George Lucas Criticizes New Star Wars Films (Article)

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
To me, his whole assessment came across as a negative, so by that he is wrong. He sounding like he saw the cutless he sold was rolling down the street with rims and Chief Keef bumping out the trunk, then felt his soul fall apart.

I don't think it comes across as negative. It comes across as "hey, it's not what I'd do, but more power to them" and as the creator of it, he's got every right to feel however he's going to feel about it, whether we agree or don't.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
He's got a point and I understand where he's coming from. I really don't want Star Wars to just become fan fiction for real.

Pretty much. I accepted it here because it's been nearly 40 years since the OG trilogy started so a bit of familiarity is cool but I wouldn't want them to keep rehashing the same plot beats for the rest of the movies.

Swiggy

The King of Comedy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
I don't think it comes across as negative. It comes across as "hey, it's not what I'd do, but more power to them" and as the creator of it, he's got every right to feel however he's going to feel about it, whether we agree or don't.
I guess I have a hard time seeing someone get 4 billy for something, then having anything to say that's not "I LOVED IT, AND IT'S EXCITING TO SEE WHERE THE FRANCHISE IS HEADING FROM HERE!" :laugh:

$4 Billion...

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Pretty much. I accepted it here because it's been nearly 40 years since the OG trilogy started so a bit of familiarity is cool but I wouldn't want them to keep rehashing the same plot beats for the rest of the movies.

Yeah that shyt will get old. But JJ is great at establishing tone and mimicking what someone did before him and recapturing that tone. Cool, we've done it now, let's move on

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
He's got a point and I understand where he's coming from. I really don't want Star Wars to just become fan fiction for real.
I give TFA a pass because it was basically a re-introduction to the Star Wars universe that served as a palate cleanser for those terrible Lucas made prequels. However I am expecting a bit more originality or as much originality as a movie based on this unvierse can have) from Rian Johnson with the next flick.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I guess I have a hard time seeing someone get 4 billy for something, then having anything to say that's not "I LOVED IT, AND IT'S EXCITING TO SEE WHERE THE FRANCHISE IS HEADING FROM HERE!" :laugh:

$4 Billion...

Because you're looking at it purely from a financial standpoint and not from a creative standpoint. To you, and to most of us on here, we'd say "fukk it, I got 4 bullion for it so let them cook" but when you create something man, you're always going to be attached to it regardless. Always. You're always going to have opinions on what someone is doing with your baby and its legacy. You're lying to yourself if you say otherwise.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
To me, his whole assessment came across as a negative, so by that he is wrong. He sounding like he saw the cutless he sold was rolling down the street with rims and Chief Keef bumping out the trunk, then felt his soul fall apart.[/QUO

Or its a great singer who heard there is someone doing a cover song of a classic he created. He hears it and says, "It's very good :leon:, but you're singing it way too familiar and not really adding anything to it":ld:

That singer has the right to say it. Just take it and keep it moving.

If he keeps speaking up about it then that's a problem. Right now, he just called it how he saw it.:manny:

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Honestly I think any O.G creator would have this type criticism in this situation.

Just think about it. How much work is involved in rehashing old material rather. George Lucas was prob bored watching this movie.

Yeah it makes sense. I'm sure there were times after Stan Lee stopped writing spider-man that he looked at what the new writers were doing and felt like "wow what the fukk?" I'm sure the clone saga pissed him off

Lord Scion

Quality Games
Supporter
Daps
I wish Lucas would just say fukk it and lay out his original vision for the new trilogy in some blog post or some shyt. Ain't like it's canon anyway, though it would be in my mind seeing it's coming from the creator himself.

And he got a point, I'm not knocking TFA it was a good movie but JJ pretty much did what Puff Daddy did in the 90s and take a sample, loop it, and add fresh faces to the track while being awll in the promotion.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I wish Lucas would just say fukk it and lay out his original vision for the new trilogy in some blog post or some shyt. Ain't like it's canon anyway, though it would be in my mind seeing it's coming from the creator himself.

And he got a point, I'm not knocking TFA it was a good movie but JJ pretty much did what Puff Daddy did in the 90s and take a sample, loop it, and add fresh faces to the track while being awll in the promotion.

So you saying he's a wack nikka taking a loop, re looping it thinking it was going to be the sound of the culture? Trying to make this shyt R&B or funk? You saying he's dressing up in all that playa bullshyt? Acting like this some kind of fashion show? running on nikkas with that wack shyt?

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You gotta understand this is a man that created one of the greatest fantasy universes of all time. And for 40 years, he was the only say so on what could be produced for the STAR WARS universe. Even if he really was nothing more than a figure head for the EXPANDED UNIVERSE (which consists of so many books and comics I've never heard of) they still were filtered through his company with his company's oversight. So, I can understand it being a little jarring to see TFA rehashing a lot of shyt he did 40 years ago. And to be honest he has a point. I think most STAR WARS fans will admit they wished TFA had more fresh creative ideas and direction.

But I do believe Rian Johnson is going to be the one to bring a new perspective and fresh ideas to this franchise.