Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bama born and bred
Floyd Mayweather fails in challenge to Manny Pacquiao's preapproved gloves
53m - Boxing
  • i

Joe Tessitore, Boxing
Manny Pacquiao's boxing gloves, which had been approved by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for Saturday's fight with Floyd Mayweather, became the source of an 11th-hour dispute between the boxers' camps. About five hours after weighing in, the issue was settled.

The factory-sealed gloves had been inspected by the commission's executive director and chief inspector earlier this week. Shortly after the weigh-in at the MGM Grand Garden Arena, Pacquiao's camp was informed by the commission that Mayweather's representatives contested the use of Pacquiao's preferred Reyes-manufactured boxing gloves.

i

Floyd Mayweather's camp failed Friday in an attempt to contest Manny Pacquiao's gloves, which were approved by the Nevada State Athletic Commission. Mark J. Rebilas/USA TODAY Sports
According to those close to the situation, a contract exists between the two camps that states Mayweather will wear Grant-manufactured gloves, Pacquiao will wear Reyes gloves and neither set can be horse-hair-style boxing gloves. It's common for the inside padding of boxing gloves to be made from horse-hair, foam or a combination of both.

Mayweather's camp protested the commission's approval of Pacquiao's gloves, claiming the Reyes gloves are horse-hair style and do not satisfy the contract. Reyes gloves are commonly known as a puncher's glove among boxing insiders.

Mayweather's representatives noted the fight contract states that Les Moonves, president and CEO of CBS Corp., plays the role of arbiter for items involving the promotion which require mutual approval. Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter, feels that does not apply to the fighter's gloves. Moonves, who was instrumental in helping bridge the sides for the long anticipated fight, was informed of the dispute this afternoon.

Pacquiao's representatives, including Top Rank's president Todd deBoef, Freddie Roach's adviser/agent Nick Khan and attorney Daniel Petrocelli huddled in a room just behind the arena floor where the commission was holding the glove selection process. Pacquiao's representatives stood firm in their position that Moonves has no jurisdiction over the Nevada State Athletic Commission's inspection and approval of fighter equipment. They were asked by the commission to return for a further review of the gloves at 7:15 pm PT. At that meeting, Mayweather's reps acquiesced, both sides chose their preapproved gloves and moved forward.

A similar issue was brought forth by Mayweather prior to his May 3, 2014 fight with Marcos Maidana, when the commission did not approve the gloves put forth by Mayweather's opponent. However, in this case Pacquiao's gloves had been inspected, approved and held in the possession of the commission to avoid any threat to the pay-per-view bout going on as scheduled.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...enge-manny-pacquiao-preapproved-gloves-denied

I think Floyd wins, but shyt like this is the reason why if Pac fukks him up, I'm laughing my black ass off.

Last edited:

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
Lets see the struggle team spin this :beli:

As AMAZING as Floyd is in ring some of his actions out of the ring are just :scust:

nikka Roy and Toney moved up to heavyweight and was like fukk your gloves playboy let's do this. Floyd fighting a nikka he has called "a midget" but he worried about that midgets gloves that were approved by the commission. :camby:

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Complain that a glove helps punchers in a sport where 100% of your offense is from punches brehs.

Well, they actually do.

That's the reason why Floyd didn't want Maidana in those MX Gloves the 2nd time around and why alot of us regulars were surprised he agreed to let Pacquiao wear the Cleto Reyes gloves because they are so similar.

Daps
Reppin
The Sweet Science
Well, they actually do.

That's the reason why Floyd didn't want Maidana in those MX Gloves the 2nd time around and why alot of us regulars were surprised he agreed to let Pacquiao wear the Cleto Reyes gloves because they are so similar.

Breh If Maidana doesn't try to use oven mitts instead of boxing gloves that shyt would have never happened