Floyd Mayweather on Maidana fight: "Im not gonna run...Im coming right at him"

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Floyd Mayweather Media Day Quotes:

FLOYD MAYWEATHER, 10-Time World Champion

“In 18 years I haven’t brought my best out yet. Being around the sport for so long, I have a lot of experience. I’ve boxed my whole life. I’ve never worked a job.

“As I get older I want to settle down and be with my family. I’ve had enough fun.

“It feels good to be in camp. Everyone on the team is ready to go out and do what we do best.

“This is a give and take type of sport. Al Haymon has done a good job. Leonard Ellerbe has done a good job. Now it’s time for me to go out and do what I do.

“Maidana deserves the opportunity. He’s a champion with an 80 percent knockout ratio. He deserves this fight.

“Everything isn’t about speed. Everything in boxing and life is about timing. I’m a fighter that likes to take my time and be smart. Some fighters like to be reckless. You see what happens when fighters are reckless.

“Boxing is like chess. Every move has to be thought about before you make it. I like to study my opponents first.

“I’m not going to do a lot of moving when I get in the ring. I’m coming straight ahead.

“Everyone is supposed to say they want to fight me. Right now Maidana is the guy that I can’t overlook.

“I love all my fans that support me from Argentina. It’s the sport of boxing, so the best have to fight the best.”

Read more at http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2014/floyd-mayweather-and-mayweather-promotions-fighters-media-workout-quotes/#ukf67vRqvYPKPxLD.99

Leonard Ellerbe Media Day Quotes:

LEONARD ELLERBE, CEO of Mayweather Promotions

“Mayweather is always ready for anyone.

“Maidana has tremendous punching power and can knock you out at any moment.

“Maidana should be ready for a toe-to-toe battle.

“THE MOMENT will be a tremendous fight. A must see event.

“Floyd has a unique talent that I’ve never seen before in my life. He’s better now than he was 12 years ago.

“Floyd’s preparation elevates him above the rest.

“J’Leon has matured as a fighter. This is going to be a very tough fight for him.”

“I have every bit of confidence that this is a challenge that J’Leon will prevail in and then be in a great position to challenge for the world title.”

Read more at http://www.eastsideboxing.com/2014/floyd-mayweather-and-mayweather-promotions-fighters-media-workout-quotes/#ukf67vRqvYPKPxLD.99

Richard Schaeffer Media Day Quotes:

RICHARD SCHAEFER, CEO GOLDEN BOY PROMOTIONS

“Floyd Mayweather did it again. He picked the most dangerous opponent he could have.

“It’s going to be a thrilling fight. Maidana is ready and he’s going to come to try to knock out Mayweather.

“It is always amazing to be at a Mayweather workout. The turnout is something to see.

“As a boxing fan, I cannot wait for May 3. THE MOMENT is going to be an unforgettable night of boxing.

“The whole card from top to bottom is something that no one is going to want to miss and the pay-per-view portion is one of the best, if not the best we have ever put together.”

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
I hope he does stand toe to toe with Maidana like he and Leonard Ellerbe says. I wanna see the legendary "Pretty Boy Floyd" in the ring on May 3rd......leave "Money Mayweather" at home:camby:

Can he do Maidana like he did Gatti, Corrales, and N'Dou? Yes.

Will he? That's what Im hoping to see....especially with him saying this stuff now.

Bring back "Pretty Boy Floyd" with the bald fade:blessed:

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
I hope he does stand toe to toe with Maidana like he and Leonard Ellerbe says. I wanna see the legendary "Pretty Boy Floyd" in the ring on May 3rd......leave "Money Mayweather" at home:camby:

Will he? That's what Im hoping to see....especially with him saying this stuff now.

Bring back "Pretty Boy Floyd" with the bald fade:blessed:

In those fights, though, Floyd boxed. His classic toe to toe battles (Mosley, Ortiz and SOME of the Guerrero fight) are ones where he doesn't box as much as he does fight. I think you mean you want to see him bring out his offensive skills. He may, but I doubt that happens, as Maidana is strong and can knock him off if he slips up.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
In those fights, though, Floyd boxed. His classic toe to toe battles (Mosley, Ortiz and SOME of the Guerrero fight) are ones where he doesn't box as much as he does fight. I think you mean you want to see him bring out his offensive skills. He may, but I doubt that happens, as Maidana is strong and can knock him off if he slips up.

Floyd didnt box against Gatti breh....he stood there and took him apart.

And I dont recall seeing that in the Mosley, Ortiz, and DEFINITELY not the Guerrero fight. He was on the move almost the entire Guerrero fight

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
And I dont recall seeing that in the Mosley,

I think that was the last time we saw shades of "Pretty Boy Floyd".

Shane hurt him with that right and Floyd immediately went :ufdup: and walked his ass down. If Shane didn't have such a great chin he would have got stopped imo.

I do think he will fight Maidana toe to toe though, Maidana won't have enough room to land those looping shots and Floyd will be catching him with shorter crisper shots all night. I think Floyd might fukk around and get a stoppage. :yes:

Robert Garcia did a VERY smart thing in the Broner fight told him to throw his rights over the top catching Broner on the top of his head/temple when he would shoulder roll. Ironically the 2nd right hand that hurt Floyd in the Mosley fight was the same type of shot looping over the top.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
I think that was the last time we saw shades of "Pretty Boy Floyd".

Shane hurt him with that right and Floyd immediately went :ufdup: and walked his ass down. If Shane didn't have such a great chin he would have got stopped imo.

I do think he will fight Maidana toe to toe though, Maidana won't have enough room to land those looping shots and Floyd will be catching him with shorter crisper shots all night. I think Floyd might fukk around and get a stoppage. :yes:

Robert Garcia did a VERY smart thing in the Broner fight told him to throw his rights over the top catching Broner on the top of his head/temple when he would shoulder roll. Ironically the 2nd right hand that hurt Floyd in the Mosley fight was the same type of shot looping over the top.

Imma have to rewatch the Mosley fight....I trust your boxing eyes:salute:

You know what though, I think by Broner losing to Maidana like he did was the worst thing that could have happened to Maidana as far as his chances against Floyd. Reason being, all the shots he caught Broner with will NOT work against Floyd because he already knows what to expect. Basically, Floyd got to see you against a weaker version of his style and see what you can/cannot do and will be prepared for all the over the top rights/looping left hooks/feints to the body only to redirect upstairs.....he's gonna be prepared for that.

I think Mayweather IS gonna take Maidana apart, because Maidana is probably the easiest opponent he's faced since Carlos Baldomir. I know someone is gonna come in here and say Ortiz, but Ortiz was faster and stronger than Maidana....plus he was naturally bigger and a lefty. Maidana has none of those advantages except power:manny:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Imma have to rewatch the Mosley fight....I trust your boxing eyes:salute:

You know what though, I think by Broner losing to Maidana like he did was the worst thing that could have happened to Maidana as far as his chances against Floyd. Reason being, all the shots he caught Broner with will NOT work against Floyd because he already knows what to expect. Basically, Floyd got to see you against a weaker version of his style and see what you can/cannot do and will be prepared for all the over the top rights/looping left hooks/feints to the body only to redirect upstairs.....he's gonna be prepared for that.

I think Mayweather IS gonna take Maidana apart, because Maidana is probably the easiest opponent he's faced since Carlos Baldomir. I know someone is gonna come in here and say Ortiz, but Ortiz was faster and stronger than Maidana....plus he was naturally bigger and a lefty. Maidana has none of those advantages except power:manny:

When you think about it, that's the crazy thing. Maidana isn't going to become some magically different fighter from that fight. We know what he is going to do. So, Floyd already knows how to counter it. The only thing that I'm curious to really see about this fight when Maidana tries to muscle Floyd and then he realizes that he can't do it.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
When you think about it, that's the crazy thing. Maidana isn't going to become some magically different fighter from that fight. We know what he is going to do. So, Floyd already knows how to counter it. The only thing that I'm curious to really see about this fight when Maidana tries to muscle Floyd and then he realizes that he can't do it.

Right. I think that's the biggest thing, because Floyd got to basically sit down and watch you go up against one of his "pupils", so to speak, and he's never had that advantage against any other fighter.

I wouldnt be surprised if Maidana got Gotti'd:manny:

HamAndEgger

All Star
Daps
I think we'll see the same Floyd to be honest. He sticks to what he does best and never puts himself in harms way. Im sure he'll be in front of Maidana at times, but I think we'll also see the huge gap in skills between Broner and Mayweather. Maidana is tough so I don't know about Floyd "Gatti'ing" Maidana, but he should win rather comfortably.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
I think we'll see the same Floyd to be honest. He sticks to what he does best and never puts himself in harms way. Im sure he'll be in front of Maidana at times, but I think we'll also see the huge gap in skills between Broner and Mayweather. Maidana is tough so I don't know about Floyd "Gatti'ing" Maidana, but he should win rather comfortably.

I've almost been convinced that he took this fight to make a point and saved himself from the ridicule of a Khan fight. It is true that a lot of his opponents come into the ring already defeated. Jeff Mayweather, in an interview, brought up something very interesting to me.

Once spurned, Jeff Mayweather offers perspective on Floyd's career arc, transformation | MLive.com

Jeff Mayweather, 49, has watched his nephew change from a defense-oriented, on-his-toes boxer to a settled veteran who stands in the pocket offensively, moves more strategically than ever, and has an answer for any incoming fire.

That may embolden some pressure-oriented fighters who have such success getting inside that they actually mistake it for winning rounds, he said.

He cited Miguel Cotto in 2012, and Robert Guerrero and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez in 2013, as fighters who may have fallen into that trap.

"You can be doing what you actually worked to do in the fight but not realize that what you're doing is not effective," Jeff Mayweather said. "So you're being beat without mentally even knowing it, because Floyd's changes are so subtle, they didn't realize it. After watching on film, they realize it. You're doing what you wanted to do, what you trained to do, but you don't realize that's it's not effective."

He's lucky fans have short memories of things because Maidana's losses to Alexander and Khan are largely things that have been glossed over. I consider myself to be a pragmatic, analytically sound person and I can look at things without bias. I'm a huge Floyd fan, but outside of the perfect punch like Tarver/Jones or Marquez/Pacquiao, I'm not seeing what Marcos can do to compete. They have a great PR team because the one punch ability of Marcos has been oversold like a motherfukker. AB was bring the fight to Marcos while being knocked down. That doesn't appear to me to be a man that possesses Julian Jackson like power. Good to great power? Yes. Something to be mindful of as an opponent? Yes, however, I think that a Shane is faster than Marcos and has more power than a Marcos. Anyways, back to my point of looking without bias, oddsmakers are like that as well and we see how wide these spreads are. They are like that for a reason. We will see that reason on May 3rd. As I've said, I just want to enjoy him for these last 4 fights.

Newzz

Supporter
Daps
I've almost been convinced that he took this fight to make a point and saved himself from the ridicule of a Khan fight. It is true that a lot of his opponents come into the ring already defeated. Jeff Mayweather, in an interview, brought up something very interesting to me.

Once spurned, Jeff Mayweather offers perspective on Floyd's career arc, transformation | MLive.com

He's lucky fans have short memories of things because Maidana's losses to Alexander and Khan are largely things that have been glossed over. I consider myself to be a pragmatic, analytically sound person and I can look at things without bias. I'm a huge Floyd fan, but outside of the perfect punch like Tarver/Jones or Marquez/Pacquiao, I'm not seeing what Marcos can do to compete. They have a great PR team because the one punch ability of Marcos has been oversold like a motherfukker. AB was bring the fight to Marcos while being knocked down. That doesn't appear to me to be a man that possesses Julian Jackson like power. Good to great power? Yes. Something to be mindful of as an opponent? Yes, however, I think that a Shane is faster than Marcos and has more power than a Marcos. Anyways, back to my point of looking without bias, oddsmakers are like that as well and we see how wide these spreads are. They are like that for a reason. We will see that reason on May 3rd. As I've said, I just want to enjoy him for these last 4 fights.

Exactly. I said this exact thing before.

With all the shots that Broner was getting hit with, cleanly at that, he was still walking down Maidana and even won the middle rounds of the fight (I gave Broner rounds 3, 5, 6, 7, and 12. And my scorecard had Maidana winning 114-111). Either Marco's power is overrated or Broner has a very good chin:manny:

I dont see Floyd being KO'd, but this is boxing....we never know, but I'll say I lean more towards Floyd totally dominating Maidana over Maidana getting the KO against a strong chinned Floyd with excellent defense

Last edited:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
Last time Floyd stood toe to toe was with Cotto. I don't think he's doing that with Chino. Then again...

I could be wrong :mjpls:

It makes sense to be in his face as Marcos is a straight line forward fighter. Back him up, he's at least 50% less effective. Fighting effectively on your backfoot takes talent. Old ass Erik Morales was doing that to Marcos when they fought. You know, so that 3-4 round trial period that Floyd normally uses to get acclimated to this fight, he won't need it. As Newzz stated, Floyd has had the luxury of watching his fight before he's fought it. To concede such an edge to Floyd is unfair.

To your point, he stood in the face of Canelo for quite a while. Robert Guererro, he moved more, might be because of the southpaw stance and Robert likes to grind out wins, lay on you while on the ropes. Best way to fight him? Fight with distance and pick him off with jabs and counters. Marcos needs space to get off his awkward punches. Best way to fight him? Get in his face and smother his aggression. Closing the distance as Maidana punches wide while Floyd is straight.

theflyest

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

No

The reason why is because his hands are too brittle. If it wasn't for that, he would definitely "Gatti" Maidana. He will get a comfortable UD.

Do I think he will move less in this fight? Yes

Reason why? Maidana can't fight moving backwards.