students. People ask for referrals all the time on there and most often there’s good replies.

Piff Tannen

Superstar
Daps
If you're living that life, word of mouth, bail bondsman are always at the courthouses and in the know.

Pro tip: Stash some cash for a legal defense/bond, move more cautious, watch new faces/people from the past/pretty much everyone.

ALSO, GO A DIFFERENT WAY TO WHEREVER AND KNOW ALL THOSE STREETS FOR A EXIT. YOUR LIFE fukkING DEPENDS ON IT!!!

STAY AWARE OF EVERYTHING

DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE, MAKE A STATEMENT ETC. REQUEST LEGAL COUNSEL ASAP. DO NOT DISCUSS YOUR CASE WHILE LOCKED UP ETC

real shyt

If you have insurance through work, they usually have legal resources to help find a lawyer.

thanks, I'll look into that

A PD is going to be the most well-versed, if you meet the income threshold. They just have high workloads.
If you're above the income threshold, there are a LOT of options, depending on what the issue is. I honestly (as a lawyer) have no way of recommending a good lawyer to someone without knowing more about the situation, the field, and the area you live in.

Check the local state court criminal decisions and who counsel is for Defendant in those - particularly the appellate cases.

Contrary to what others are saying: advertising doesn't tell you anything about the quality of an attorney, neither does their attire. PM me if you have more questions.

taking-notes.gif

this was really helpful; thanks breh ill definitely hit you up as I continue to do my due diligence on finding an attorney

Piff Tannen

Superstar
Daps
OP, best way to find good ones is through a referral. Everything looks glowing on a firm website. I’m in a few legal group chats, one with about 4,500 or so black lawyers/law students. People ask for referrals all the time on there and most often there’s good replies.

thanks, I've gotten one so far. But I'm still trying to weigh my options. if u can PM me and let me know a little more about those legal group chats it would be greatly appreciated

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
thanks, I've gotten one so far. But I'm still trying to weigh my options. if u can PM me and let me know a little more about those legal group chats it would be greatly appreciated
Well they’re limited to lawyers/law students. It’s a GroupMe group.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
For my coli brehs whosever who's had any legal or criminal trouble in the past. What were the first steps in finding a good attorney?
Search for lawyers as specific to your case as possible then look more into them. Call for a free consultation.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Word of mouth. The lawyer that beat my case came highly recommended by a bunch of my friends that he had beaten cases for in the past. It also helps if they practice in the same county that the case is being tried in. Good luck 👍🏽

gonnagetit

Banned
Daps
If you facing criminal charges and cannot afford a lawyer always always get public defender. A lot of public defenders get a bad rap and lots of people advise hire a lawyer when dealing with criminal which is true in some aspects but the public defender can do just as good as job as a paid lawyer. I know someone who beat every felony and misdemeanor criminal case with a public defender and he gave me the game how to make the attorney work for you by following up and staying on top of your case. If you facing civil matter then you can use Avvo to search for a lawyer in your area and always negotiage your legal fees. Dont fall for the 33% nonsense you can get legal fees at 15%-20%. Scout out at least 10 lawyers and let them know you in talks with other lawyers then make them work from there in terms of who you want to hire. Once hired make sure you stay on top of your case always read whats in writing and never take what your lawyer say as the truth always do your own research outside of the lawyer and give suggestions. Remember lawyers finesse clients just make them aware you on top of the game.

cheek100

Truuu
Supporter
Daps
Make sure he's jewish. You think I'm kidding. I'm not. :ufdup:
not true Jews will finesse and lie too. A greedy lawyer doesn’t automatically equate to a skilled lawyer.

honestly op an attorney is like your fav brand of shoe, u gotta try em on and wear them thru the trenches to know they’re right for u. So yea if u asking it’s too late for a definitive answer. Hopefully next time ull be prepared and have the right guy/gal on deck with a paid retainer.
I learned this the hard way.
avvo = paid
superlawyers = paid
theyre all full of shyt, but necessary

morris

Superstar
Daps
What's the charge OP?

I got into a scuffle 10 years ago in NYC, nothing major at all. Was locked up for only a few hours then released. I was ordered to appear in court. At the time I was traveling for work so time and money was an issue. After hours of scouring online, found an older white lawyer who would do it for cheap. That he happened to be old and white was nothing major to me. The reason I picked him was, more than price, he assured me he would have it thrown out (not even a felony-low level misdemeanor) and most importantly, I would not have to miss work (show up to court in person).

Now, if your charge is a felony seek the other replies.

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
For my coli brehs whosever who's had any legal or criminal trouble in the past. What were the first steps in finding a good attorney?

Other than word of mouth via people you trust?

If you have a day or two to kill...go to your local criminal courthouse, ask for the courtroom that handles pre-trial issues. Sit there, observe.

See which attorney's make the most persuasive arguments, to you. Also, look to see how these defense attorneys interact with, not only the judge, but the court staff, clerks, bailiff, etc. And most importantly, see how the defense attorneys interact with the prosecutors.

Believe it or not, just because a defense attorney engages with the prosecutor in an affable manner doesn't mean he's going to screw you over.

You can tell a smooth operator when you see one. Someone who has both the knowledge and the magnetism to garner respect from the courtroom.

Word of mouth can be tricky. I ended up referring my boy to an attorney who ended up screwing him. I got this referral from another attorney. So take that as you will.

Like I said, if you have the time to spend a day or two at a courthouse, do it. You're going to be paying an attorney a lot of money. Why not see your prospective candidates in action?